Cat Missing-Suggestions?

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my 4 year old male cat, Cezare, went missing this past Monday (5 days ago). He is neutered and microchipped. He is an indoor/outdoor cat that never strays far from home (for more than 2 hours) and always comes when called.

We had severe rain Monday night and flash flooding in my area, so obviously I'm worried about him getting swept away somehow. I know in the rain like that a cat can easily get disoriented and turned around and lose the scent of home. I just don't know what else to do to find him, I'm going out of my mind.

I've posted to Facebook, and through several missing pet organizations through there and online, I've notified the shelter and all the vets in town, as well as the local pet stores. I notified his microchip company and pet insurance co. I've posted flyers all over town and knocked on neighbors doors to ask them to check sheds/garages. 

I go for walks in the morning, afternoon, and night, calling out for him. I've also left a couple of my worn clothes outside for him to scent, and also walk his brother around outside too, hoping he'll pick up his scent.

Am I missing something that could be helpful? What have you tried that has worked? Is it just a matter of waiting now?

Also, what can I do to help his brother cope? He seems to be sleeping a bit more and is pretty well glued to my side so much more than normal.

Thank you for any and all thoughts and recommendations. I am missing him so very much and am so worried.

conje

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Darlenam8,

I'm surprised no one has commented on your post. I'm sorry to hear you have lost one of your babies. It appears you are doing everything you can, especially with micro-chipping. If you are still wanting to do something else, maybe it will make you feel better to put up a couple of posters in other neighborhoods, if there are any. Just extend the area you are looking. There's always the possibility he could be visiting someone who doesn't know he's been micro-chipped. Many people don't know to have them checked. I believe he'll be home soon. When he does, please consider making your babies inside-only cats.

CJ

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear your baby is missing.  I agree with ConJe's advice about expanding your area with the flyers.  That advice was helpful to one of my friend's when one of her cat's got lost and was found by someone outside the original search area.  The person who found my friend's cat did not know about microchips and only realized that she had someone's missing cat when she saw the flyer in her neighborhood.  The lady called and my friend got her cat back.  My friend explained to this lady what a microchip is and how they work.  This lady had taken in other cats that she thought were strays.  After she realized she had my friend;s cat she told my friend she would take all the cats she had taken in to her vet to be checked for a chip.  She did not want to make the same mistake again and prevent someone from finding their lost baby sooner.  My friend and this lady became friends.  She is elderly and does not drive so my friend offered to help with transportation to get the other cats checked for chips.  A family member was visiting when my friend went to pick up her cat and stated that she would take on the responsibility for getting the cats checked for chips.  I later heard from my friend that a few more of this lady's rescued cats were re-united with their owners.  Both the lady and her family member were thankful to my friend for explaining microchips to them.

Another idea would be to call the shelters, animal control and vet's offices in your area.  Some vet's offices will let you post fliers in their waiting rooms.  Also check with your local grocery stores since they sometimes have a space you can post lost pet fliers.  You are doing a great job of trying to find your baby.

As far as helping his brother cope just give him extra attention when he wants it. Perhaps you could also try doing extra play time if he will allow it to help provide a distraction.  I am not surprised that his brother is glued to your side more than normal.  This is normal behavior in this situation.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@ConJe

@catlover73

Thanks for responding, seemed like no one had any advice :(

I woke up this morning deciding to expand the reach of the flyers to pretty much the extext of the rural downtown I live in, just in case he got pushed out by the floods or rains.

I've heard about people taking in cats and never thinking to check if they're chipped. I guess some older people don't understand what that even is.

I appreciate all your thoughts and comments and wishes that I get him back soon.

I've got a lead I'm following up on now, wish me luck!

Thank you!