Cat Mastitis

AlexL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! My cat gave birth about 7 weeks ago and her kittens nurses normally and everything. We then got rid of them last week when they were 6 weeks old. My cats breasts are very swollen and hot and I’m not sure if I should be worried. They are also very firm and you can fill a very solid edge right before her milk pouch.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Six weeks is too young for kittens to be separated from their mother. When you say you "got rid of them" where did they go? Did you take them to a shelter or find new homes for them?

Is it possible to get them back for a few more weeks? They really need to be with their mother until 12 weeks old at least.

Hot, swollen breasts are to be expected if she suddenly lost all of the kittens she was nursing. You can try making a warm compress with a damp towel to help her express the milk she has built up. If she has a bacterial infection she will need antibiotics, so you will have to take her to a vet.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those kittens really shouldn't have left Mama until 12 weeks old, it's far too early for them to be rehomed at 6weeks.
I would get Mama to the vets, she looks sore! Also get her booked in for spaying ASAP, she'll be back in heat soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Norachan Norachan . You separated her kittens too young and mom is now engorged and in pain. Her mammaries can split open if she’s not treated. Use the compress, apply coconut oil, and get her to the vet. She’ll need antibiotics and they can also give her meds to dry up her milk. This is sad. I hope you found good homes for the kittens.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure the compresses aren't too hot, apply them to your own skin first. warm compresses definitely would help. It's not unusual for this to happen if mama hasn't started weaning the kittens. Watch her for hiding and refusal to eat, then there is an infection coming on. I had a cat get pregnant again when her own kittens were only two weeks old, so unless you want litter after litter, please have her spayed.