Cat Nip

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you give your cats the nip? My cats all like cat nip, my kitten loves it. he goes a bit nuts, in a fun way with the nip. I got a new one today. Meowijuana meowi-waui from Chewy. LOL.... Cats LOVE this stuff. it smells quite strong, and the cats all went crazy for it. So if you have a cat that loves the nip it might be worth a try :) One of mine goes a bit wild, the other three seem to mellow out when they get cat nip.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have cat nip toys for Toffee and Fudge but they haven't been going crazy for it like a lot of cats do, although I do remember when we first got them and bought cap nip bags for them, they did really like trying to get the cat nip out of the bag. We bought some catnip bubbles for them but they hate them - I'm convinced that they're at least half-human!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So there's another thread on catnip over in 'cat behavior'-- some cute pics and stories over there if you're interested.

Someone there said that kittens don't develop an interest in catnip right away, so maybe Toffee and Fudge are too young still?

My girls both love the stuff, and I don't remember there being a 'learning curve' but it's been a long time since I had a real kitten (I got Juniper at 8 months).

The spray is great for convincing them to do stuff like use their scratchers.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So there's another thread on catnip over in 'cat behavior'-- some cute pics and stories over there if you're interested.

Someone there said that kittens don't develop an interest in catnip right away, so maybe Toffee and Fudge are too young still?

My girls both love the stuff, and I don't remember there being a 'learning curve' but it's been a long time since I had a real kitten (I got Juniper at 8 months).

The spray is great for convincing them to do stuff like use their scratchers.....
I did think i was posting in behavior, lol guess i had been in the nip too :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what i have been told too. Supposed to be interested around the age of 6 months BUT I have not found that to be true. Somewhere in my photos I have a picture of a pet kitten that is about 3 months old playing with a meowy cigar. She was TOTALLY stoned!

Attachments

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Interesting - Toffee and Fudge are going to be 7 months later this month.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not only does it take kittens time to grow interest in cat nip not all cats are even affected by it. It's a genetic thing, so generally related cats will either all react to it or not, it's something like 1 in 3 or maybe 1 in 4 cats aren't affected. Of my 10 cats all but one loves catnip (but most are related), so I actually grow my own catnip for them.

That is what i have been told too. Supposed to be interested around the age of 6 months BUT I have not found that to be true. Somewhere in my photos I have a picture of a pet kitten that is about 3 months old playing with a meowy cigar. She was TOTALLY stoned!
I think it's that if they are going to react to it they will by the time they are 6 months, so they can react to it sooner. It's probably just that it can take some cats up to 6 months for their senses to develop enough for the catnip to affect them.