Cat makes pop noises

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I think when she breathes out. Not all the time. She doing it sitting on my lap. Anyone else's cat do that?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be a respiratory allergy.
Does she produce a lot of mucus (from the nose or mouth)? Does she cough up any phlegm or throw up more than usual?
Does she cough, gasp or wheeze? Does she get watery eyes or get a lot of boogers in her eyes?

If she doesn't do any of those things and, as long as she doesn't have any trouble breathing, I would say that it's just a "thing."

I often make weird noises like that when I sleep... or so I am told... ;)
It's usually because I have a cold or when allergy season rolls around.

Most people have some sort of minor allergies. If you have ever gotten watery eyes from dust and pollen or had sneezing fits when you smell something, it's a form of allergic reaction. It's what's supposed to happen. That's how the body gets rid of irritants and other bad things.

For most people, the solution is to get away from the thing that causes the problem. People can blow their noses or take some cold medicine. The symptoms will go away after a short time.

But, for some people, the reaction is severe or lasts for a long time. Those are people who we say have allergies.
The truth is that everybody is allergic to SOMETHING. It's just that some people have more severe allergic reactions or they are allergic to mundane things that most people don't have a reaction to.

Anyhow... I will often make noises when I breathe... especially during pollen season... but I don't consider myself allergic to anything.

Our cat, Casper also makes noises when he sleeps. He'll wheeze and snore. It doesn't bother him and he is otherwise healthy so we don't worry about it. We just keep an eye on him and, if anything goes wrong, we'll call the vet. So far, after six years, we haven't had to.

However, Casper does occasionally cough and get respiratory spasms/flare-ups.
He'll get down low to the ground, stick his head out and make a coughing noise that sounds like honking.
It only lasts for less than a minute and it goes away in a short time. It only happens occasionally and he is otherwise healthy. Again, we don't worry about it and keep an eye out.

For the coughing, we have talked to a vet. As far as we can tell, Casper just has trouble with dust or pollen. It only seems to happen during the spring pollen season or when the house is unusually dusty. The vet says that Casper is probably unusually allergic to pollen or something in the air but, as long as it doesn't last a long time or happen too often, we are supposed to keep an eye on him and call if it gets worse.

Long story made short... It sounds like your cat has a similar problem to Casper (and me, too)
As long as your cat is otherwise healthy and the problem doesn't get worse, I'm guessing that you don't have anything to worry about.

But, if it does get worse or happens too often, call a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She is starting to wheeze when snoring but seems ok. It's odd that she snores when her eyes are not closed

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper wheezes when he snores.
As long as he rests comfortably, we don’t worry.
In fact, that’s often how we find him when he disappears. We just follow the sound.
He’ll usually be found sleeping on a pile of blankets in back of the closet.

As for the “eyes open” thing... That’s common with cats.

Cats can do something called “hemispherical sleep” where only part of the brain shuts down, leaving the rest active enough to detect predators or other dangers so that they don’t end up as something else’s lunch.

When cats are in hemispherical sleep you’ll see them sleep with one eye open and, as different parts of their brains cycle in or out of sleep mode, their eyes will alternately open and shut.

Have you ever seen your cat, seemingly in a dead sleep, suddenly wake up and come a-runnin’ when they hear you shake a container of their favorite kitty treats?

Chalk it up to the cat’s hemispherical sleeping.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That is interesting. She does sleep with one eye open. Probably watching the cat shes afraid of

gavin1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. We had a cat with asthma and food allergies. When cats get low to the ground and coughs (as if it were a hairball with no hairball) that is a sign of asthma. Have you been to an internist? They will be able to assess and provide guidance. Our boy was on Budesonide nebulizer for 4 years and did really well. No coughs the whole time. We also only used non scented detergent/cleaners, no air fresheners or perfumes, and cleaned all the time. It's something we still do to this day

Could be a respiratory allergy.
Does she produce a lot of mucus (from the nose or mouth)? Does she cough up any phlegm or throw up more than usual?
Does she cough, gasp or wheeze? Does she get watery eyes or get a lot of boogers in her eyes?

If she doesn't do any of those things and, as long as she doesn't have any trouble breathing, I would say that it's just a "thing."

I often make weird noises like that when I sleep... or so I am told... ;)
It's usually because I have a cold or when allergy season rolls around.

Most people have some sort of minor allergies. If you have ever gotten watery eyes from dust and pollen or had sneezing fits when you smell something, it's a form of allergic reaction. It's what's supposed to happen. That's how the body gets rid of irritants and other bad things.

