Cat needs to gain weight. What to feed?

67Dsophie567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adopted a cat a few months ago-- transitioned well I thought! Month later she had a lot of gas. Started to get thin. I then went back to Science Diet for sensitive stomachs (she was eating this in foster care) mixed with Iams. I'm giving her a teaspoon of milk every day as well as wet food too. My other cat who was brought up on Iams/Purina (18 yrs) is now gaining weight too. Lots of great info-- will try the powdered cat milk and more treats for the adopted one.

JanieG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's October of 2017, and I just stumbled upon this thread. I'm also looking for a way to fatten up a very active Siamese who will only eat dry food. I'll get some kitten kibble and see if that will help.

Thanks!

JKJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is December 7, 2017, and I have just found this thread. I am so thankful as it has given me others ideas that I can try for my cat, Zoey, who has hyperthyroidism. Two years ago, she went from 12 pounds to 6 pounds when my husband was in the hospital for 2 months, and I wasn't home very much. Our other 2 cats seems to handle this fine, but we are all different, aren't we? This past summer she dropped an additional 2 pounds when we went on vacation for 1 week. She has gained 1 pound since June, but this last 24 hours, she has not eaten and is sitting on the floor vent inwhich the heat comes up into the room. I will try the baby food, egg yolk, kitten food, and Wysong dry food. Not all at once, of course, but when I get home today, she is getting some egg yolk. Thank you all.

Jackie Roland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First step, I would think, would be to offer her the highest-quality (i.e. grain-free) canned foods you can get your hands on. Nature's Variety Instincts, Evo 95% Meat, some Wellness, Natural Balance, Felidae and Go! Natural are all good choices. A rotation through several of these would be better than a diet of only one or two.

I would also feed her at least three times a day; if you can, four would be even better - cats often consume more in total when they're fed several smaller meals (not to mention, it's just better for them).

Then (looking at this strictly from a nutritional / weight perspective), I'd start adding real meat to her diet. Little bits of chicken, beef, turkey, any non-enhanced meat (which means no deli bits, etc.).

You can add real meat up to 10% of her diet (after that, you'll need to start balancing the raw meat with bone-in meals and organ meats).

One of my girls, Rachel, is also long-haired and has been thin her entire life. It wasn't until I put my cats on a fully raw diet that she gained enough weight to make me happy. She's still thin, but she's no longer scary thin like she used to be. It's a terrible feeling to pet your kitty and feel all her ribs and hip bones jutting out.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

AC