cat mouth smell

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm trying to smell 5 adult cats mouth, and all of them are smell. Is that normal ?
because they eating rice,meat, fish, anything but dont have teeth cleaning from kitten to adult age (5-6y)

the one who died recently have very bad breath that because she's exposed to FPV, but other is normal if compared to human mouth i think.

all of 5 adult cats eating, playing, etc.. very well

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A little smell after eating is normal.
A strong smell can indicate plaque build up, gingivitis or infection.
A constant smell indicates the beginning of something or the need for teeth cleaning.

Do you use any products at home to clean their teeth? If a cat is older and hasn't had their teeth cleaned I've had good luck with this product: 16651478105708094942488504105001.jpg

However, a vet will need to take a dental x-ray in order to be sure that they don't have a cracked tooth or similar. You cannot catch all dental issues with an awake exam.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats' mouth smell like food, mostly. And if the food is good quality, the smell shouldn't be that bad.
If the smell isn't like food, then it might be a case of bad hygiene, teeth or gums problems, digestive issues, or diseases.
Yes to this! One of our cats had terrible breath (and flatulence, too!) that was caused by foods that had potato in them. She was fine as soon as we took the potato out of her diet.

Since cats are serious carnivores and often don't do very well with carbohydrates, I'd take a serious look at the rice in your cats' diet, H hongducwb .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats' mouth smell like food, mostly. And if the food is good quality, the smell shouldn't be that bad.
If the smell isn't like food, then it might be a case of bad hygiene, teeth or gums problems, digestive issues, or diseases.
yeah it's smell like dry food i gave them but maybe a little more smell because it's about 5-6 years not cleaning.

the one who died by FPV, that vomitting smell is beyond human/animal stool/vomitting, even without vomitting, after back from shelter, her body/mouth smell is always terrible when compared to before bring her to shelter. if 6 of my cats now have that similar smell i will know their health have problem :)

Yes to this! One of our cats had terrible breath (and flatulence, too!) that was caused by foods that had potato in them. She was fine as soon as we took the potato out of her diet.

Since cats are serious carnivores and often don't do very well with carbohydrates, I'd take a serious look at the rice in your cats' diet, H hongducwb .
After i noticed digestive problem, loose stool, blood,..i just stop give them rice mixing with salted shredded pork (pig meat with fish soy) and wait the next time, but for less fish soy or without it.

Main foods now is dry food mixing w water, pig liver, spleen,etc.. And their mouth smell like dry food i think, but with 5-6 years not cleaning teeth, their smell is a little bit than that.

They usually have 80% of human foods: soup(chicken, bone broth, etc..), many boiling vegetable, fresh milk, yogurt, snack, etc... but not daily

Several months ago i usually gave them chocola human cow milk, and yes no problem at all but i dont know if it's main source to caused pyometra to my Deceased inbred cat or not
1665238064392.png

A little smell after eating is normal.
A strong smell can indicate plaque build up, gingivitis or infection.
A constant smell indicates the beginning of something or the need for teeth cleaning.

Do you use any products at home to clean their teeth? If a cat is older and hasn't had their teeth cleaned I've had good luck with this product: View attachment 433233

However, a vet will need to take a dental x-ray in order to be sure that they don't have a cracked tooth or similar. You cannot catch all dental issues with an awake exam.
no i dont have any cleaning teeth product, i dont know if my country have that fresh breath or not.
some of my cat have tartar, but most of their mouth smell like their foods or even more because it's long time not cleaning teeth, so it's smell building up

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cow's milk is not good for cats but they often can digest goats' milk. Fish can sometimes cause digestive issues, and for male cats, urinary issues but if you are in an area where cats often eat fish, the cats may have adapted to that source of protein. Human food doesn't fulfill a cat's nutritional needs, especially taurine so try to find a balanced cat food or do research in our "raw/homemade food" threads for guidance. Please keep us updated!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After i noticed digestive problem, loose stool, blood,..i just stop give them rice mixing with salted shredded pork (pig meat with fish soy) and wait the next time, but for less fish soy or without it.
Good, I'm glad to hear you stopped feeding rice with salted pork! Plain pork is great for cats -- ours love it and our vet highly recommends pork -- but the fish sauce would add too much salt. Cats really shouldn't get too much salt: even some plain cuts of meat contain too much! Mineral balances for cats can be very delicate.

