Cat moans and groans when I pet him

Kippenberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This isn't something that is a problem, but after more than 60 years living with cats, I have finally encountered one that is so different from any I have ever met. He is a Humane Society adoptee that I've had for about a year and a half. He was around 5 when I got him and we took a while to become bonded. He does his own thing most of the time, but several times a day, he will jump up on my desk for a bit of attention. I close my laptop and give him my full attention. He particularly enjoys having his ears rubbed while we have our foreheads together. He purrs at this, but he also moans or groans at the same time. I usually talk to him in a low voice and I tend to kind of croon to him. I have never heard of a cat doing this and wondered if anyone else has a cat who does this. I am curious if this is a natural reaction that I've just missed because of being otherwise engaged or if he has learned a new behavior. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say “moans” is it like a growl, a trill that is low or a true moan? He may just be nervous or a bit agitated? A real moan kind of makes me wonder if he is having a tummy disturbance or something. Maybe he is just reacting nervously to the undivided attention. I have a fairly new rescue here that gets overly stimulated with lots of petting and he is also a bit nervous. He loves the attention but is still a bit wary. He does an unusual purr, purr, growl, snort. After a lot of petting he gets a little excited and will take a swat if I pull back. He does get a little congested so it is partly that too. He was an abandoned kitty and is afraid of many things but he has a vet check coming up too just to be sure nothing is going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kippenberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you say “moans” is it like a growl, a trill that is low or a true moan? He may just be nervous or a bit agitated? A real moan kind of makes me wonder if he is having a tummy disturbance or something. Maybe he is just reacting nervously to the undivided attention. I have a fairly new rescue here that gets overly stimulated with lots of petting and he is also a bit nervous. He loves the attention but is still a bit wary. He does an unusual purr, purr, growl, snort. After a lot of petting he gets a little excited and will take a swat if I pull back. He does get a little congested so it is partly that too. He was an abandoned kitty and is afraid of many things but he has a vet check coming up too just to be sure nothing is going on.
It's a moan. He is a very laid-back cat and isn't afraid of anything. When he first arrived, he was very quick to anger, but he's calmed down considerably. The moan only happens when he and I are head to head; he is purring and his eyes are closed in pleasure. It's is not a sustained sound, just a very short moan, but sometimes he does it a couple times; then he has enough attention and turns away to either lie down for a longer visit or to jump down and return to whatever he was doing before the visit.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. I guess he is just vocalizing. I hear all sorts of sounds from the various cats here. If it is something that concerns you then maybe try to notice if you are petting a particular spot or he is standing/sitting a particular way. If it continues but seems more to be an indicator of being nervous or discomfort then I would wonder if something hurts. Maybe something as simple as tummy gas? Some breeds of cats are very vocal so it could just be a “cat comment”.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is just voicing his pleasure in the only way he can. It may even be a special, 'purr' he learned to vocalize. Half purr, half meow or 'talk'. My Yammy makes the strangest noises I have heard, but usually when he is sleeping. While stroking him see if he does it if any particular area is touched to rule out pain, and if not, then you will know he is trying to communicate with you. My cats have Siamese in their background and make the strangest noises, none of them sound 'normal'!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kippenberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am pretty sure that it's pure pleasure, but it's just so unexpected. My cats have usually been quite vocal, mostly because I talk with them and they respond. This is the first one to ever make this sound and I was curious about how many others might do the same thing. He is very quick to respond to touches that bother him, so I very much doubt that this has to do with discomfort or pain.

This is something that has developed over time as our "communing" sessions have evolved. At first he did not like being touched and was very quick to anger. Then he would let me pet him for longer and longer periods of time. Then he wanted to butt heads but not much else. Now it's ear rubs with foreheads together for a couple minutes. When he has enough closeness, he backs away and decided whether he will stay a while or leave. And those little moans only occur when our heads are together. Only purrs when he's petted or brushed, but not those little moans.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's just his special communication with you. I've never heard a cat groan...my dogs do sometimes and it's usually when they are happy and being petted. :heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very special. I love it that you two have been developing such a close relationship! Beautiful bond. I talk with the kitties here. They are a mix of many breeds and the ones with Maine Coon in them go around and sing to themselves. A calico female carries a stuffed toy to new arrivals each time she hears them and she does a mom cat call to them with the toy in her mouth. She has helped me with other kitties many times and has many calls for different reasons. Every cat is different but I can imagine you two as having the closest kind of bond.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If her was to tense up it could be something medical, but it sounds like he’s just got a nice little ritual that makes him happy.