Cat nips only me!

Jefhrn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our new 2 1/2 year old adopted Solo has started nipping at me, not my husband or son. We have plenty of playtime, he has hiding and climbing places, and he is regularly fed and watered. It happens when I’m just sitting near him, putting out my hand for him to smell, after playtime and even just walking into a room. I don’t know if this was considered acceptable In his previous home (he was sent to a shelter after the previous owner developed allergies) but I need some tips on how to make it stop. Any ideas would be welcomed, thanks
EB240B00-FB12-450F-ABB9-C33F76BC6C2D.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a bag of treats in places where you sit. If he nips you, say ow! and pull your hand away. If he does it again, walk away. But. If he comes up to you and interacts in a positive way, reward that with a treat. You can’t discipline bad behavior in cats. That doesn’t work. But you can reward good behavior. They do learn that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Also, observe what your husband and son do differently than you when interacting with Solo. See if you notice any differences, and if so, then mimic their mannerisms. You might also consider that perfumes/soaps/medications that you use - not used by your husband or son - could be the culprit.

And, take a look at this article to see if there are any tips in it that you might want to try.
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was most likely separated too young from his cat family and never learned how to play nice. Yelling ouch and walking away usually works, distraction works great. I would get a kickeroo on Amazon and throw that for him to tackle if he seems intent on nipping. Cats are instinctively more leery of males, they move differently and are usually bolder in their interactions with cats. His nipping may be love bites, he doesn't realize that nipping is bringing the wrong kind of attention he is craving. Since he is new I would venture that letting him know this is not acceptable, and giving him at least 6 months to settle in will work. If it doesn't, or it escalates, come back and we will give you tips on how to stop this behavior. There are ways to stop it that cats understand.