Cat nail missing??

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat was playing and he hit the wall which injured his nail, it bent slightly and was bleeding. we took him to the vet and they prescribed him antibiotics, pain medicine and gel to apply on the wound. it was getting much better but still poking out a little. after a few days i noticed that it wasn't poking out anymore and assumed it retracted back into his paw. this morning when i was cutting his nails i pressed his little toe out and noticed there was no nail! it didn't bleed or anything though. i dont know if it will grow back or if i have to worry about it. what do i do??

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd keep applying the gel and keep a close eye on the toe the nail was in in the coming weeks. While a cat losing a claw isn't ideal, it's similar to a human losing a nail after damaging the nail bed. It should eventually grow back, but might come in weaker or a bit crooked, so it's worth keeping an eye on as it starts to grow back.

I'd avoid pressing on the toe where he's missing the claw for a little while, personally (unless it's necessary to apply the gel), as he might be sore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd keep applying the gel and keep a close eye on the toe the nail was in in the coming weeks. While a cat losing a claw isn't ideal, it's similar to a human losing a nail after damaging the nail bed. It should eventually grow back, but might come in weaker or a bit crooked, so it's worth keeping an eye on as it starts to grow back.

I'd avoid pressing on the toe where he's missing the claw for a little while, personally (unless it's necessary to apply the gel), as he might be sore.
thank you so much🙏💖