Cat loving dirty places

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a year old male cat who just loves exploring. He is very adventurous and wild so he goes out alot. But the thing is recently I discovered him turning up home with greasy fume all over his body. Even at home he loves to go on top of kitchen cupboards and lie or roll where lot of dusts and grease are collected. I think he does similar outside
He also likes to sleep beside me next to bed so this is a real problem for me and also for his health, as he might get sick from licking or cleaning his body
I cannot just not let him outside because he would cry all day if I do so and he also does all his business outside
So what should I do? I can't wash him everytime he goes out and comes back as he come and go every few hours and he goes out everyday without an exception

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dunno what your cat’s getting into, but I suspect long term exposure is going to have its consequences. The dust and grease on top of the cabinets can’t be good, either.

It’s time get a litterbox and a catio. Maybe a harness and a leash. Do some cleaning. No more unsupervised outside adventures. Yes, your cat will complain until the catio is ready, but with training, the complaining will stop.

PS- I assume your cat is neutered.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is just dirt and dust it probably isn’t harmful but if it is actual grease or motor oil it can hurt him. You can buy non scented baby or pet wipes or even wipe him down with a slight damp clothes well enough to dust him off and remove dirt but if they don’t clean him then keeping him in or in a catio might be your only options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think I can make a catio for him as I live in a ground floor apartment.
To give you an idea of the stuff that was on his body here's a picture
20210913_102427.jpg

This was like the 3rd time I wiped his body with the baby wipes and there was still a residue
I don't know if it's dust or motor oil but it didn't have any particular odour. But it did look too dark to be a simple dust or dirt
I live in a tiny apartment so I think he would be very distressed if I keep him indoor only as he's a big cat and is on the wild side

ps. He did use litter box up until last month when he started spending most of his wake time outside. Since last month I never cleaned his litter because he did all his outside
Also he is not desexed yet because I didn't get a chance to go to the vet because of covid

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would just buy a litter box and keep him inside he is already getting under stuff getting dirty you dont know what if any toxic stuff he gets in contact with only takes that one time for him to get under a car with a leaking radiator to get covered in anti freeze= game over for him then soon as he cleans his paws or fur

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a patio in the back to set up a catio kit on?
I have a veranda but too small only 3 x 4 sqm plus there's nothing to see outside as its next to a tall building that he won't really be interested in it even if I set it up
He's a really wild cat, not a typical household cat but still he's cute and affectionate that I can't send him off to another place
Luckily for the last couple of days he turned up without the grease on his fur
I guess he must have gotten himself under the car on the day

Last edited: