Cat Missing Old Owner?

Cat345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cats have been with me for a few months. Previously to this I was homeless so they lived with my family member. Since moving to my house, they haven't seen that family member. They saw him today and since he's left, Buddy is walking around the house meowing. He used to do this when he first moved in but had settled down. I wonder if it is related to seeing his old 'owner' I guess. He's eating fine, and if I call on him, he'll come up for a cuddle and a pet bit will walk off meowing again. Does this sound like it could be due to the visit? He was all over my dad, licking him face, rubbing against him and sitting in his lap, all things he also does with me.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be. Cat are definitely not dogs, and are far more likely to forget someone entirely ridiculously quickly than remember them at some distant point, but every cat is different, and you do read those stories sometimes.

Watch for a health reason, but your cat may just have a better memory and capacity to form/hold emotional attachments than most. It could also be random. Cats are hard to figure out sometimes :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have far better memories than people give them credit for. I work at a shelter, and a few times we've had cats returned after one to three years (generally due to a baby that has allergies). Often cats come back for boarding only. Those cats treat the staff members they used to know far differently than new staff members or volunteers. It's particularly noticeable with former bottle babies.

We go away for a week once a year and have the same pet sitter come to take care of Mowgli. Although he doesn't see her between times, Mowgli greets her like a long-lost friend when she comes to pick up the keys. This is a cat that's very wary of strangers.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say he misses your dad and needs more visits from ‘Grandpa’!

I left my senior cat with my mom because he was beyond miserable in my new apartment. So my mom and I switched cats. He got to go back home and I got the hyper kitten she did not want! He is perfectly happy and loved on. Yet every time I visit he pushes my kitty off my lap and hogs my lap the entire visit. Granted I try to bring my cat Jackie over once a week so he can play with his brother he is completely bonded to..... so me senior cat is only without seeing me for two weeks max.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be nice if your dad could visit Buddy a bit more often. I think after Buddy realizes that he is going to come back repeatedly, he might not react so much.

You could always experiment with keeping a piece of worn clothing, or a towel, with your dad's scent on it, and give it to Buddy while your dad isn't there. Your dad, if willing, could replace it with another towel/clothing item each time he visits, or use a towel of yours to rub on himself to leave with Buddy each time.