Cat Marking Territory, Again.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had Maxine for about 5 years now. Perfectly normal indoor cat. The only time she ever peed outside her litter box was the day I first brought her home. A stray came up to the window and Max immediately left a drop of pee in the 4 corners of the house, marking her territory. I get that.

Since then there are strays that come around every day, but Max doesn't seem to feel threatened, and she has never repeated her territory marking. That is, until today . there wasn't even a cat that came around but Max went around claiming her territory.

Why would she do that out of the blue? Should I be concerned?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sudden marking of territory can mean the unwanted presence of another animal, such as dog, coyote, large raccoon or mountain lion. How are the ferals acting,?
She could be having urinary tract issues - how are matters in the litter box?
.....on a side note, are you able to do TNR or be willing to let a TNR group use your yard as a base of operations? It is a win-win situation for all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sudden marking of territory can mean the unwanted presence of another animal, such as dog, coyote, large raccoon or mountain lion. How are the ferals acting,?
She could be having urinary tract issues - how are matters in the litter box?
.....on a side note, are you able to do TNR or be willing to let a TNR group use your yard as a base of operations? It is a win-win situation for all.
Thanks Catsknowme. Since the ferals/strays are around almost daily, there really wasn't anything new for her to react to. Litter box looks same as usual. I'll keep an eye out for tract problems . Re TNR, LOCAL WILDLIFE WORKERS ARE ALREADY active in the area. I live in a park-like setting and there is a large/permanent colony. Neighbors feed them and they dine primarily on squirrels. The resident hawks and owls keep the feral population in check .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You mentioned there weren't any other cats around.
I'm not a vet, but this sounds to me that, as mentioned, something bigger with four legs was in the area...
Hopefully your kitty becomes more relaxed again :)

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You mentioned there weren't any other cats around.
I'm not a vet, but this sounds to me that, as mentioned, something bigger with four legs was in the area...
Hopefully your kitty becomes more relaxed again :)
Maybe I missed something. We've got resident ducks, ibis, herons, cranes, otters, etc that come around all the time looking for handouts, but I've never seen anything like a fox or coyote.

Anyway, I hope it was just a one time thing. Maybe Maxine thought it was time to renew her lease. I'll still keep an eye out for urinary problems.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to ask the wildlife workers what top predators their trailcams have recorded? It seems unusual with all the thriving wildlife, there would not be top predators - maybe badgers and wolverines. It sure would be interesting to discover what night creatures are in your neck of the woods.:camera:

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you able to ask the wildlife workers what top predators their trailcams have recorded? It seems unusual with all the thriving wildlife, there would not be top predators - maybe badgers and wolverines. It sure would be interesting to discover what night creatures are in your neck of the woods.:camera:
Great idea. I'll do that. I have seen racoons, and an occasional gator (I'm in Florida). But really nothing else, at least in my neighborhood. I am surprised that I've never seen a fox or coyote, but maybe 1 million gators explains that. Be interesting to see what the local wildlife folks say .