Cat may have eaten garlic

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made fish with garlic on it for dinner, and I found that one of the cats has played with it, and possibly ate some of it. It was on the counter with pieces of it scattered around. There was a main piece that looked like it may have been chewed up. I used one or two cloves of garlic on the fish (I can't remember which). I have 4 cats, and I have no idea who did it, so taking them all to the vet isn't exactly feasible. What should I do? I'm not sure if they actually ate the fish or just chewed on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I called the vet this morning and she said she wasn't concerned, and didn't want me to take them in for any kind of early treatment or anything, even the one that's most suspected of doing it. She said they're most likely going to be fine, and to just keep an eye on them, like you said. Still pretty freaked out over the whole situation. Not keeping garlic in the house anymore. I know that sounds extreme, but after a scare like this, it's just not worth it.

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been at least 24 hours now, and everyone is acting normal still. I know it can take up to a week for symptoms to show iirc, but this is an ok start I guess.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit late, but I suppose that smelling your cats' breath was something you did. As for people, I guess that a cat eating garlic has a tell-tale breath, hasn't it?

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did smell everyone's breath, and paws, too, actually. No one had any smells of fish or garlic on them. I have 2 young cats (a little over a year), one with no smell on their breath at all, and the other with a sweet smell (going to take her to the vet soon, her urine has a sweet smell too), and 2 older cats with the classic make your eyes water breath. I know SOMEONE messed with the fish, it didn't just magically fly off the plate and chew on itself, so the fact that I couldn't find any evidence on any of them is a bit frustrating to say the least. :')

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another silly question would be, did you find any vomit around the house? Could it be that whoever stole and chewed on that fish had vomited up shortly later?

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No questions are silly! They're all helpful and make me think of things I can look out for/do now/if it ever happens again! I did actually find some cat food right in front of my door a few hours later, but it was basically completed undigested. I'm pretty sure whoever it was ate way too fast and it just came back up almost instantly. I dont think it was related to the fish.