cat may have ingested thread from ornament toy

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm stupid, I left my kitten alone for hours with a cat toy ball with thread around it sold as a cat toy, given away at my pet store. came home from work to find my cat had vomited everywhere, was very nauseous, won't eat. found the thread tangled all over her cat tree, it definitely came from the ball. its too late for the vet. she is sitting still which is weird for her, and she is in heat, going to be spayed a month after its over. She seems ok other than she won't eat. she is purring, but much more still than usual.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm stupid, I left my kitten alone for hours with a cat toy ball with thread around it sold as a cat toy, given away at my pet store. came home from work to find my cat had vomited everywhere, was very nauseous, won't eat. found the thread tangled all over her cat tree, it definitely came from the ball. its too late for the vet. she is sitting still which is weird for her, and she is in heat, going to be spayed a month after its over. She seems ok other than she won't eat. she is purring, but much more still than usual.
If she's not 100% tomorrow AM take her in. Thread in the abdomen can be very dangerous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
took her to dr, vet thinks she's ok. She said that it probably wouldn't have caused the symptoms so fast. I'm guessing she got tangled in all the threads and freaked out. So far it was just a very rough night of a lot of vomit. Recovery next day was was very fast, almost like nothing was wrong.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the ball was like those Christmas tree ornaments with the silky thread around it, without the hook part. Can't believe its sold as a toy, although it was given to me free. There is so much thread around those balls although it doesn't look like it. Those types of ornaments are very dangerous, right up there with snowglobes. Careful with those kittens, mine even completely shredded my shower curtain.

Last edited:

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she is ok w. but here is the toy, found another in my toy box, they were giving them away at the pet store. it's a terrible idea for cat toy.