Cat more vocal than usual - is it normal?

skygem

Guardian of a little old grandpa named Rayleigh
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, so I had to take my Rayleigh to the vet yesterday because of a suspected ear infection (not related to the hairball situation I posted about a couple days ago)

His vet also clipped his nails while we were there and gave him antibiotic injection since one of his paws seemed a bit sensitive.

He's been more vocal since we came home though, and woke me up begging for food two hours earlier than usual today.

So basically I want to know if that's normal? Are the ear drops for the infection bothering him?

Should I just ignore him and not encourage the bad behavior, or comfort him more because he's not feeling well?

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really hard to answer that!

It could be that his routine was a bit messed up and/or he's really a bit off from the antibiotic. But of course, it could be that something is wrong... (but you know your cat best! I'd suggest staying on top of monitoring his behavior. Or you could call the vet and ask the question.)

I, personally, would feed him early and gradually push it to a bit later. I know it could create a bad habit, but you can fix that after!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is Rayleigh? Is he used to vet visits? If he is older and not inclined to like vet visits, or is not used to going very often, he is probably just unsettled especially with all that went on during the appointment. Even some younger cats tend to be unsettled for a day or two. Also, he is likely not feeling his best, but the fact that he is eating is a good sign. And, I am sure there are very few cats that love to get ear drops!

Although not nearly as common with injectable antibiotics, there still could be some residual effect on his digestive system. Some cats whose stomach are bothering them just a bit seem to relate that to being hungry, so I would go ahead and feed him at least a little bit before his 'regular' breakfast if need be. With any luck at all, once he is feeling better and done with the ear drops, he will go back to his normal routine.

I personally would offer him extra attention and love as opposed to ignoring him. It might be all he needs to help him settle down.