For most people, the solution is to get away from the thing that causes the problem. People can blow their noses or take some cold medicine. The symptoms will go away after a short time.

But, for some people, the reaction is severe or lasts for a long time. Those are people who we say have allergies.
The truth is that everybody is allergic to SOMETHING. It's just that some people have more severe allergic reactions or they are allergic to mundane things that most people don't have a reaction to.

Anyhow... I will often make noises when I breathe... especially during pollen season... but I don't consider myself allergic to anything.

Our cat, Casper also makes noises when he sleeps. He'll wheeze and snore. It doesn't bother him and he is otherwise healthy so we don't worry about it. We just keep an eye on him and, if anything goes wrong, we'll call the vet. So far, after six years, we haven't had to.

However, Casper does occasionally cough and get respiratory spasms/flare-ups.
He'll get down low to the ground, stick his head out and make a coughing noise that sounds like honking.
It only lasts for less than a minute and it goes away in a short time. It only happens occasionally and he is otherwise healthy. Again, we don't worry about it and keep an eye out.

For the coughing, we have talked to a vet. As far as we can tell, Casper just has trouble with dust or pollen. It only seems to happen during the spring pollen season or when the house is unusually dusty. The vet says that Casper is probably unusually allergic to pollen or something in the air but, as long as it doesn't last a long time or happen too often, we are supposed to keep an eye on him and call if it gets worse.

Long story made short... It sounds like your cat has a similar problem to Casper (and me, too)
As long as your cat is otherwise healthy and the problem doesn't get worse, I'm guessing that you don't have anything to worry about.

But, if it does get worse or happens too often, call a vet.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
No mucus. Her snore today was a long squeak. She does sneeze occasionally so it may be allergies.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When cats get low to the ground and coughs (as if it were a hairball with no hairball) that is a sign of asthma.
We talked to our vet about it. It is either allergies or asthma. We're not certain which.

It only lasts for a short time. Less than a minute. He recovers quickly after the episode passes. Within a couple of minutes.
It doesn't happen frequently. No more than once per day and no more than a couple of days per week.
It happens most often during spring when pollen is high or at other times when the house is dusty.

In order to tell whether it's asthma or allergies, we'd have to get Casper tested and that's an expense we'd rather not have.
His symptoms are not severe enough or frequent enough to justify the expense.

Further, Casper does often get watery eyes and he gets more eye boogers than usual during pollen season. This points toward allergies.

If Casper needs allergy medicine or asthma medicine, we can get it for him but, as it is now, neither we nor our vet think it's necessary.

We just watch Casper when he has a flareup, make sure he's okay and comfort him afterward.

He's had fewer flareups, lately. I don't remember Casper having any since, at least, last spring.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
We talked to our vet about it. It is either allergies or asthma. We're not certain which.

It only lasts for a short time. Less than a minute. He recovers quickly after the episode passes. Within a couple of minutes.
It doesn't happen frequently. No more than once per day and no more than a couple of days per week.
It happens most often during spring when pollen is high or at other times when the house is dusty.

In order to tell whether it's asthma or allergies, we'd have to get Casper tested and that's an expense we'd rather not have.
His symptoms are not severe enough or frequent enough to justify the expense.

Further, Casper does often get watery eyes and he gets more eye boogers than usual during pollen season. This points toward allergies.

If Casper needs allergy medicine or asthma medicine, we can get it for him but, as it is now, neither we nor our vet think it's necessary.

We just watch Casper when he has a flareup, make sure he's okay and comfort him afterward.

He's had fewer flareups, lately. I don't remember Casper having any since, at least, last spring.
Same here. So wait and see.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sir Eats-A-Lot, about 5 years old, has occasional spells of noisy breathing similar to what your video shows, both when awake and sleeping. Never presented a problem and the veterinarian actually praised his condition when I took him in for his annual check-up a few weeks ago. Your cat might not have that much of a problem?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sir Eats-A-Lot, about 5 years old, has occasional spells of noisy breathing similar to what your video shows, both when awake and sleeping. Never presented a problem and the veterinarian actually praised his condition when I took him in for his annual check-up a few weeks ago. Your cat might not have that much of a problem?
Thanks. How did you get the video to play?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Another weird one. This one really is popping. Good to know nothing to worry about. Just strange.

Sounds like someone hitting a cord on an instrument