Cat Nail Caps.

Dennis_W

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Provided they're replaced every 4-6 weeks, it appears that the application of cat nail caps is okay. However, I've researched my specific question of whether it's critical/necessary (for furniture reasons) to cap the rear paws, and it doesn't seem to be addressed. (I don't currently own a cat, but I'm now retired and am attempting to learn what all to anticipate when I do adopt one.)

Thanks,
DW

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat nail caps should only be used as a temporary measure as you figure out means to get your cat scratching only appropriate surfaces. They impede a cats ability to climb (so no getting up the cat tree if they want to climb up it), and once the claws start to grow out they pose a risk for the cat getting stuck and tearing a claw out. I personally suggest not using them at all, but that’s ultimately up to you. Note that not all cats tolerate them, and they’ll attempt to chew them off.

As to your question, normally only front paws are done, as cats don’t scratch furniture with their hind claws.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get a scratching post or a cat tree with a scratcher and teach them early. I used redirection with my kittens. When they started to scratch on something else, I put them on the scratcher and rewarded them. It took a while for them to learn that's where scratching should be done, but it was well worth the time.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get scratches on wood, from something frightening the cat or the cat missing a jump, cover the scratch in a thick layer of mayonnaise, let it sit over night. in the morning wipe off the remaining mayo, which will be less than you expect. The scratch should be gone. The color of the wood doesn't matter. If you are afraid of this process, try it on a small underside part of the wood. It also works for scratches from sources other than your cat.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the posters above. My friend used nail caps and they either fall off or the cat figures out ways to get them off. Cats are smart and can be shown to use cat scratchers and not scratch furniture. If you do get a kitten and you are concerned about them scratching your furniture I would just trim its front nails slightly (thats what I did with mine). Now that they are older trimming their front paws isn't necessary because they just file them down on their own with the scratchers.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you want to use them for? That makes a difference.

I've heard of people capping the back claws if a cat has self-injuring scratching issues. Other than that there isn't much point.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as the cat always uses scratchers he/she does not even need frequent trimming. I used catnip and moved her front paws on the seagrass scratching ramp. Unfortunately it did not make her stop scratching the living room carpet but my floor was unharmed.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried them once on one of my kitties that kept scratching my face while I slept. It was a battle to get them on. as soon as I did , she pulled them off and ate them !! :doh2:. I called the vet in a panic.. they said " no worries. they are non toxic. she'll just pass them in her poo" ..she did. I gave up that battle. Luckily, she out grew that habit when she got a tad older . !! My only experience with them. I took to cutting her nails myself after that. she didn't care for it, but got used to it eventually. I didn't find those nail tips worth the effort , personally !

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly when we tried them with CiCi, she found ways to get them off within the day. They never worked.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do them, it's worth the minor fee $10 - 25 to have the vet's kennel people put them on. It's really a two person job, and you don't want to get the glue on the cat's fur or let the cat eat the glue.

All companions animal, human, or plant, or even things that are just things come with stuff you need to do for them. Animals as humans have feelings and emotional as well as physical needs. If you don't feel you can meet those needs or would be unhappy trying to do so, the kindest thing is to not get a living companion.

If you don't want a cat, it's simpler, and more honest to just tell the person requesting one, no, we can't have a cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not so much that they don't work---I've used them with a lot of success with a few cats. My cousin's naughty kitten was able to live with my elderly grandma because of his nail caps.

However, they don't do much for the back claws, simply because cats just generally don't do a lot of damage with their back claws. And I think it would be more annoying for the cat, since the back claws don't retract as far as the front ones do. Just keeping the back claws trimmed ought to be enough for most situations. Well, same for the front claws too, really, although nail caps can help during the training process.

And yeah, it's better as a 2-person job. And if you do it at home, you should try to distract the cat for the first 10-15 minutes to give the glue time to set. Usually playing with a fishing pole toy will work.