Cat Meows Excessively

Cat345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buddy is almost 3. Due to get neutered Iin a few weeks. Moved to love with me a few months ago. I also have another unneutered male, his littermate Jasper.

Buddy meows quite frequently. At first I had wondered if it was due to feeding. I had noticed he was often licking his bowl and sitting by it. Vet advised upping food so I did that and he doesn't seem food as much, but he still meows.

It doesn't appear to be the sound of him wanting to mate. When he meows, he mostly focuses on a door in my house, the door to the hallway. I am visually impaired so I usually keep the door shut. They have tried to run out the door before and are not microchipped to this new address yet so I am wary of letting them access to the hall I know if they tried to get out, I wouldn't see them in time to prevent them from doing so.

But buddy is obsessed with the door. He scratches at it and meows at it constantly. Usually I wait until he is quiet and distract him and sometimes he's quite happy to sit on or by me, other times, he goes right back to it. I thought he just wanted to explore or something so I let them in the hall but they just meowed there too. I'm not sure what they want. Jasper does it to a lesser degree, but still does it. It's stopping me from sleeping and I have neighbors directly through the wall so I'm cautious of disturbing them. Mostly though, I just want to figure out what he wants.

Should I just let him have access to the hall? I'm mainly just concerned about them getting outside but If it would make him happy, I'll do it.

I apologise if I've made any typos. Tia

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides the moving, which is a BIG change in a cat's life, and they hate change, the waiting until he is three to have him neutered has made him a slave to his hormones. Unneutered cats are driven to meow constantly because they want outside to find a mate, at ANY cost. They WILL get out. PLEASE have them both neutered so they can be content to be inside and not want out. I just buried one that got hit on the street, it is just not worth it to go through that by letting them roam. Not to mention the spraying, the abscess,( that will come, not may come) because of fighting over females, and the chance of losing an a eye or an ear. Without exception, EVERY one of the feral toms I feed have gone through this and yours will too.
They are back to normal THE NEXT DAY after surgery, and the cost is well worth the happiness and calmness it brings to them. I don't know why you haven't had it done, but the health and happiness it brings to your cats is worth way over any risks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason I haven't had it done was due to the fact I was homeless up until a few months ago. He was booked straight in for a check up and is due to get neutered within the next few weeks. They had been in foster up until now. I had every intention of neutering him until things went awry. Now it's back on track, that's the first thing I'm doing.

Anyway, thank you for suggesting it's most likely due to his not being neutered. His brother will be neutered not long after him, and hopefully things will settle for them both.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so glad to hear this, a little background really helps! I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, I truly pray you will never be in that situation again, it is frightening and brings such hopelessness. Thank you for giving a home and love to these two little ones, may your future be bright, and you be blessed for your empathy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! That's really kind! Thankfully I had wonderful people that were able to look after them while I found a stable place to live, once

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad that your life is more stable now. If you haven’t already, you can google your city/state and see if they have low cost spay/neuter clinics. They have lots of them in America. I hope they have one near you, to help keep costs down.

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! That's really kind! Thankfully I had wonderful people that were able to look after them while I found a stable place to live, once
Best of luck to you and "the kids" and please update us after they are neutered.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides the moving, which is a BIG change in a cat's life, and they hate change, the waiting until he is three to have him neutered has made him a slave to his hormones. Unneutered cats are driven to meow constantly because they want outside to find a mate, at ANY cost. They WILL get out. PLEASE have them both neutered so they can be content to be inside and not want out. I just buried one that got hit on the street, it is just not worth it to go through that by letting them roam. Not to mention the spraying, the abscess,( that will come, not may come) because of fighting over females, and the chance of losing an a eye or an ear. Without exception, EVERY one of the feral toms I feed have gone through this and yours will too.
They are back to normal THE NEXT DAY after surgery, and the cost is well worth the happiness and calmness it brings to them. I don't know why you haven't had it done, but the health and happiness it brings to your cats is worth way over any risks.

Tom (our 2 mo baby) does the meowing quite a lot, but its mainly when he sees us and runs to us. I thought this was normal behavior ...when we carry him he meows too for a few secs and he starts purring (so cute) so this is not normal?? I thought it was because he is a little baby