cat nails questions

mmylosx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello! i’m a first time cat owner and so i’m not sure about what would be considered normal and what would be considered abnormal so i wanted to ask a few questions about their claws. i have cut my cat’s nails before and have noticed these things over time and wanted to know if these things are normal or not. apologies beforehand for the bad pictures & even worse attempt at explaining them

so, the first and second picture are generally about the same thing. in pic 1, his claw looks a bit rough as opposed to the usual. the second picture however is what i am slightly more concerned about. it seems as if his nail is slightly split at the place in which the arrow is pointing to, the part between the white and the clearish bits, is this something to be concerned about? is it normal?
61A20AFB-C668-4C01-B21B-AA884D817B06.jpeg 3647837D-DE30-48F8-9F6F-19D1B2430110.jpeg

second question is about picture three. this is one of his claws on his feet that has a very different colour to all of his other claws, with a darker tint to it. i wanted to know if this was normal or if its something that i should also be concerned about? 133166A5-99AA-4188-BDAE-69F4F7EE7E50.jpeg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! 1&2 are photos of what it looks like when I cat needs to shed the outer lawyer of the claw. They do this by scratching and/or by cleaning their feet and pulling these off. You might notice these nail peices on your floor sometimes. It's very normal..

#3 photo is just a different colour. It's normal for some cats to have different colour claws and skins areas just like with patches of fur. Black nails are most common in the colours black, Calico and tortoise shell. An interesting fact is that different colour nails happen in dogs too!

Calcifer, my black cat has all white nails except two black ones. My late cat Lily was a black cat who had all white nails. Our other two cats are orange so their nails are all white.