Cat May Have Hurt His Leg But I'm Going Away

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Wondering how best to approach my latest issue with my dear cats!

My boy (nearly 5, neutered, indoor only) is cleaning his back leg more insistently than normal. He's not limping, I can't see any injuries or swelling, it's not hot/warm to the touch and he's not crying or running away when I touch his leg. He does pull his leg away so it may be a little tender (or he may not like me holding his knees).

Normally, this would be a wait and see job for me. Give it a day or two and take him into the vet if he's still seeming bothered. Unfortunately, I'm travelling to New York tomorrow for a week (I live in the UK) for my first foreign trip with my husband in years!

We have pet sitters coming to look after the cats here but I feel awful launching this at them. Plus his symptoms are only really obvious to me as I live with him and its just a bit of extra cleaning.

Should I try and get him an emergency vet appointment tomorrow before I leave for my flight? Try and explain to the pet sitter what to look for and when to take him? Or try and ignore it based on symptoms being mild (or even non-existent and it's just my paranoia...) and take him when I return. In 6 days if he is still over cleaning?

I don't really feel like any of these options are great because the vet visit with me is stressful and then I leave, without me is worse but leaving him if he's in pain is an unbearable thought!

This is just typical. We haven't been able to travel while dealing with a chronic and then terminal illness of a cat we sadly lost last year. It took a lot of persuading for me to agree to go away and I'm very much regretting booking this trip.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How close are you to the sitters, and how willing would they be to 'go the extra mile' if need be? If close enough not to freak them out, ask them about watching over his leg for you, and if need be taking him to the vet. And, then set up Skype so you can confer with them while having them look him over via your instruction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are "professional" cat sitters. I've never met them before but they basically spend their lives looking after other people's cats/dogs. I needed to find someone who could be around for them most of the time and there is no way I was taking them to a cattery.

I'm sure they would take him to the vet if need be (I've already said any vet costs would be covered in full) but I don't know if they would see his very mild symptom as being anything out of the ordinary as they don't know Darwin and its just a bit of extra cleaning.

I suppose on the plus side the treatment is likely to be rest if he has hurt it and with strangers in the house he's not likely to be running around and jumping.

I don't know how often I'll have Internet while travelling as I don't fancy those data roaming charges so Skype may or may not be possible.

I'll have to discuss with them and agree a plan of action. He's currently hunting his companion around the house so it's clearly not to sore for a chase!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that this all depends on whether or not you think that the sitters will take action if something suddenly worsens...and I am not saying that it looks as if it will. When I take care of my friends' cats...and I am not a professional sitter....I ask that they leave me with the name of the vet and a written authorization to treat the cat if I needed to bring it in, just in case the vet were worried about financial obligations. I once did have to make the decision to allow surgery on a friend's yorkie while she was out of touch hiking the Appalachian Trail, of all things.

I would also assume that if these people pet sit for a living they are prepared for contingencies.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do a wait and see (and enjoy your trip as much as you are able!) >>> let the cat sitters know what to watch out for; call the vet and give the vet the cat sitters' names and verify that you've given permission for them to bring him in for veterinary care (& payment!) should it seem needed.
:vibes: :vibes: :cheerleader:

Have a wonderful trip!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add in this, that the cats should not be allowed outside while you're away, no matter any usual outdoor routine they currently enjoy.

That should include as well that extra care be taken when entering/exiting the house.

It's hard to predict if/how their behaviour may be affected/change with your absence, but it will be essential to ensure their security for the duration.

I take it, then, that these people will be strangers to the cats. Personally, I'd prefer only one individual, and I'd insist on one or two visits with the cats before your trip.....so they have even a minimal familiarity with the sitter. Otherwise, he/she may be lucky to catch just occasional glimpses of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, things are looking a bit better this morning. I haven't seen him clean his leg this morning so whatever it was appears to have eased. The cat sitters are due to arrive any minute. I'll ask them to keep an eye on any cleaning - unlike Hedy he will come out and say hello.

Just to add in this, that the cats should not be allowed outside while you're away, no matter any usual outdoor routine they currently enjoy.
Thanks white shadow white shadow . The cats are indoor only anyway and the sitters have been briefed on this. They have dealt with indoor only and Siamese cats before so are comfortable with it all.

Their cat Sitting schedule hasn't brought them to the area for us to meet in person (only via Skype) so we'll be here for a few hours with the cats to do introductions. Darwin will be annoyed for a couple hours before he decides he wants cuddles but Hedy will remain in hiding for the whole week we're away and will come out for food when they go out or are in bed - they are fairly predictable cats!