Cat loves water TOO much

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a client whose cat constantly plays in the water dish and/or knocks it over, he also paws at it purposefully splashing water out of the bowl. She has tried heavy dog bowls, large trays, and fountains. He paws all the water out of the heavy ones, plops his whole body in the trays, and completely knocked over and destroyed the fountain. A bowl in a stand didn't work either.

He is an overweight bub at 18lbs, so getting him to lose weight was another conversation we had. Someone suggested leaving water in the bathtub but worry the danger if he can't get back out, especially doing this unsupervised. The owner is going out of town at the end of this month and someone will only be stopping by once or twice a day to tend to him and she is afraid he will spill all the water right away. He has had crystals before and sometimes has urinary issues, no blockages yet, but we also had the conversation of the importance of getting him on canned food as well. He just LOVES water... a kiddie pool maybe haha. I am at a loss for suggestions...

Any thoughts on keeping him from playing in the water? Other dishes to try?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose she could set his water bowl inside a large new litterbox so that if the cat spills the water it remains there for him to drink out of the bottom of the box. I would use one of the tank type continuous water bowls so there is plenty for him to splash and drink.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why discourage him from doing something he likes?

Could you figure out a way for him to play in water that won't mess up the house? Yeah, a kiddie pool isn't a bad idea, actually. ;)

A former cat of ours, "Spike" was a Van cat that liked water. I wouldn't say that he was a "swimming cat" like the legend says but he would sometimes jump in the shower with you if you let him.

Casper likes to play under the bathtub faucet. We're happy to let him. Since he has had urinary crystals, we need to make sure that he has plenty of water available. If playing in the bathtub means he drinks more water then better, still.

Could you, possibly put some stairs of some sort inside the bathtub while the humans are on vacation? Maybe that would prevent him getting trapped in the tub. Then you could let the water trickle or you could put a fountain or some other source of water in there for him to play in.

That way he could splash to his heart's content and he wouldn't get water all over the house. :)

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw Boone sitting in the kitchen sink trying to drink from the faucet. So, I turned it on to a trickle. He loved it! Stuck his head under the water and tried to drink as it was falling off his head. :lol:
20200817_172023.jpg
20200817_171920.jpg
20200817_171738.jpg
20200817_171734.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could you, possibly put some stairs of some sort inside the bathtub while the humans are on vacation? Maybe that would prevent him getting trapped in the tub. Then you could let the water trickle or you could put a fountain or some other source of water in there for him to play in.
:yeah: I'd place some grip type mats in and over the edge of the bathtub, so he can get in and out, and then leave the water trickle from the tub faucet. If need be, place some of those same mats outside the bathtub as well. If someone is checking on him daily (ideally at least twice a day) they can check on the mats to make sure they are still in place. There are even mats with suction cups on them to help keep them in place in and over the edge of the tub.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why discourage him from doing something he likes?

Could you figure out a way for him to play in water that won't mess up the house? Yeah, a kiddie pool isn't a bad idea, actually. ;)

A former cat of ours, "Spike" was a Van cat that liked water. I wouldn't say that he was a "swimming cat" like the legend says but he would sometimes jump in the shower with you if you let him.

Casper likes to play under the bathtub faucet. We're happy to let him. Since he has had urinary crystals, we need to make sure that he has plenty of water available. If playing in the bathtub means he drinks more water then better, still.

That way he could splash to his heart's content and he wouldn't get water all over the house. :)
This isn't a bad idea. As long as there's a way for him to easily get out of the tub, leaving the faucet on a trickle for him while you are away would probably work.

I saw Boone sitting in the kitchen sink trying to drink from the faucet. So, I turned it on to a trickle. He loved it! Stuck his head under the water and tried to drink as it was falling off his head. :lol:
I had a faucet drinker too, Callie would always sit next to the kitchen sink and wait for me to turn the faucet on for her.
20200118_023042.jpg

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the leaving the faucet dripping idea too! We do that to keep pipes from freezing on really cold days anyway. Shouldn't add too much to the water bill for a few days!