Cat lost sense of smell after dental surgery

rebelnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, looking for some advice. Our cat (7yrs old) was diagnosed with FORL (Feline Tooth Resorption) and we had to remove half of his teeth. The surgery was done under anesthesia last Friday. He has woken up without any problems but the scary thing is that he's not eating at all.

As the surgery was done exactly 72 hours ago we've been back to vet every single day since so he can get infusion so he doesn't dry out. We found out that apparently he lost his sense of smell. We tried putting vinegar, coffee, lemon in front of him and would expect normally that he would go away or at least turn his head away but he does nothing.

Also, in terms of food he keeps going back to his plate and tries to sense the smell of the food that we put in front of him but nothing. I know we're only 72 hours past the initial surgery but we are pretty desperate what is going to happen. The doc said he never saw anything like this that after anesthesia a cat would lost his smell.

Has anyone experienced this by any chance?

Thanks

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have not heard of this from dental surgery, but sometimes it happens from a URI, because of congestion. And cats can get URI's from being at the Vet! Is it possible that's what he's suffering from? Anyway, maybe there is something in this article that might help get him back to eating: A Happy Cat Has A Working Nose - Catwatch Newsletter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebelnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. He had a blood test after the surgery and all parameters were okay. I wonder if the test was measured against URI or if its even possible the conduct a blood test like that.

I'll speak with the doc today but this is now the fourth consecutive days that he's not eating :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't explain the possible connection between his teeth removal and his sense of smell, but wondered if you take some food on your finger or something like a popsicle stick/tongue depressor and place food on his mouth causing him to lick it if that might entice him to eat based on flavor rather than smell?

rebelnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I did that on the second day after the surgery (placed very small portions of fish on my finger) and he was licking it indeed. I tried the same the other day (3rd day) but had no luck.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
placed very small portions of fish on my finger) and he was licking it indeed.
I guess I was meaning for you to actually wipe the food onto his mouth so he has to lick it off - not just offering him your finger. Maybe it sounds mean to do that, but I was just hoping the taste when he licks it off his mouth might be a way to get him to eat some more.

Is he drinking water on his own at all? If he is, you can try adding some broth to the water - or the 'juice' from tuna canned in water - just another way to introduce a flavor to him without him having to rely on his sense of smell to be reintroduced to some sort of food. If it were to work, then you could mix a bit of food to the water and make a slurry that he could lap up. Just something else to try.

Check with the vet about when it will be time for a feeding tube, he can't go too much longer without actual food.

rebelnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I get it now! We are going back to the vet again tonight will ask how long can we continue with infusion..and when is the right time to switch to feeding tube (Thanks for the tuna juice tip I already poured that into his bowl as I read it from others as well from this forum)

rebelnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I get it now! We are going back to the vet again tonight will ask how long can we continue with infusion..and when is the right time to switch to feeding tube (Thanks for the tuna juice tip I already poured that into his bowl as I read it from others as well from this forum)
Ok good sign he seems to start licking the tuna juice. Maybe he drunk 2-3 spoons but it's a good start compared that he was not even drinking at all.