Cat mess

nancy35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I experienced a rather messy problem this morning and am wondering about behavioral causes and solutions.
As is normal, I lie in bed for a few minutes after the alarm goes off, and eldest cat (of two) often makes noise, etc., to encourage me to get up. After about 15 minutes, she left and I quickly smelled a disturbing odor. She had messed right on the bed! A rather large pile, so this did not seem like an emergency where she couldn't get to the box fast enough, nor was it diarrhea. The area was also wet, which I assume was urine. Everything affected has been rinsed and in the laundry, so I hope I've removed the offending material before odors had a chance to set.
The larger concern to me is why, and how do I prevent this in the future? I've not had this problem with her or any cat before. I have two litter boxes which I clean every other day or so; I know I should do this daily but I've not had a problem until now. Could it be stress-related? I have traveled quite a bit with my job in the last six months. They stay with a friend while I am gone, and they seem to like this friend and enjoy staying there.
Any suggestions? I don't want this to become a chronic problem. I also cannot monitor her behavior 24 hours a day. Thanks for any help with this.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi Nancy and welcome to the forums!

Yeah, you really should take care of this ASAP, before it turns into a habit. First you need to get her to the vet and rule out medical causes. As you say there was also urine, I would have him check for urinart tract infections. Those are very common in cats and the first sign is often urination outside the box. I don't know about the defecating, but possibly she may have strained to urinate and that's cause her to defecate as well.

So far every time we've had someone with a cat urinating on their bed it was always UTI! So I would check that first.

Let us know what the vet says.