Cat Neuter @ Low Cost gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for being so supportive! Here is snippits of the convos bt the board member and I. Also of note, the clinic she took him to is a 40 minute drive, the one I wanted him to go to is 5 minutes from me.
20220201_012643.jpg
20220201_013056.jpg
20220201_013408.jpg
20220201_013316.jpg
20220201_012855.jpg
20220201_013510.jpg

I still dont feel right about this situation. I don't believe he ate or drank anything. Only paying for a clinic 40 miles away? I just dont know.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MJ has a brother I believe to be anyway. They were both dumped at my home some months back. Both SUPER sweet. As it turns out his brother, Cecil, was already neutered.

I have made an appt to be examined, Feleuk/FIV tested next Monday at my Vet. I'll come up w the money somehow. The board member keeps telling me that most likely Cecil is Negative. These two were bosom buddies, always by each others sides. Cecil is going to be absolutely LOST without his brother. When I asked if Cecil could go to the Vet today as well, my question was ignored and then always, "Im sure hes fine." Here are the two.

20220201_205641.jpg
20220201_205717.jpg
20220201_205746.jpg
20220201_205904.jpg

I am seriosuly questioning getting out of Rescue.

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Don't worry about that." ?
"The less you say the better." ??

Her responses don't sit right with me. Chalk it up to gut feelings but none of her replies make me feel good. Sounds like she cares more about her image than the health of him. She silenced you. I hate that you are going through this. :(

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry any of this happened and I don’t see what right they had to euthanize him without your permission. I also feel they should have paid for him to go to the vet if your choice because I believe feral or not it’s your cat and you were the one caring for him. My heart goes out to you.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Don't worry about that." ?
"The less you say the better." ??

Her responses don't sit right with me. Chalk it up to gut feelings but none of her replies make me feel good. Sounds like she cares more about her image than the health of him. She silenced you. I hate that you are going through this. :(
EXACTLY!! Why would she not tell me what food he supposedly eat? Would that not be IMPORTANT info for me to have, IF he were coming back to me? It was said "He was SEVERELY dehydrated." I had just given him LR's Sub-Q Fluids before she picked him up insistent to take him to Vet. Plus he was supposedly drinking some? I'm right on the edge of putting everything out there.

Also, another rescue had 6 S/N's done that day. One was for a special needs man, for his cat. When they got home and went to unload all the kitties, they opened the carrier to discover the man's cat was dead. Full rigor. This rescue has announced retiring their TNR aspect of the rescue due to this clinic being "horrid and unsafe."

These ladies NEVER say a negative word about anyone or anything I have ever witnessed.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren’t all animal clinics required to have SOME sort of supervision by an outside entity to maintain standards? Is there no surveillance footage of what happened? I feel as if I’m reading a lot these days on TCS about botched jobs and and vets too harried to make a careful decision. The way you describe it, it’s almost as if this woman (and/or whomever put him in the carrier) might be suffering from some sort of traumatic stress disorder from dealing w/ so many animals. Agreed w/ others sager than myself that something does not add up here. Best of luck w/ figuring out what to do— :hearthrob:.

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
"IF he were coming back to me?" YES! I had the same reaction reading that...like it was already decided he was going to be euthanized, which makes me so sick to say. My god, that poor man. I would be in shambles. To load a cat in a carrier already deceased...unbelievable. We can not tell you what to do of course, but potential patients need to know this information. It's not defamation, don't let them silence you or threaten you. God forbid I ever took my cat some place who clearly does not care about the animals. Why would you continue using a clinic that is not safe??? They make no sense, only to JUST now not use it. There were other casualties probably...This needs to be public. Margot Lane Margot Lane I noticed the same trend, as of late I have been seeing so many postings about things going wrong or animals passing away from a S/N, it hurts my heart. kmbishop111 kmbishop111 I pray you can heal from this one day, please keep us updated on anything else these people might try to do or say to you. We support you. Thank you for posting the pics of the two boys, in such a heartbreaking thread, it is at least precious to see him when he was in good spirits. He was beautiful. You loved him as your own, which is all we can do as cat/animal lovers. I am sending you all my support.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aren’t all animal clinics required to have SOME sort of supervision by an outside entity to maintain standards? Is there no surveillance footage of what happened? I feel as if I’m reading a lot these days on TCS about botched jobs and and vets too harried to make a careful decision. The way you describe it, it’s almost as if this woman (and/or whomever put him in the carrier) might be suffering from some sort of traumatic stress disorder from dealing w/ so many animals. Agreed w/ others sager than myself that something does not add up here. Best of luck w/ figuring out what to do— :hearthrob:.
The even sadder part is I worked for this clinic for years, a long time ago as a Tech. I've lost all respect and trust in this Vet. Their are no cameras in the clinic and Im afraid in cutting corners the foundation that partnered w them may have had some untrained people helping. I have made a comment on my TNR page expressing just an inkling of my feelings about what happened. This is a small town and most people have no clue of things like this that happen.

