Cat Missing for Approximately 2 weeks and no sign of them

FieryWater1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat has went missing for approximately 2 weeks and I fear that our cat may never come back or worse is dead as normally whenever our cat goes out it's only for about 4-5 hours at most. However the cat has not returned and I fear the worst has happened to it as the last our cat has went missing for an abnormal amount of time was about 16-18 hours.

Our Cat is a medium sized male cat and is only a few years old and is a black and white sort of cat. His name is Nathaniel and and he doesn't have a collar as every time we try to put one on him he just takes it off (somehow) within a week and we tried to do this multiple times. He also wasn't stuck in some neighbours shed and knows his way back home as we have asked to look in their home for a little bit. We also asked if something like a car accident has happened and there has been nothing like that sort of situation that involves cats. He also de-sexed and has a microchip on him and he lives in Australia in the State Victoria and suburb Sunshine and we asked multiple lost pet homes if they have seen him with the above information.

We also our neighbours and the lost pets home to keep us posted if there is any updates worth keeping us posted on.

We have even asked on social media such as Facebook and looked through the lost pets home page where they show pictures of lost cats with them to try and find him with again no luck.

Honestly I don't know what to do as I don't want to give up on Nathaniel however as more time goes I'm losing more and more hope. If you can give any advice on what to do as I what to find him and know if he is still alive or dead as it is making me very worried not knowing what happened to him.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to be pessimistic here, because I’m sure you’re worried and heartbroken over Nathaniel being gone so long. After two weeks, he may genuinely be lost, or worse, I’m afraid. I would keep putting out social media posts with photos, for sure. You could also borrow a few humane traps around your property, set them up with some highly palatable cat food inside, and see if he turns up that way. Cats can take long “vacations” from home, and just when you’re about to give up searching, they’re sitting on your doorstep. Don’t give up hope, and best of luck in finding sweet Nathaniel!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think you should give up yet. Cats are amazingly adaptable and resilient. One of my girls was gone for 6 weeks and was eventually spotted over a 30 minute walk from home, so keep putting up those posters and asking your neighbours to look out for him.

If a cat who has regular outdoor access disappears it can be because they've been displaced from their territory. Something happens to make them run, a cat fight or another animal chasing them. They flee and hide, but then can't get back home because they either don't know the way or because going home would mean crossing an area they consider to be dangerous. That could be another cat's territory, a house with a big dog or a busy road.

What is your area like? Are there a lot of other animals around? Is there a busy main road, river or other area a cat would be wary of crossing? Take a look at a map of your area and see if there is anything he could have crossed but might not be able to get back over.

Cats tend to gravitate to areas where other cats are thriving. Do you know of any farms with barn cats nearby? Or any areas where food is left out for outdoor cats? They would be good places to check.

Put your lost cat posters up near local schools. Kids tend to pay attention to animals more than adults do, and they are out at different times of the day so may see Nathanial. Ask people who walk their dogs in your area to keep an eye out for him too.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep up with the FaceBook posts, it is amazing how many people that reaches. He could have gotten in a workman's truck or van and traveled a ways. don't give up hope, I have had cats disappear for over a month and return. Offer a reward, especially to kids, like said above. they go places many adults don't. And be sure to keep calling your local humane society, they get so busy they need to be reminded.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope he comes home soon. Our Elsie was gone two weeks. She was hiding out in the woods across the street from our home. For whatever reason, she was afraid to come home. We set out her favorite food, even installed deer cams to see if we could spot her. Please don't give up. My neighbor's one-eyed cat went missing and she put up posters. Eventually, a woman in another neighborhood saw the posters and called. She had found Paddington and was keeping him inside her house.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are in the USA, try joining Nextdoor.com. That will put you in touch with people in your own neighborhood. We've had lots of lost animals found and returned to their homes in my neighborhood, through them.

When you find him, I highly suggest microchipping him, if he is not already chipped. Be sure you call shelters, rescues and vets on a weekly basis. They are often so overworked that a cat can slip through the cracks. You want to keep your boy right in the front of their minds!