Cat mated 22 days ago and has a browny pinky discharge/ongoing pregnancy

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys
I have a 2 1/2 year old queen who was intentionally mated 7th September. A week following the mating she was treated for a uti - which according to my mentor is not unusual. She is has now a slight browny pinky discharge (3 weeks from mating) which started this morning . She is quiet but is eating and drinking. My mentor said that implantation of embryos can lead to this discharge. I have a vets appointment for this afternoon to be sure it’s not something else. Obviously I am worried for her. Has anyone else experienced this? She is a registered exotic shorthair.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be a miscarriage starting - perhaps of just a single embryo if not all. The vet can do an ultrasound to determine the number of embryos. Otherwise, unless she still has infection, it’s just a wait and see situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. She’s booked in to go in a couple of hours. Thank you.

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again,
Well just been to vets and she is booked in for an ultrasound tomorrow am. I raised concerns with pyo, however she stated the ultrasound would rule that out. She said it’s not likely to be pyo and it can be quite normal for discharge during cat pregnancy ( I filmed her leaking to show her) and pyo is quite rare in cats but more common in dogs. There is no sign of infection ie temp and hr and there appears to be no pain. She had a good feel and said there is defiantly something in there.
I think I will be of a more settled mind tomorrow. I’m taking in a urine sample too as she did have a uti 2 weeks ago.
thanks for your response.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do let is know what the ultrasound shows tomorrow. Things sound okay for now.

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Just got back from the vets. She was there from 09:45 but they had to slot her in between emergencies. No pyo! Yay! And… 3 babies, all with placentas. The vet said she is in tip too health and thinks the discharge was ‘a pregnant thing’. Anyway she is now eating like it’s the famine. The vet said “you can stop worrying now”. What!? It’s only just begun. She is booked in for 2nd trimester antenatal in 2 weeks and a scan the week before they’re due for sizing.
thank you so much for listening to a worried cat mama you are a star. X

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to the site! :wave3:So glad to hear your girl is Ok! :) You are absolutely right that Sarthur2 Sarthur2 is a star! 🌟

Please don’t hesitate to pop in again with questions and tolet us know how your girl is progressing. :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Discharge after mating is not a ‘pregnancy thing’, how experienced are your mentor and vet in breeding?
I would be very concerned about an infection, vaginitis as pyo was ruled out.

She is booked in for 2nd trimester antenatal in 2 weeks and a scan the week before they’re due for sizing.
a scan for sizing is unnecessary stress on a pregnant cat, nor is sizing at all accurate.
unless ill there’s little reason to expose a cat to the stress and germs of a vet clinic in pregnancy.

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mentor has bred for over 20 years. The vet I use has an interest in exotics.She was screened for infection and received a full examination. I did query bladder or vaginal infection, but these were ruled out.
my vet said it is pregnancy related and I have to trust their knowledge. She also said that if she was a domestic shorthair who was allowed outdoors I wouldn’t notice. I watch her constantly. Would you recommend a second opinion? Money is no object I am prepared to pay what ever amount to make sure my queen is well.

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Discharge after mating is not a ‘pregnancy thing’, how experienced are your mentor and vet in breeding?
I would be very concerned about an infection, vaginitis as pyo was ruled out.

a scan for sizing is unnecessary stress on a pregnant cat, nor is sizing at all accurate.
unless ill there’s little reason to expose a cat to the stress and germs of a vet clinic in pregnancy.

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With regards to another scan. If it will cause unnecessary stress I will take your advice and not do this. I want to make sure she has all the anti natal care necessary to keep her well. Thank you for this feedback.

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there
My cat is 57-58 days pregnant. She’s not very big but was clarified at the vets as having 3 embryos. However she is now displaying season symptoms. She is calling and presenting. She did have a pinky, bloody discharge about 4 weeks ago which is when I took her to the vets who stated it was pregnancy related and for me to return her the following week for another scan to confirm heartbeats. After much consideration I decided against the idea as she was well and did not want to stress her out any further.
I do have a mentor and waiting on her reply from my call. But I’m inpatient and after exhausting internet searches I thought I’d ask you lovely people as you all have a wealth of experience.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a picture of her we could see? Cats usually give birth around 63 days, have you felt any movement at all in her abdomen or sides? Do you know exactly when she was bred? if you do then her crying could be related to hormonal changes, usually, a cat will act as though they are in heat because they are entering labor. Watch her closely, she still has at least a week to go and any kittens born now would be premature, and premature kittens do not do well. Could she have miscarried the kittens when she was having the discharge 4 weeks ago? Or has she been getting bigger and you are feeling movement? Pregnant cats CAN show signs of being in heat, but it is very rare. All the luck and keep us posted!

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies.
I have attached a couple of photos. She is licking her vulva and then jumping up and running round??? She is still grooming herself consistently.
In terms of suspected miscarriage, I was in contact with the vet stating that the discharge did not feel right to a point where I do feel they thought I was slightly neurotic 😆. Vet replied in numerous emails That it was ‘pregnancy related’ and should I wish I could book for another scan to see heart beats. As reiterated I did not think it fair to stress her out with yet another scan. - the photo shows a shaved belly where they scanned her. Her teats are very pink, yet her tiny bulbous mound on her right side has gone??

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is licking herself, she may be going into labor. Could you be wrong on the mating date? If she is only having a few kittens she may not get very big, She does not look very pregnant to me. With all that hair though it is hard to see, she is gorgeous by the way, a beautiful British Shorthair! The 'mound' that disappeared may be because the kittens are lined up in the birthing canal. Keep a close eye on her, she needs you right now no matter what!

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.
The mating dates were between 3-7 September. The vet said to take from first mating.
I know! She doesn’t look very pregnant, she has a bulge on her right side but it’s difficult to get a photo; she keeps rolling around when I get the camera out lol.
when she stretches upright ( to have a nosey) you can see the pear like shape of her body. The hair around her nipples are thinning. I’m absolutely stuck. I have prepared nesting boxes all over the house for her but she appears very clingy today and vocal. However, it’s the heat Symptoms that are baffling me. Maybe she is, maybe she isn’t??
Yes she is gorgeous and so so precious. I love her so much.

Selby69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the quick reply. With regards to kitten movement. I THINK I may have felt movement over the past few days, but it may have been her stomach I was palpating 😂. She has been eating lots. I started her on Royal Canin wet and dry kitten food plus a vitamin supplement at 3 weeks. Oh I don’t know!? If she isn’t pregnant should her nipples have returned to their pre pregnancy state? Really the nipples are all I’m going on at the moment. She may have miscarried when she had the discharge? Wouldn’t I have seen some bloody tissue though? I know she would not have eaten them as she can’t eat adult food very well due to her flat face so has always had kitten biscuits, but I’m so expert.
Are ther any peeps out there who have had kittens and their queen has remained pre pregnancy size?
Thank you. She is beautiful and so so precious to me. We have an amazing bond and I never let her out of my site. X

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, any update? Hope she is doing well, sounds as though you are a very responsible breeder, so thank you for doing the right thing by her.