Cat Neuter @ Low Cost gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LSS. we had a lowcost s/n clinic today where I live. I took in 6 ferals/strays/adoptees. 3 spays, 3 neuters. 5 were Tabby cats, but 2 looked remarkebly similar. All carriers/traps clearly marked and paperwork taped to traps/carriers.

Fast forward to me picking up all 6. They were in diff carriers, and one stray. Mocha Joe who weighs ab 8 lbs, was crammed head first into a XS kitten size carrier. :( Lifeless, got him home, had to take the carrier apart to get him out. He starts automatically, aggressively pawing at his mouth. I get him in his large dog crate that I have set up for everyone in "recovery suite" and he finally chills out. Temp is bt 70 -75 degrees in the room.

He has been lethargic. eating a 1/2 3oz can of wet food since surgery. Ill attach a pic of the surgery site. I cant reach the Vet or any Vet in my area as it's the weekend. I'm very concerned ab this sweet boy. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No change, he is resting. I at first wondered if he was accidentally prepped for a spay, but he would have been shaved before intubated, if that were the case. (Tracheal tear) I just don't know whats going on with him. He has pawed at his mouth a couple times recently again.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Similar happened to me. Brought in 10 strays and every one came back a mess. I spent 800$ getting them fixed up at a real vet.
Pawing at the mouth, he may have irritation from the oxygen? Is he eating OK? Going to the bathroom? Did he sleep? Hope he's better today!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do none of the vets in your area have an after hours voicemail message with who to call for emergencies?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you had such a miserable time, and that Mocha Joe was treated so badly. Given how you found him in the carrier, it sounds as if he was certainly jostled around and not handled carefully and shoved head first. A tracheal tear would result in coughing and gagging....not saying that he could not have one though....and the pawing at the mouth makes me think that maybe his face or teeth hit something hard enough to cause pain. You probably can't see into his mouth?

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness, fluids aren't helping. :( I got a brief glipse inside his mouth, nothing remarkable that stands out. However, I looked at his surgery site and snapped a pic. Does anything look odd to anyone else? It appears they may have clipped his anal area. Fixing to go check on him again and see if hes awake. Poor sweet boy.
Screenshot_20220131-030021_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20220131-030411_Video Player.jpg

My seeet little Mocha Joe

20220131_031841.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am wondering if the pawing at the mouth was in reaction to having been shoved in the carrier but that it was not significant of any issue once he was removed and treated appropriately. Has he stopped pawing at his mouth?

If fluids aren't helping, especially given that this was only a neutering and he should not be this hard hit, can you get him to a vet?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the symptoms? Only the mouth pawing and lethargy/inappetance or are there any other symptoms?

I don't think they clipped his anal area. He'd be missing some fur there if the clipper strayed. It's probably from straining. Has he pooped since he's been home?

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just getting off work. Oh my, I posted his story on my FB TNR page early this AM. The low cost was sponsored by a Foundation and were onsite at the clinic. I know everyone involved very well. Immediately I receive a message from a board member of the foundation. She offered to pay for the Vet visit at a different Vet, but needed to pick him up RIGHT then to take him and try to be worked in. He was not able to be worked in. She still has him and is going to try again today. She asked for anything involving the foundation and Vet be removed from the FB post in any shape or form. Specifically he was going to another Vet. Otherwise she would not pay for the Vet visit.

I suggested another closer Vet that Im friends with, and would only pay at Vet of her choosing. This Vet is known to euthanize without any actual health concerns.

I just have a sick gut feeling ab this, but Im bt a rock and a hard place and maybe just being paranoid? Keep in mind he was not interested in AMY food whatsoever or drinking water last night. He is magically eating for her. Something just doesnt add up.

Wanting to test for Feleuk/FIV and Euth if positive for either.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
At first, this sounded okay. The foundation was going to make this right, just up until they might euthanize your cat. I don't like this at all; it not only sounds suspicious, but also as if you are backed into a corner where you have to remain silent, whatever happens, if you let them take the cat off your hands.

What is the proof that he ate just fine with this person? Only her word?

I hate to say it, but there are a couple of vets around here who are known to easily euthanize. One works only with breeders and will cull entire litters who are not up to perfect breed standards, and the other one works with rescues. The dark side of the rescue movement is that it is often made to appear successful if the unadoptable animals are taken out of the equation.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suggested another closer Vet that Im friends with, and would only pay at Vet of her choosing. This Vet is known to euthanize without any actual health concerns.
If you have paypal, I'll donate for your cat to go to the closer Vet for a consult, he may just need a little mirtazipine to get him going again. At my vet the visit plus meds might be 100 or 200$. Not sure what your vet would charge, but I'm up for it if it's something similar to that.
Hate to think of him being put down just to clear up a public relations issue for the foundation. It sounds super sketchy to me.

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
This makes my stomach hurt...I agree with fionasmom fionasmom entirely. I pray nothing bad happens to him. The dark side of the rescue makes me nauseous. Do you have an update yet? I really hope nothing happens to him, and if something does, kittymama18 kittymama18 is right. Expose it. So this doesn't happen to another poor animal who doesn't deserve it. I am so sorry you are going through this. We're here for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.