Cat Loves Being Touched In A Weird Place...

LouMeezie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My adopted cat (14 months) has been with me for around 8 months now. He's well and truly settled and definitely thinks he's the king of the world. He's incredibly affectionate, loves cuddles, but has recently especially liked having tickles in a very strange place.... his back legs.
He'll be chilling out on his side and all I have to do is tickle that furry spot just behind his back leg with one finger and he'll lift his leg up like a dog peeing, start kneading and purring like crazy.
He's even rolled right over on to his back, both back legs in the air (such an elegant pose) and will just let me lightly tickle the fur there.
Anyone else's cats have a "special spot" ?

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww that's adorable haha! Not a unique place, but Augustine used to love being scritched right between the ears. He'd close his eyes in bliss and stand on his hindlegs to push his head into you hand and purr like crazy.

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So cute, like a dog! Marple drools when she's being brushed (or when she sees chicken). Radish doesn't really have any special spots Cuz he's a bundle of special already haha.

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Daww, Multo also drools when he's happy. He's the happiest when kneading pillows and blankets, especially clean ones. All that time and work, undone by just one happy cat haha!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dutch absolutely LOVES to have that place between his shoulders on his back rubbed. He arches his back into your hand, closes his eyes and purrs so loud it drowns out everything else! Molly loves, loves, loves head bumps. She climbs onto your lap and inches her way towards your face, (cause she's been removed so many times for kneading your chest with her sharp claws). then she runs her face along your own chin, lightly bumping and looking like she is in bliss. seh will do this for as long as you let her. I have never had a female that is as affectionate as she is.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If Poppy is in the mood to be ruffled, she will also lift her back legs whilst lying on her side, and let you scritch the insides of both legs, whilst purring. Then she'll start grooming her bib. As she's not an overly affectionate cat, I find this really amusing :p

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shade likes to crawl into my arms and have me scritch under his jaw, not behind his ears nor between his eyes. If I try to do anything but that he will firmly reach up with a paw and pull my hand down to under his jaw then rub his chin and jaw against the fingers.

He has gone as far as rolling on his back and wrapping all his legs on my arm to hug it in an effort to trap my hand just below his jaw line. When doing this, there are no claws used.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 1 cat that has 2 strange favorites, one is noogies not sure if that’s spelled right. But make a fist and rub the top of his head fast and hard. The other is between his back legs.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have certain "hot spots" on their bodies.

That little indentation at the base of the tail, on top of the rump, where the tail meets the spine is a hot spot. So is the base of the back of the neck where the cervical vertebrae meet the spine.

Those two spots are important for cat mating behavior. When a male cat approaches a receptive female cat he will paw or bite those two hot spots to make the female crouch down, put her tail up and assume the mating posture. It's a virtually automatic response, assuming that the cat is in heat and is receptive to the male. If she's not receptive she'll probably turn around and lash out at the interloper.

So... Yes! Be careful if you pet your cat on a "hot spot!" The cat might like it but you could also get scratched or bitten. It's not as likely if the cat is familiar to the human touching the hot spot but they could still squirm and run away.

Cats have "hot spots" all over their bodies.

The sides of the face, just behind the whiskers is the one of the places where cats rub their scent on objects and people. Same goes for the bottoms of the paws. They spread their scent when they scratch on things, thus marking their territory.

Some male cats like to have the front of their chest rubbed because that's where the bear down with their body weight to mate with a female.

Sometimes, if a cat has fleas or something (or if they HAD fleas) they might like their "armpits" scratched because that's one place where fleas like to hide and the cat thinks if feels good to have somebody scratch their itch.

Casper's "weird" petting spot is his tail.

He likes it when I gently stroke his tail.
I make an "OK" symbol with my fingers, around his tail and slide it along his tail. He doesn't like it if I use ANY pressure at all. Just a gentle stroke.

Cats that are friends with one another will sometimes intertwine their tails as they greet. I call it "Friend Tails."

So I'm guessing that Casper thinks he's doing "Friend Tails" with me when I stroke his tail like that. :D

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird for a cat just because it is so intimate. But Krista likes the bridge of her nose stroked. I started doing it to her when she was weak and miserable from pancreatitis and she developed this trust with me that now I think she rather enjoys it.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Maine Coon use to do that. You could do just about anything to him and touch him any where without him getting upset. He would lay down beside me belly up and snuggle beside me. I would rub the back of his legs and he would stick them straight up in the air. He loved it.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Diamond likes his ears crushed with my whole hand on top of his head. Seal likes to rub the top of his head on me when he is feeling affectionate. He loves to be rubbed and kissed there too! Leonid is a belly rub cat. And like many cats, he likes his cheeks and chin rubbed.

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cosmo just loves being petted like a dog. He likes having his head squished with both my hands and overall being scratched and rubbed pretty rough.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_20181017_161407.jpg
Sombra likes to lean on my chest and "kiss" my throat when I'm sitting down while I stroke her back from head to tail. If I stop stroking her she stops her kissing and hits my face with a front paw claws hidden until I resume stroking her.

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon likes to be scratched under her chin.
On the other hand, I love to stroke her paw which at times she swats me off. :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith doesn't like having her feet touched EXCEPT for her left back foot. Not only does she like to have it touched, she wants it rubbed. She spreads all her little toes out and purrs contentedly. If we stop rubbing the foot, we get yelled at. :lol: