Cat Needs Pills Twice a Day. How Best to Fit Into Day?

bwcting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wondering what other people do for their cats who need medications twice a day. I've been working from home so it has not been a problem.

We currently pill twice a day around 8:30 both in the morning and at night. So whenever I have dinner plans, it becomes a headache. So would love to hear what other people do with their cats in similar case.

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you work from home, is giving medication later in the morning and late at night (like before you go to sleep) an option so it doesn't interfere with you having dinner plans?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Whenever I have dinner plans and have to give medication in the evening I either give it before I leave or when I get home. Since it's only once in awhile I don't have a problem giving the medicine a little earlier or later. If your cat's medicine has to be given 12 hrs. apart then I would suggest giving the morning dose at an earlier or later time to balance out the evening dose.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What meds are you giving? Most meds are ok giving them at least 8 hours apart, it doesn't need to be exactly 12 hours.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet what to do in such situations. Some medicines can be given +/- a hour or two with no ill effect to the cat. Others need to be given consistently at the same time every day (more or less). You may be able to adjust the dose times on a day when you will be out for dinner, like give the morning dose later than usual so that the evening dose is right around when you return home.

There's also the option of having someone give the evening dose for you. A friend, neighbor, pet sitter, vet tech from your vet's office, etc.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby has to have two of her meds twice a day (thyroid and pain) and I try as best I can to give 12 hours apart. But, to help with limiting stress on her (I have to force feed them to her with a syringe), the best I can do is within +/- an hour each way. I also think if there is an occasional slip to greater than the +/- hour, it is no big deal. Most med instructions, cats and humans alike, usually tell you if you 'forget' a dose and it is close to the normal scheduled time when you remember, to go ahead and take the dose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bwcting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the great suggestions! Will consult the vet next and take all advice into considerations.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty takes twice a day meds. I work from home as well. I chose early shift with Betty because it lines up better with the end of my workday and the beginning of our evening. Not that I have had evening plans in a couple years, but they are always after work. So Betty’s medicine meals are 6am and 6pm. She gets other meals in the day (at noon, 8:30pm, and midnight.). But the meds are at the sixes. Betty likes to join me on the kitchen counter and cheer me on. It makes those 5:30am alarms worth waking for. Then after she’s taken her meds and eaten some food in the morning med meal, we both go back to bed to snuggle and sleep for a couple hours before I wake up for my breakfast. Those early mornings aren’t so bad. 😽🥰😘😻

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twyla takes meds twice a day - I keep within a one hour window between 7:00 and 8:00 am and pm. But sometimes life intervenes and I may have to be late or early. If I do get off schedule I try to keep 10 hours between doses, so the morning dose may be pushed later and then I will work the time back over the course of a couple of days. I don’t work in the summer so it’s easy right now, but it gets more complicated when I am working as I often have evening commitments.