20220202_010955.jpg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of Mocha Joe, kmbishop111 kmbishop111 . :frown: :rbheart:
What a heartbreaking thing to have happened. :alright:

Can I ask you if there is a Standard Policy in place, with the group that you do the TNR with?
...or is this just the usual policy of this Foundation?

I didn't know that cats who test positive are automatically euthanized.
It seems strange, since what I've read here, on the Cat Site, and online, said that the way that the viruses are transmitted...are either through mating, deep bites, or from mama cats to kittens.

Wouldn't that mean that most of the area's feral cats...would already have been exposed to these viruses, especially if mating and fighting had already occurred?
It just seems wrong that cat caretakers like you...have your choices taken away.

It's true what that lady said about the cost of doing s/n...but why would she not want to help Mocha Joe get better, versus wanting him euthanized? Her reasons sounded really 'out to left field'. And it did sound like she had already decided the outcome.
That is so extremely sad, to worry about her Foundation's contacts and how others perceive them, rather than the treatment of the actual cats.

What you are doing is amazing, and difficult work,...to help the outside feral cats...by doing TNR,...to ensure that the cats within the colony are spayed and neutered ..so that they cannot spread illnesses through mating,...and also to control the cat population.
I just never knew that policies of 'automatic euthanasia' existed when it came to feral cats...who tested positive.

I read that there can be many false positives, if only the 'Elisa snap test' are done.
Protocols: Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) and Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) Testing

I don't know, since I'm not involved in TNR,...but I am sending you thoughts of Peace and Strength...so that you can continue the work that you do, and not have to deal with all these 'backroom politics'. :hugs: :grouphug: :touched:

Last edited:

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is extremely sad and uneducated. I have one supporter whom sponsors most all TNR's. This supporter, who was also the founder of our local animal shelter, will only do so if the guideline of positive Feleuk/FIV equals euthanasia. I try to not have this test done for this reason and various other reasons such as you mentioned. It is a death sentence where I live.

So this anonymous supporter is also backing the low/cost spay neuter clinic foundation. So yes, everyone is in bed together so to speak.

So in order for me to do any good? I am at the mercy of several people.

Mocha Joe paid the price for this today and I am contemplating hanging up my hat as I am tired. I'm tired of backwoods politics. Im emotionally, financially, and physically drained at this moment.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've also dealt with rescue people who think that FIV is worse than FeLV. . .and it definitely isn't. And they aren't willing to discuss the matter either. There's no reason to euthanize an FIV+ cat. It's barely contagious, except by deep bites and sexual contact, both of which are mostly prevented by s/n, and it's not that fatal. My mom has a 12-year-old FIV+ cat who has never been sick a day in her life (or course others may have worse symptoms). So once they say that I lose all respect for them.

FeLV is another matter, and I don't even know what the proper thing to do might be. FeLV cats rarely live more than a couple of years, and it's much more contagious. So maybe euthanizing is the right thing to do, especially if they're already sick. I just don't know.

Sorry for the loss, and your trouble with the rescues.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In a strange turn of events, the assistant that was in charge of making sure all of the neuters were awake, reached out to me today. We have a history of working together at this clinic for years, and both went off different but similar directions w Rescue.

She told me that Mocha Joe was one of the earlier ones to wake up from surgery and had held his head up. I don't know why he went back unconcious after being placed in the carrier.

She advised that the other cat had a head injury that passed away. I'm not sure why a Vet would proceed w anesthesia and surgery under those circumstances but it happened. :(

I'm pretty certain that the lady from the foundation that took Mocha Joe had one thing in mind for him and one thing only. I will be severing ties with her. I feel like I was pushed in a corner, manipulated, and lied to for her and the foundation's image. That part makes me literally sick!! And Mocha Joe paid the ultimate price.

I have had health problems, a cpl strokes and my memory and ability to focus sometimes aren't what they used to be. I feel like she put me on the spot with "if you truly want to help him, let me take him to the Vet so you can get some rest." This one is not going to be easy to get "over", but I hope some good can come out of this horrible situation.

I do have a platform to educate about FIV/Feleuk positive cats. Its time to start changing hearts and minds in my little neck of the woods once again. For Mocha Joe :redheartpump:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This was a horrible story.
With Feral cats that are being spayed and neutered, I understand euthanasia if they are FELV positive. It is very sad but FELV is deadly and is contagious with close contact between cats for an extended time.
If an FELV pos cat can be kept inside, great!!

FIV used to be considered a death sentence but is now more of a manageable disease. It lowers the cats immune system but kept inside they can live long happy lives if medical care is kept up.

I don’t know what happened to your cat. I am sorry for the outcome. I think the way everything was handled afterwards is shady and shows lacking of very basic cat information on the rescues part.

I am sorry about all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.