Cat newly diagnosed w. kidney disease

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats was diagnosed with kidney disease about a week ago. The vet sent me home with a sampler box of canned and dried Sciece Diet kidney diet foods. My cat liked the chows and all the flavors of the canned, so after a few days I contacted the vet and ordered several boxes of various cans and a large bag of the dried food. Luna now seems to have decided she doesn't like the dried food. While I'm working on getting her to use a Sure Feed, I have to physically separate her and her mother in different rooms when I feed them and pick up bowls of uneaten dried food when I let them get back together. Luna's dish of chows generally seems untouched. I realize all of this is a change, not just the diet but the periodically closed doors (and the fact that I sometimes have to shoo one of them into another room to separate them) and an increase in the level of tension as I worry about who is or isn't eating what. The vet told me I could get Royal Canin dry or canned food if Luna didn't like the SD, but I just bought a supply that should last a month or more. I figure that is she's really hungry she'll eat, and for the most part she is eating the canned foods (more often when a can is newly opened than when it's been refrigerated and reheated with a few seconds in the microwave on low power). I want her to eat the right food and stay healthy, but this whole thing seems to be going downhill. Luna is a somewhat skittish cat, prone to hiding under the bed or in the closet if her routine is upset, so I can understand that all the new things are affecting her. Is there anything I should do except give her time and try to be patient?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! My boy never has really liked refrigerated leftovers either.

I think if you hang on to the kibble, she may come around to eating it again. Just have it stored so that it's sealed well.

Try some cat music - it can sometimes be really effective in helping a cat to relax. There's Cat In My Arms on spotify and elsewhere, youtube has cat music collections, and there is RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as well.

You might also consider a purr toy or a heartbeat toy and a marshmallow bed for her to help reduce the anxiety.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had three kidney cats, and none of them liked the dry prescription food. I finally figured out that wet food with extra water added was better for them anyway, since they tend to be so thirsty. Also they tend to lose their appetites quickly. That's a trait of kidney cats. I found that feeding several small meals throughout the day and night helped.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Science diet is 100% guaranteed. Which means if your cat won't eat it, you can return it to your vet for a refund.