Cat lover in a pandemic

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some of you probably saw my username and wondered why the number of messages on it was zero for too long. Sorry about that!

The reason is I fully expected to adopt a cat in July and wanted to join this forum before bringing it home. Unfortunately, it never happened before the pandemic got much worse in Florida and even vaccinated people were being told to wear masks again. I had to give up on adopting a cat this year after spending months, not weeks, searching and hoping. So now I am posting as a cat lover to help other cat lovers, chat with them about their cats, see cute kitty pictures, etc. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem! Many people adopted cats to keep them company during the pandemic, there are many available at your local shelter and through private people.
I think you are very smart to learn as much as possible BEFORE adopting a cat. It truly helps, it is a lifelong commitment. remember, kittens are VERY, VERY high energy, into everything and needing a LOT of attention, care, and watching so they don't hurt themselves. But they are also endearing and worth every second of it. Older cats will usually be scared and take a while to adjust to a new environment, but they are much calmer and require less attention as they get used to you and your home. We are here to help you in any way we can!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Di and Bob. (Are those the names of your avatar cats?) I focused my cat search on 1-3 year old cats. Many of them were 2. years old and most were female. The problem is my new cat needs to be very friendly and great with kids, which nobody at the shelter can predict. I learned the hard way a foster family can say this cat is very friendly and loves everyone because the cat loved them and their visitors. I have no doubt the purrfect cat for me is out there, but for now all I have are this forum and football.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such a shame you haven't been lucky as yet but you still have the pleasure of having the perfect cat for you hopefully in the near future. Will your shelters allow fostering with the view to adopt so if it doesn't work out you are under no obligation to adopt.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Such a shame you haven't been lucky as yet but you still have the pleasure of having the perfect cat for you hopefully in the near future. Will your shelters allow fostering with the view to adopt so if it doesn't work out you are under no obligation to adopt?
I already tried it in June with a spotted tabby named Aurora. I changed her name to Bella fully expecting her to work out, but it was not to be. That was the first time I ever returned a cat and I cried about giving her up.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very shy when brought to a new home. Kids would delay the getting used to a new home, they are too loud and move too quickly. Males are usually more lovey and friendly than females, I have had only one female out of twenty that was super lovey. A cat can take up to 6 months to get used to a place. They almost always do, some just take longer. A bolder male does very well with children, females are the manners teachers, the disciplinarians and do very well on their own. Males like to be around other cats and people.
The cats in my avatar are both deceased now, they were beautiful souls. Burt is the grey and white, he lived to almost 17 and was so gentle and loving. Casper, the Flamepoint was blue-eyed, VERY talkative, and liked to get into trouble. I often had to get the ladder out because he would climb a tree onto the roof and then cried until we brought him down. It became a game with him!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
afacd132c529eacb77ece9123a8eb190.gif
Heart For Cat, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
67027656263d7e97202c7e2079ce9596.jpg
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

I hope that you find the right kitty soon and the right kitty will choose you.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are very shy when brought to a new home. Kids would delay the getting used to a new home, they are too loud and move too quickly. Males are usually more lovey and friendly than females, I have had only one female out of twenty that was super lovey. A cat can take up to 6 months to get used to a place. They almost always do, some just take longer. A bolder male does very well with children, females are the manners teachers, the disciplinarians and do very well on their own. Males like to be around other cats and people.
The kids are actually my niece and nephew who come over sometimes. They never met Bella. It did not take very long for her to like me. She just does not like to be petted every time I want to pet her or as long as I want to pet her and let me know by scratching or biting me so we were just not a good match. I don't want to appear selfish but the main reasons I want a cat are to do what she did not want me to do. I know she will be very happy in a different home.

Other people have said that about male and female cats, but the individual cat's personality is what really matters. For now I can't search for a cat anyway because Florida is unsafe to go out in public.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Sorry things haven't worked out for you to adopt a cat yet. Hopefully things will improve in Florida soon, and you'll be able to visit animal shelters again, and finally be able to find and adopt a kitty that needs a loving home. Meanwhile, peruse TCS, and learn all you need to know about cats. And stay safe. 🤗

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
welcome to the site ahh you are aware that your going to have to be the one who teaches the kids to be nice and gentle to and with the cat?(not sure how old the kids you refer to are but the yanked/ pulled tails/smacking that lil kids do not knowing yet to have a gentle hand. usually gets the biting clawing as a result if not just running away by the cat. i only bring this up cause you mentioned cat needs to be friendly and great with kids.best of luck to you

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome, and we will look forward to welcoming your cat when the right cat finds you! it could be any time, it could be anywhere, but it will come! Until then, ENJOY!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Are you locked down to the point that you are unable to look at cats online and talk with shelter staff, and then meet in a masked safe location?

In any case,
all I have are this forum and football.
This is ok, your patience will be rewarded (Go Broncos!!)

Just in case you haven't seen these yet, and also for any other readers and lurkers;

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked at cats online and visited two shelters when their mask policies were downgraded from required to recommended. Now masks are required again, even for fully vaccinated people because of the Delta variant. I have no problem wearing a mask at other places, but the last place I want to wear one is at an animal shelter.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista passed away last year. I don't expect we will go back to a pre-pandemic normal. But between access restrictions to shelters and vets, food shortages, still haven't returned to the office, and maybe a couple other concerns, I am waiting this out for a better "new normal" than this. I'm not anticipating to adopt anytime before the new year. I've missed going home for Thanksgiving for the last several years do to senior cat care responsibilities. I follow a lot of fosters on Instagram. But I have intentionally chosen not to follow any nearby until I'm ready to adopt again.

Here is one that I do follow:
Login • Instagram

I know Florida is a big state. Maybe she can help you find a foster closer to you if she's not anywhere near you. She primarily fosters kittens. But often fosters will socialize friendly stray adult cats too. I don't know my Krista's back story. But I adopted her from the shelter at two years old and she was the sweetest, friendliest cat. She was the cat you're looking for and the cat I know I could never replace. 😻 🌈

I know there will be another cat ready for me when I'm ready for him/her.