I hope your cat is feeling (smelling!) better soon!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm trying to smell 5 adult cats mouth, and all of them are smell. Is that normal ?
because they eating rice,meat, fish, anything but dont have teeth cleaning from kitten to adult age (5-6y)

the one who died recently have very bad breath that because she's exposed to FPV, but other is normal if compared to human mouth i think.

all of 5 adult cats eating, playing, etc.. very well
Can you check thier gums in the back? Are they red? also try tooth paste for cats that you put on thier gums by hand. Also regularly brush teeth if possible with 5 cats. The smell may be the food and/or the gums. Are they eating ok?

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good, I'm glad to hear you stopped feeding rice with salted pork! Plain pork is great for cats -- ours love it and our vet highly recommends pork -- but the fish sauce would add too much salt. Cats really shouldn't get too much salt: even some plain cuts of meat contain too much! Mineral balances for cats can be very delicate.

I hope your cat is feeling (smelling!) better soon!
well i usually made it by myself, but my part-time house maid now do it almost a year for me, next time i will do it instead
1665340072831.png
1665340095370.png

with less fish soy, it will much more faster to make it dried, normally it took about 30mins to 1hour, but without or less fish soy is just about 15-20mins
Can you check thier gums in the back? Are they red? also try tooth paste for cats that you put on thier gums by hand. Also regularly brush teeth if possible with 5 cats. The smell may be the food and/or the gums. Are they eating ok?
well, not all of my cats have pink gum, some have black or dark gum because their color, but they are not red

the one who got FPV and died, her gum have bloody (saw it after she passed, with mouth and eyes open) so i think that's reason she denied to open mouth, it could be painful to eat or drink

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with less fish soy, it will much more faster to make it dried, normally it took about 30mins to 1hour, but without or less fish soy is just about 15-20mins
The time savings is a nice benefit to not using the fish soy! :)

What else are you feeding your cats? Pork (or pork with rice) isn't a complete food for cats but maybe you're also feeding them some canned and/o

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah i will try not use fish soy next time, it's meat btw so cat may still eat it without fish soy when i mixing it with dry foods too

canned, nutrigel plus, instant sausage, Pork bologna, fish, pig liver, cucumber, carrot, bean, yogurt, dry food, ice cream, milk, wheatgrass,corn/boiling vegetable water, sweet/spicy snack, ice cream, etc.. i mean i just give them almost all human foods.

But i think chocolate milk look like messed up (no problem at all but look like it affected inbred intact female cat)

my 4.5yo deceased cat got pyometra (that leads to FPV by exposed at shelter after surgery completed) and it happen after when i bought 40pack chocolate milk to drink, and give them some left.

instant sausage
1665430018751.png

wheatgrass took about 10days to be like this
1665430257209.png

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
H hongducwb , it sounds like your cats eat a lot of different foods that humans eat. Do they eat any cat food, though? All those human foods have a lot of ingredients -- particularly sugar and cow's milk -- that aren't good for cats. The sausage and bologna probably have more salt than the cats need. Meat like plain pork (no fish soy or other sauces) is good but plain pork is not a "complete" food for cats. Even more important, cats have very specific needs for vitamins and minerals, too. Their needs are very different from what humans need so it's important to either feed them food that you can buy that's made specially for cats or food that you prepare for them using special recipes.

I'm not sure what country you live in but if you were to seek out some food that's made specifically for cats, that would likely help improve your cats' general health, including the bad smell in their mouths.

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
not daily treat of course, but i want them to taste almost everything before too late.

and yeah there is pate recipe which have fish/pumpkin/pig liver/chicken, i heard many of people in my facebook group talking about it and their cats getting fat pretty fast. But it took time yeah, right now i just buying canned pate for them but it can only last 1-2day in Refrigerator), homemade pate still are best for them

my 5-6y/o adult persian cat(F2 maybe, not flat face) weight right now is about 3kg+,all female(two mother,2 intact) , the neutered male is about 6.5kg+.

cat mouth smell i think tartar build up is the one, then food, the final is digesting system (just like human)

btw, isnt sugar water is good for cat when they are weak/sick ?