Cat Missing Since 3/20

AmberPuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone. I'm new to this site and hoping to gain some insight.

I am looking for my beautiful orange and white tabby cat who has been missing since March 20th. He's very big and long, neutered, 4years old, a wicked good hunter, and microchipped. I know probably everyone says this about their cat but he is the smartest animal I have ever known.

I found him when he was a kitten. He was a feral that was hit by a car. He had a severe concussion so couldn't really run but still fought like hell when I caught him. He learned to trust me fairly quickly when he figured out I wasn't going to eat him.

I tried to convert him into being a house cat but after a year of working with his vet, we realized that it was just in his nature to explore the outdoors. He has always been very prompt with his return times and has never been away for this long. We did move to a new area back in October of last year so this is his first spring in the new area.

I have done absolutely everything I can. Fliers, Nextdoor, Facebook Groups, PawBoost, shaking treats, leaving out my stinky clothes, several different pet finding websites, and have searched the neighborhood and beyond for hours and hours.

I'm so worried that I can't eat or sleep, my work is effected and I keep having waves of neaustia from the stress. My other cat misses him so badly that she has just started walking around and crying out, they are extremely close.

I don't know what else to do and the waiting is destroying me. Any advice or positive stories would be so welcomed and appreciated.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I didn't see where you mentioned giving flyers to local vets, pet stores/groomers, animal pounds, and rescue groups. Also, have you gone door to door and asked your neighbors to check their back yards - sometimes a cat will sneak into a back yard shed or other building and get locked in. This step is one of the first things you should do if you have not. You can also ask your neighbors if it is OK to ask their children to keep an eye out for your cat, kids are great at taking on 'projects' like this!

Searching at dawn and dusk are the best times, and make sure you carry a flashlight with you when it is dark outside, you might catch his eyes in the light. Carry treats with you wherever you go. If you have a clue what door/window he escaped from, it would be helpful to spend some time at that location part of the time you are outside doing your searches. If there is any way to crack open a door or windows and leave some of his food (and water) right outside while you wait there, that might help as well. Setting food outside at night and setting up cameras might at least let you know if he is coming out and near your house when it is quiet and dark out. If you do see him, then you can make plans to try to trap him.

If these two cats got along really well, you might even take your other cat with you when you sit outside your house. Of course, you need to find a way to secure her so she can't run from you. Perhaps, her meow (or crying) will get his attention!

You said you moved, so make sure your contact information is accurate for his microchip. And, if you didn't move too far away, visit your old neighborhood and ask around - and place flyers in that area too as well as notifying all of the above-mentioned institutions in that immediate area. Since this is his first venture outside since you moved, he could be trying to find his way back to your old home. But it is more likely that he is hanging around the immediate area.

I think the fact that he is microchipped (with the right contact information) and no one has found him yet means there is a good chance he is hiding out very close by.

Don't lose hope, there are a lot of stories I have seen just on this site alone where cats went missing for weeks - even months - and showed up back at home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmberPuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response! I have done all of that with various levels of success. Some neighbors let me check their backyards, most don't. Your are right about the kids though! They have been very diligently looking for him, the kids in this area are very kind.

We moved to a different state so I don't think he's going to the old place. He was spotted in camera about two weeks before he went missing, and had traveled about half a mile from our house, but made it back. I never knew he traveled so far so I'm wondering if we went that direction too far and is lost. I am going to hang a bunch of fliers in that area today after work.

It's very possible, but I don't think he's hiding near by. Even when he was terribly wounded one time he still came when I called him. My guess is that if he's not coming, it's because he can't hear me maybe.

Do you think it's possible that he's just exploring? I won't stop looking for him but I'm hopeful he will come back on his own soon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you think it's possible that he's just exploring?
It is possible. It is also possible somebody has taken him in and could have even done what I did with a cat I found - I had a friend with a chip reader, but for whatever reason she didn't find the chip on this cat and so we thought she didn't have one. Turns out that I did find the owners and they confirmed she was chipped - how my friend missed it, we're not sure. Because we didn't find the chip, I kept her in my house while I continued to search for her owners.

A camera or two in your yard might still be helpful. So, please don't discount this as an option. And be sure your contact information is accurate. I have seen so many posts on Lost and Found sites where the chip's information wasn't correct.

And please keep 'bugging' everyone, so they cannot possibly 'forget' you are looking for your cat.

AmberPuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is possible. It is also possible somebody has taken him in and could have even done what I did with a cat I found - I had a friend with a chip reader, but for whatever reason she didn't find the chip on this cat and so we thought she didn't have one. Turns out that I did find the owners and they confirmed she was chipped - how my friend missed it, we're not sure. Because we didn't find the chip, I kept her in my house while I continued to search for her owners.

A camera or two in your yard might still be helpful. So, please don't discount this as an option. And be sure your contact information is accurate. I have seen so many posts on Lost and Found sites where the chip's information wasn't correct.

And please keep 'bugging' everyone, so they cannot possibly 'forget' you are looking for your cat.
Thank you so much! I have been posting daily about him and hanging fliers constantly. I don't think there is a soul around who hasn't seen his face 😂

AmberPuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And do call a trusted neighbor in your old neighborhood. The record of a cat traveling to get back to its old home is 1,485 miles. They have very strong homing instincts. Touch that base, just in case!
Yess! I did this! I thought I was being ridiculous but it made me feel better having that safety net. I called my old next door neighbor. She and I are very close and she adores cats. 🐱❤

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing to do is to search for him while playing this ideo of a mom cat calling her kittens and another cta just wailing I think maybe, which was posted here and mentioned in another post here. My Quinn does this when he carries his mousies around to me and I noticed the kitty in this video meowling seems to be a siamese kitty as well.

