Cat Making Snorting Sounds, Nose Sounds Gurgly

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 14 year old Jeffery didn't really eat breakfast this morning and tonight he was plainly not interested in supper. He's making a noise that sounds like he's got mucus going down the back of his throat (if he were a human). He sort of snorts then swallows like it was mucus he was clearing. Ears are cool, eyes are clear. He's laying on the bed at the moment---which he never does. I don't notice anything with his breath but a couple of years ago he had to get 2 teeth pulled, so I worry it's that.

For as long as he tolerates me near him, it sounds like his nose is stuffy. He's a shy cat and at the most will agree to drape himself across my ankles, but not a snuggler or fond of a concerned cat guardian looking at him long. In fact, getting him into a pet carrier is difficult. When he got the teeth pulled the vet was supposed to give him his vaccinations and then forgot. I was so irked because getting him back there was especially not cool since he remembered quite well the teeth pulling.

We're going to take him to the vet tomorrow to see what's up, but does this sound like upper respiratory?

He's not a chewer or playful so I don't think he's ingested something. Last night he was bugging me for a snack so this is a new thing today.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like URI to me. If so, Jeffrey an I are in the same boat. I feel as though I've been sick for a month. Sure hope he gets better quick.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that this sounds like a URI. Since this is affecting his appetite I would take him to the vet. I don’t know if this is something you can get before his vet visit but it may be helpful. My senior cat Starbuck hates going in the carrier and being in the car. She is also very uncomfortable around anyone but mommy or daddy. Years ago my vet gave me a sample Feliway wipe to use before her next vet visit. My hubby had to take Starbuck to the vet while I was at work and usually it takes both of us to get her in the carrier. He decided to use the Feliway wipe on the carrier as the vet suggested. He was able to get her in the carrier by himself. In the car she only complained a little bit. She normally screams like she is being murdered in the car and sometimes pees on herself. When he go to the vets she came out of the carrier on her own. Normally the carrier has to be taken apart to get her out. She did not yell at the vet during her exam. She fell asleep in the car on the way home. When she got home she came out of the carrier and did not hide under the bed for hours. Hubby said she acted like a different cat. Starbuck was abandoned out a car window as a baby and has never been comfortable in the car.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: The feliway wipe sounds genius! Thanks Catlover73!

Alas, he doesn't have a URI. He had a slight fever, was dehydrated. He got a subq fluid because of course, that makes you feel awful to be dehydrated. No other infection present, no tooth problam, but the vet took a blood sample and....he is hyperthyroid in a big way. Gee whiz. What the heck? This will be the 3rd cat I've had with hyperthyroid. Anyway, the vet is going to call in to get the medication compounded by the pharmacy I use for Booberry's cisapride. Meanwhile tonight I got 1/2 a tab crushed, mixed with water and squirted into his mouth. I followed it with some butter which he loves. He actually ate some of his food for supper.

If he doesn't eat more, they want to keep him for a couple of days to get him back up to snuff. I have him going to a different vet than I do my other hyperthyroid cat (long story about vet issues and I considered moving them all to Jeffery vet).

Anyway, Scooter's vet compounds the thyroid medication right there. Jeffery's vet is a piller vet. Sigh. Of course we have to wait to see what the proper dosage is and the state of HIS kidneys to consider the radioactive treatment. Scoo can't have it because he also is CKD.

I could be a dang vet tech with all the monitoring and medication with my own gang.

I feel like I've failed them. Canned food. Good canned food. Tried making homemade (they hated the supplement powder additive)....So many people put cat chow in the bowl and never have a problem. But probably the reason I have a 17 and 14 year old is because of the other care.

Jeffery is very difficult and I don't think I'll be successful much with the medication. A couple of times when Scooter was still falling for the pill pockets, Jeffery ate the pill pocket from under Scoo, so when he has an appetite, I know he'll eat it. But there is no way at all I can pill this cat. Not sure I'll be able to squirt the medication either. Tonight was I was able to mix a 1/2 tab with a bit of water and get it into him with a casual, quick shot but that's because he feels like crap.

Scooter, as a contrast, is an easy cat and he fights the medication even as liquid. He loves Wellness Duos, and so in the evening I can mix the medication with that and he eats it all up. Jeffery has a fondness for baby food, so that might work when he's feeling better. Here's to hoping his kidneys are okay because he would be the candidate for the permanent thyroid treatment.