Cat neuter area concern

Chai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, my cat, chai have been neutered for about 15 days now and he is suppose to take his cone off yesterday. However, his area seems a bit weird to me. It had started scabbing and part of it is peeling off. I shown a picture to the vet and they said it was perfectly normal and he is good to go. But more of the scab fell off and the vet is closed now. Should I be concern?
140347777_487581452636319_8909080383584821829_n.jpg
140512219_1396531894012094_6344367764995141520_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks a little red, those areas are most likely where the scabs came off. It looks like there is a small drop of drainage on the bottom right of your photo. It is still somewhat clear though, but you may keep an eye on it in case it gets worse or turns thick and yellow/white/green. Wounds always seem to get worse before they get better. If you have had the vet look at it and they approve of how it is healing, and he is still eating, drinking, and using the litterbox, it is most likely fine. If he starts hiding or stops eating, call your vet right away. While he has his cone on, you might apply a little triple antibiotic, or antibiotic you have on hand, or gently wipe the area with a half peroxide, have water mixture once. Make sure the antibiotics have NO pain relievers in them, that is not good for cats. They also have wound sprays for cats at your local farm supply store like Tractor Supply. I would take the cone off tomorrow, he will lick the area somewhat but it is healed enough to take it now. I have never used a cone when my cats were neutered and they all came through fine. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
I took him to the vet and apparently it’s on the borderline of being infected. They provided us with antibiotics and a cream to apply to his area. Sadly, he has to keep the cone on for another week and has to go back to the vet next week for another check up.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You did the right thing to take him back. Just remember that you are doing everything for his own good and his health when he tries to guilt you about the cone.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for giving us an update, it is appreciated! I'm glad you took him in, thank goodness it is early in the infection process, you are very observant!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good, I was going to say it shouldn't look like that after 2 weeks! I'm glad it's taken care of now.