I need a sound recording of mom cat "trumpeting" call for kittens

I rescued someone’s cat who was outside for a month in freezing weather who was trying to get back to his old house after a recent move and who settled in with my colony to eat and sleep in the shelters. We were in between the old house and the new one, all fairly close.

I hope he comes home soon ❤

Gabe C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone. I'm new to this site and hoping to gain some insight.

I am looking for my beautiful orange and white tabby cat who has been missing since March 20th. He's very big and long, neutered, 4years old, a wicked good hunter, and microchipped. I know probably everyone says this about their cat but he is the smartest animal I have ever known.

I found him when he was a kitten. He was a feral that was hit by a car. He had a severe concussion so couldn't really run but still fought like hell when I caught him. He learned to trust me fairly quickly when he figured out I wasn't going to eat him.

I tried to convert him into being a house cat but after a year of working with his vet, we realized that it was just in his nature to explore the outdoors. He has always been very prompt with his return times and has never been away for this long. We did move to a new area back in October of last year so this is his first spring in the new area.

I have done absolutely everything I can. Fliers, Nextdoor, Facebook Groups, PawBoost, shaking treats, leaving out my stinky clothes, several different pet finding websites, and have searched the neighborhood and beyond for hours and hours.

I'm so worried that I can't eat or sleep, my work is effected and I keep having waves of neaustia from the stress. My other cat misses him so badly that she has just started walking around and crying out, they are extremely close.

I don't know what else to do and the waiting is destroying me. Any advice or positive stories would be so welcomed and appreciated.
Dear owner! My cat has the same dilema! He is prone to the outside. It all comes with the cat! What he will do. When moving to new area it throws them off and they tend to explore! MY most delicate guess is that he is an new home or will return after "His patrol" as they call it or he passed away! I have seen many fine cats as road killed! BUT! today is April 7. Dont loose hope . Give him time . He might be spooked and on the run; lost his way or maybe not. Keep looking for him. Call out to him as you would at home. And last it all depends where you live! A lot of things can happen and in a city is hard to tell! Just keep looking . Its still recent so pray and pray on. Give him Two weeks or three. Let me know how it went. Happy trails and God blessings. I'll pray on your behalf. Let me know any updates! found i hope. Godspeed! with all my heart and good intents! The luck of the green clover! Von Chance!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree w/ the cameras and traps part…whenever a stray has shown up here looking pitiful but wanting help it has always been at dusk or at night.

Gabe C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear owner! My cat has the same dilema! He is prone to the outside. It all comes with the cat! What he will do. When moving to new area it throws them off and they tend to explore! MY most delicate guess is that he is an new home or will return after "His patrol" as they call it or he passed away! I have seen many fine cats as road killed! BUT! today is April 7. Dont loose hope . Give him time . He might be spooked and on the run; lost his way or maybe not. Keep looking for him. Call out to him as you would at home. And last it all depends where you live! A lot of things can happen and in a city is hard to tell! Just keep looking . Its still recent so pray and pray on. Give him Two weeks or three. Let me know how it went. Happy trails and God blessings. I'll pray on your behalf. Let me know any updates! found i hope. Godspeed! with all my heart and good intents! The luck of the green clover! Von Chance!

AmberPuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response and prayers. It's been three weeks now and no sign of him anywhere. I'm still checking shelters, animal control, and found posts on Facebook, nextdoor, and Craigslist. I am totally broken, I feel like I have completely failed him. I don't know how I'll forgive myself for this. I won't give up, I owe him that much at least.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response and prayers. It's been three weeks now and no sign of him anywhere. I'm still checking shelters, animal control, and found posts on Facebook, nextdoor, and Craigslist. I am totally broken, I feel like I have completely failed him. I don't know how I'll forgive myself for this. I won't give up, I owe him that much at least.
Don’t give up. I know how hard this is. Have you set up cams outside to see if he is around? And traps? I have forgotten if you already did that. 🙏🏻 He turns up asap. 💕🐾 Another possibility is a professional pet tracker, look for one in your area, they search for lost pets. Someone could also have taken him in not realizing he has a home, he could be trapped somewhere. Is he chipped?

Last edited:

Gabe C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep the faith . He might just be in somebody's home! Its happened to me! I have a lot of guilt too! IF! its to be it will be! Give it another three weeks. If by then it dont happen. then you must move on with your grief! You are only harming yourself. Things happen and it does not has to be your fault, Just destiny! The Universe! Godspeed! Just let me know IF! anything good for ya!. I wish you the best and your cat! Godspeed! Luck of the Irish on to you and your cat!

Gabe C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep the faith . He might just be in somebody's home! Its happened to me! I have a lot of guilt too! IF! its to be it will be! Give it another three weeks. If by then it dont happen. then you must move on with your grief! You are only harming yourself. Things happen and it does not has to be your fault, Just destiny! The Universe! Godspeed! Just let me know IF! anything good for ya!. I wish you the best and your cat! Godspeed! Luck of the Irish on to you and your cat!
By the way !!!!!!!stay looking around in your area! He just might be in plain sight. Its all gut feeling! Good luck on to you!

Gabe C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another pointer! If you moved go back & check your previous address . He might have returned to previous address because they want to go back! That I can assure you! If you find him dont let him out for he will do it again. let me know if so! Good luck

Gabe C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
check your old address! he might of gone there!