Cat meows but when I approach she runs away

butterbucket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have had my cat for over a year now. She’s lovely but anxious and skittish due to her previous homes.

She has started a habit where she will meow/trill at me but when I approach her she will run away. I thought it was food related so I have given her some dry food on occasions because I thought maybe she was getting hungry but she will still continue to be vocal after. I’ve played with her but still no change and I’ve also let her outside but she will meow to come in after only a few minutes and continue to meow after.
There have been times I will ignore her completely and she will eventually come over and sit beside me and lay down so I think it may be an attention thing.

She does have a routine. 9am and 9pm she is fed 85g of grain free wet food. I play with her either before or after her meals. After she eats she will sleep.

She wants something but I don’t know what it is.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My girl has done this all the time I've had her. She wants me to chase her, or go off and do something like search for imaginary mice under the furniture, or lie down on the bed for a nap. I've never really looked at it as running away. If that's the case with your girl, then you'd be right about it being an attention thing. :)

And welcome to TCS!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl has done this all the time I've had her. She wants me to chase her, or go off and do something like search for imaginary mice under the furniture, or lie down on the bed for a nap. I've never really looked at it as running away.
My cat Willy also has done this his whole life.

When he was younger, he used to do this all the time. I think it started from being banned from the bedroom when he was younger. He was too obnoxious at night, and for someone with insomnia it just wasn't working. He was always happy to sleep in the living room, anyway, but in the mornings he would meow repeatedly from the other side of the bedroom door.

I'd wake up and open the door, and he'd take off full-speed down the hallway away from the bedroom. I interpreted it as "It's morning, let's goooooo!"

Then he started doing that when I was in the same room as him. He'd meow for attention, usually when I had my back turned and focusing on something else. When I'd turn to approach him, he'd take off full-speed away from me. This always told me it was playtime.

He still does this sometimes now, at age 11, with cancer and being treated with chemotherapy.

He doesn't have nearly as much energy anymore, but when he is feeling good and in a playful mood, he still does the running-away-from-me thing sometimes. He will be meowing at me over and over, and when I turn towards him, he takes off away from me. I always interpreted this behavior as "let's do something!" I want him to get as much exercise as he is willing to get right now, so I always play with him whenever I see this.

And he's been a major lap-cat from day one, never so it's all about play, and was never about fear.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Normal cat-ism, “hey hey look over here there’s something, haha gotcha nothing there I just want food”

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Instead of approaching, are you able to sit down or squat down and coax the cat over to yourself? It can take some years to build full trust.

Alternatively is she leading you somewhere when she goes? Nobel used to lead me to what he wanted.