Cat Missing For 2 Months: Looking For Hope

LookingforMeowsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I start this thread becase I really, really need someone, anyone to give me hope. In a way too, I want some realistic hope, not just cheers but people who can actually tell me if what I want is still possible.

I do this here because I feel there is not enough experience or just shared love for cats in the forums created for people of my geographic zone and language; furthermore, they have far less reach, the users are less experienced, etc.

This is my story. I live in Mexico's capital city, a densely populated place, and, in particular, within a ghetto-like zone that is the town of Iztapalapa. There is good and bad people in here; people who may feed a hungry cat and take care of them just for fun, or, the opposite, hurt a hungry cat just for fun as well. Streets look like the uglier zones of the Detroit city. Still, I know outdoor cats that have been surviving years in spite of the many dangers of this place, without an owner to take care of them (I even know one who has survived for 10 years without an owner, just living in the rooftops and scavenging for food!).

In this rather miserable place, my poor dear beloved sweet little cat got lost. Her name is Miausita (which can be roughly translated to "Meowsy"), and, to put things blunt, she means the world to me.

This is a quick backstory about her and why I am so desperate. She was a cat I rescued from death in the autumn of 2014. Back then, 3 years ago, she was a small cat living in an abandoned vehicle close to where I live. I used to feed her because she was too cute. Every morning in my way to college I would drop some whiskas below the car for her to eat. Then, one night I found her near death. After taking her to the vet and having X-rays done, we found that she was shot 3 times with a pellet gun, with one projectile having damaged her lumbar vertebrae. On that tragic night I decided to take her home so she could survive. For weeks I took care of her like she was a real baby, feeding her with a baby bottle, wrapping her in blankets, carrying her in my arms, giving her meds and even letting her sleep on my bed. For a long while, she couldn't walk. But, eventually, she did recover, and, ever since then she became my most beloved cat. Months later I neutered her, but even after that she continued to be "in heat" every now and then, perhaps because the surgeon didn't fully remove the ovaries.

In march 2018, my 18 year old dog died of liver cancer, and the same day I went to pick the urn containing his ashes, the very same day when I was agonizing in grief for his loss, Meowsy disappeared.

I am not sure if Meowsy counted as an outdoor-access cat. I NEVER let her outdoors, but she did use to climb onto the roof and, from there, get into the neighbor's surrounding rooftops and roam up there, never too far. Every now and then she would be in heat, go out and mate with the male cats of the zone and return. On that sad night of april, the first day of april, she disappeared. I do not know if she walked through the door when we moved the car into the house or if she escaped through the roof but, ever since April 1 I have not been able to find her.

I did follow the advice in the websites of Kat Albrecht and 3retrievers. I asked every neighbor in the block. I have been looking for her in the night. I have expanded my search area up to 1 mile, an area in which I have placed posters in every corner and in the middle of each street, including local restaurants and groceries. I have had at least 7 sightings, all of which have resulted in false positives, people who thought they had found my cat and then it turned out to be just another siamese. I started offering a 60 USD reward for her (which is not a small amount for this place), but it is not working. I have lost 16 pounds from all this, I cannot sleep at nights because I get full of rage and anger from thinking that someone could have hurt my poor baby. I have 3 cats besides her but... they are just pets to me, whereas Meowsy is like a daughter to me. Meowsy was just too fragile, too innocent, too small, too cute. I try to have hope, I really try, but sometimes I feel like some of my neighbors probably killed her, my poor baby. I'm even crying as I type this, I swear, she was just too sweet.

I want to know if I can still have hope after 2 months (technically it has been 51 days but, it will soon count as 2 months). I have read stories of people who recovered their cats months later, but most of these stories come from rather peaceful places where people have big gardens or towns where there's a lot of safe places for a cat to hide comfortably for long periods of time. Where I live there's none of that. It's a tight urbanized zone, there are few buildings though, but a lot of small and continuous houses (it's a city of 8.8 million inhabitants afterall). Therefore I want to know if people from big cities have also had success in finding their cats in urbanized places where dangers are many. I have went as far as paying facebook a daily "rent" so they can share my missing cat ad to the people of this zone, but so far it has not been helpful to find my beloved baby.

