Cat Mulitation

How do I stop my cat from self mulitation?

• Depressed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mental health

• In need of more attention

• Total voters

JennParh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat scratches and chews on herself until her skin underneath the coat is red and bleeding. She will even pull her own hair out. Why? How do I get her to stop?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think your first step should be a trip to the vet to have your cat assessed. Have you considered the possibility that your cat may have severe allergies? Often cats with allergies will scratch themselves raw.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been to the vet yet? What did they mention could be the cause of this? Because without knowing the cause (allergies, stress...) it will be difficult to make it stop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JennParh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not take her to the vet yet. I'm not in a position to just Willy Nilly her to the vet but here recently I have more than thought about even just calling one and asking questions. Tomorrow morning (monday) when everyone one opens up I am going to start researching which one is going to be the best for both parties involved(mom and cat).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to do some research into it, might I suggest trying to find a cat only vet? They seem to be well versed and take more care into the, shall we say, "special quirks" that so many kitties have. And especially if this is stress/behavioral, they will likely have much more information on the best ways to improve her well being. And same goes for if she has a particular allergy. So many don't have a lot of training in cat nutrition, but I would assume a cat only vet would have the additional knowledge.
That's not to say that a vet who deals with all animals will not be a good choice, my vet is a multi-species vet hospital. But they take it upon themselves to keep up with additional training and such.
And feel free to keep us updated on her results, we do have a lot of collective experience to help you along the way. But for me, I can't really offer you much right now, if I don't know what you're dealing with.
Best of luck to you and your kitty!!!

JennParh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you're going to do some research into it, might I suggest trying to find a cat only vet? They seem to be well versed and take more care into the, shall we say, "special quirks" that so many kitties have. And especially if this is stress/behavioral, they will likely have much more information on the best ways to improve her well being. And same goes for if she has a particular allergy. So many don't have a lot of training in cat nutrition, but I would assume a cat only vet would have the additional knowledge.
That's not to say that a vet who deals with all animals will not be a good choice, my vet is a multi-species vet hospital. But they take it upon themselves to keep up with additional training and such.
And feel free to keep us updated on her results, we do have a lot of collective experience to help you along the way. But for me, I can't really offer you much right now, if I don't know what you're dealing with.
Best of luck to you and your kitty!!!

Thank you! I hadn't thought of that. But when I start calling tomorrow morning I will make sure to ask/pay attention. Thank you!

JennParh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think your first step should be a trip to the vet to have your cat assessed. Have you considered the possibility that your cat may have severe allergies? Often cats with allergies will scratch themseles raw.

Thank you!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the mean time. Start racking your brain a bit and do a bit of sleuthing.

If a food allergy is the culprit..
Have you changed her food? Did the company change their formula? Did you start giving her a new brand of treat?

If an environmental allergy is the culprit...
New laundry soap? New cleaning products? Stuff to make your house smell pretty? (most are toxic, including most essential oils) New carpet or furniture? Mold? Does she go outside? (then that's a loooong list of possibilities) Fleas?

If it's stress...
A neighborhood cat threatening her territory/spraying outside? New noises that she feels are scary? Did you move recently? New pet in the house? New person moved in? Or out? Seriously.....it could be ANYTHING, cats can be VERY finicky and most HATE change.

If it's stress due to illness or an illness...
Ringworm, or other type of infection? And again, there are many illnesses or discomforts that can stress a kitty.

If you can try to find some sort of "light bulb moment", it may help narrow down any tests that the vet may want to do, and point you in the right direction.