Cat might've ate something toxic???

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat woke up from a nap, went up to me, and started trying to barf. He was gulping. Nothing came out though.
I thought it was maybe just hairballs, but I looked to his side, and there was a rough patch of fur there, which smelled like some kind of heavily scented soap.
My guess was that he was sleeping on that of some kind of spill, and managed to eat some as well. I looked in the possible places where there could've been some bath products that could spill, but I just did not find it.
I don't know what to do. I don't know if he could've eaten something poisonous, please help!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think that your cat might have, somehow, ingested something that's bad for him, you need to call an emergency vet, right this minute. They can talk you through it and help you determine whether you need to take the cat to the hospital for treatment or whether you can just keep him under observation at home.

Put the internet away. Pick up the phone. NOW!

Okay... Here's what the emergency vet is going to ask you:

You've got a male cat. Right? How old? Neutered? An approximation of his weight would help.

What do you THINK he might have gotten into? Soap?

How much do you think he may have ingested?
A lick or two? A mouthful? More?

If you can pin down exactly what he got into and have the container in-hand as you call the vet, this will be very helpful.

See if you can smell his breath? What does it smell like? His normal "tuna breath?" Or something else?

What is the cat doing besides wretching? Is he sleepy? How do his eyes look? Can you see his third eyelids?
How's his breathing? Feel his nose? Is it hot? Wet? Dry? You probably have some idea of what his nose feels like when he's normal right? How does it compare, now?
Can you feel his heartbeat? How does it feel compared to when he's normal?

Is he eating? Drinking? Going to the litter box?
How is he acting compared to normal?

Call the vet and be prepared to answer questions like this.

Then come back and tell us what the vet said. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you think that your cat might have, somehow, ingested something that's bad for him, you need to call an emergency vet, right this minute. They can talk you through it and help you determine whether you need to take the cat to the hospital for treatment or whether you can just keep him under observation at home.

Put the internet away. Pick up the phone. NOW!

Okay... Here's what the emergency vet is going to ask you:

You've got a male cat. Right? How old? Neutered? An approximation of his weight would help.

What do you THINK he might have gotten into? Soap?

How much do you think he may have ingested?
A lick or two? A mouthful? More?

If you can pin down exactly what he got into and have the container in-hand as you call the vet, this will be very helpful.

See if you can smell his breath? What does it smell like? His normal "tuna breath?" Or something else?

What is the cat doing besides wretching? Is he sleepy? How do his eyes look? Can you see his third eyelids?
How's his breathing? Feel his nose? Is it hot? Wet? Dry? You probably have some idea of what his nose feels like when he's normal right? How does it compare, now?
Can you feel his heartbeat? How does it feel compared to when he's normal?

Is he eating? Drinking? Going to the litter box?
How is he acting compared to normal?

Call the vet and be prepared to answer questions like this.

Then come back and tell us what the vet said. :)
Called the vet, they said that I should just look over him from the next 24 hours. Couldn't fit an appointment in for at least another 2 weeks :(
He seems fine for now. He ate a bit, and went to bed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Continue to monitor him as there can be a gray area between seems fine, eats a little, and sleeps. Keep looking for whatever he got into as well as you will have more information as to how to proceed. If you are unsure about his condition and need to call the vet back tell them it is an emergency.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. If it is really an emergency, call your vet and TELL them that you are coming in. Appointments be damned!

If there is a life or death emergency, they ought to have a crash cart ready by the time you arrive.