I want hope, I want someone to tell me that even in places like this a cat may be found alive after 2 months. Some especial advice would help as well, other than the one I have already studied from 3retrievers/MPP. Meowsy means absolutely everything in the world to me, I have went as far as going into the more dangerous thug-filled streets of this place just to find her. I didn't even finish weeping for my beloved dog when I realized my beloved cat was also missing. This is, truly, a living hell. Some hope, please.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I can see why you fell in love with her. She's quite the beauty :loveeyes:I. And I'm am so sorry she's gone missing, and so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog at the same time :hugs:.

All I can tell you is that one of mine went missing and she was gone for at least 6 weeks if not longer. Long enough that I finally gave up all hope. I actually quit looking for her, thinking there was just no way she could still be alive, and then one day I heard this pitiful meow and it was her! She was under our neighbors porch, and it still took a long time to coax her out from under there because evidenty she was extremely scared, but eventually we got her out, and she never, ever ventured outside again. And our house backed up to the freeway, so it wasn't really very safe out there. Plus several neighbors had large dogs who didn't like cats, although I don't think any humans actively killed cats, but you never know :angryfire:.

So...there is always hope is what I am saying. And I've read stories about cats reconnecting with their people YEARS later. Those are rare instances, but I guess they happen.

Have you read this thread about things to do to help you find your lost cat? Tips for finding a lost cat

As you know, cats are very stubborn creatures, and when they are scared, they sometimes run away even from those they are usually comfortable with. The best thing is to let her come back to you, if she can. (I think) I think this is why our cat was next door. We didn't have a porch for her to hide under, so it was the next best thing.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:That your little one returns to you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LookingforMeowsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mrsgreenjeans, thanks a lot for believing she is beautiful; in my eyes she's the cat I most adore in the world. Thanks for the kind words and, thanks for providing some proof that there's still a chance to meet them even past the 6 week mark. I'll keep looking for her. Although the wait is endless, everytime I close my eyes I can only wonder just how many bad things might have happened to her, this is driving me insane. I'll try to keep up the hopes.

What I however don't know is just how far I should put my posters. I have put them in a 1 mile radius, in every corner. Do cats get farther than that? Some say cats do rather stay close when lost, but others say that they have found cats miles away from home.

LookingforMeowsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is how my posters look like by the way. I print them in color, put them within a thin transparent plastic bag to safeguard them from rain and glue them on light posts.

It basically says "Missing cat. Female siamese-like cat. She needs surgery to live. I offer 60 usd reward to the one who gives her back." then I put my phone number in. About the same template is the one I use for the paid facebook ads.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your poster looks great! In this thread, it's possible their missing cat was spotted 20 kilometers from home! My Cat Is Missing :'( I would definitely put some posters out further, and don't forget to give some to shelters and Vet offices too. Any place where someone might turn in a found cat.

LookingforMeowsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!vThen I'll glue them further! There are no shelters in this part of the city, I did try checking the only one but it does no longer host any felines, it used to, but nowadays has just become a government-ridden free anti-rabies vaccination and veterinary place. I'll have to expand the poster area more and more progressively. She's everything to me right now ;_;

Attachments

RogueBoi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you find her, she really is a beauty, I hope she hasn't died, or ran off with a mate, all I can hope for is that she doesn't end up being gone forever. I had a cat that I loved once, I still miss her and reading this reminds me of her, I'm teary eyed right now, I hope you love Meows u as much as I did my cat or even more. Hope be with you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is a beauty. My heart goes out to you.

As for hope, when I was growing up, my own cat went missing. I was heartbroken, and could not be consoled. About 6 months later, we heard meowing outside the door, and there he was! Yes, there is hope. I can't give you false assurances, but there is HOPE!

LookingforMeowsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
RogueBoi, Mamanyt1953, I thank you so much your warm words. The last days have been horrible. Since we are having elections in Mexico next month, a political party one night teared down all my missing cat signs along with anything else glued to the posts in the street posts to replace it with their stupid propaganda. I spent weeks gluing those, and they weren't particularly cheap since they were colored ones, I pretty much glued one in every corner of every street in a mile and a half radius... and those idiots took it all down in one night!. I was so angry I also teared as much of their propaganda as I could, but next day it was all the same, its like they hired people to just keep the streets everyday stuffed with their "vote for us" posters.

My hopes are dying, a part of me sincerely thinks my cat never wandered far and instead she got murdered by a neighbor. The sadness is unbearable, I swear you this hurts more than anything else in the world.

RogueBoi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel you, a year after my cat went missing I remembered her l. I was crying for weeks

LookingforMeowsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Days ago I cried for an entire hour. Then sort of hurt my knuckles, I did hit the wall many times in anger just at the mere idea that someone could have hurt my dearest love.

RogueBoi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If in 1 year you don't find her. I would recommend saving a cat from a shelter. This can create an unbreakable bond of the cat and yourself. As long as the cat is hurt and you save it. The cat will love you, I found a pregnant cat that could go into labor any day now last week. She loves me sooo much. Any cat in need of saving will love you.

LookingforMeowsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are already 4 cats under my care that do not exactly belong to me. They live in an abandoned house next street. I feed them every night at the same hour. They wait for me, it's a joyful sensation to see them everynight greeting me as I arrive with a bag of CatChow and a water bottle. But I feel I can not take any of them with me, I'd be betraying my beloved Meowsy.

The same way I found a cat that looks almost like her (but it's not her, this other one lacks the hernia at the side and other injuries from when I rescued Meowsy, also different behavior) 7 streets away. Been considering taking this one home and pretend it's Meowsy, but I know it will only hurt me more. If I can't find her, at the very least I want to know who killed my love, and take revenge against that person.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, not a betrayal. It would be, instead, to honor her memory. NO CAT WILL EVER TAKE MEOWSY'S PLACE! The heart has many homes in it that we can fill with love. And each love is whole and complete unto itself. I have two sons, and I can promise you that I did not love the older one less when the younger one was born. I may have even loved him more, because my heart stretched. But it is too soon now to think of that. Later, remember my words.

LookingforMeowsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953, I'll try to... although, it's just... too early for that.

To be honest this has become, literally, worse than hell itself. By this point of my search I can not avoid thinking that my cat was never lost in the first place and instead got killed by someone. And the thought is killing me.

I swear, Meowsy was a very sensitive, fragile sweet thing. She loved having her small, lovely cotton head caressed, she would purr and meow everytime, the sound was like that of an angel. Her paws were so tiny, the pawpads so soft. The times we played, when she bit me or scratched me, her lovely claws and teeth were so small. Her eyes, so precious, so blue.

Yesterday, I wept, I cried. My mother was around. I was catatonic. I couldn't help but to sob, and while I was curled over the floor with my face filled with tears and shaking, I kept repeating the same words. "What did they do to my baby? Did they hurt her sweet little head? Did they hurt her small paws? Her angel eyes? What did they do to her?! They murdered my baby, those bastards killed my baby and I wasn't there to protect her, I wasn't there!". I cried for around 1 hour straight, or maybe 2? Mom was there, telling me that maybe someone picked Meowsy and is protecting her somewhere but deep in my heart I have the cold and heartrending feeling that my beloved girl was rather murdered by some bastard. This is the worst feeling in the world. I swear, this hurts more than anything. To all of you who are mothers, imagine how you'd feel if someone hurt your beloved human babies, how desperate, sad and enraged you'd be, how hopeless... how infinitely sad... that's right how I feel right now. This is the hell itself.

My beloved Meowsy....

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But, darlin, your mother is right. She may well be in someone's home right now, being loved and cared for. Not as you love her, but still loved. I know how easy it is to think of all the horrible possibilities, but they are not the ONLY possibilities. Try very, very hard to turn you mind towards the good ones.

LookingforMeowsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953, I really, really, really wish I could think of the good possibilities, but as I stated in the original post, the place where I live is not one where people are nice to animals, or nice in general. Meowsy herself is a proof of it: back in 2014 I rescued her from the streets because she was shot 3 times with a pellet rifle, by people. People around here do these kind of things to animals just for fun. Of course, not all of them. I know cases of people who feed street cats, give them a home, love them. But there’s also a lot of evil in this godforsaken place.

The other day I was looking for her at 3:00 AM, and then, someone from a bunch of people who gather in front of a church every night to spoke pot every night, yelled at me “it’s dead already”. At such a late time, from a group of drug addicts, I did not confront the person, but I was left wondering, how did that person know that I was looking for my cat? Moreso, did that person kill my cat or saw her being killed? Why would he yell that at me? That was about 1 week and a half ago, I have wanted to confront that person, ask why did they say that, but I don’t have enough protection or safety to approach that group of drug-addicts in the middle of the night.

I'm destroyed by all this. I have reached the point where I cry every night.