Cat lost for almost 60 hours

mgetsova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently lost my cat while walking him on a leash 2 days ago in a neighborhood he just moved to. He scurried out of my sight on the other end of our street which is about 0.35 miles from us. I'm so worried about what to do as I instantly put up posters, searched whatever I could of the yards of the houses he was lost around, talked to people, did more searching at night, posted on sites, but the litter box out, got a trap and put my clothes and food and tuna in it, got a camera, went around searching for him several times for hours in the freezing cold and even rubbing myself on things and not showring so I can be extra stinky. Unfortunately, someone 2 miles away thought they had seen my cat and I wasted a whole hour and all my catnip making a path for him from there and rubbing myself other light posts in another neighborhood before she realized it wasn't my cat - not even close. I feel so dumb and have no clue what to do. He is microchipped but I'm scared because I don't know if the shelters around here no-kill like the ones on the other side of the country where I got him + here is supposed to be a big winter storm (with mostly rain and thunder here) tomorrow and it was around or below freezing today. I just have no clue what else to do other than going out and searching again. Does anyone have any similar experiences to offer hope or ideas I haven't already implemented? Oh also, he was never an outdoor cat and hated the leash.

Kitten in Wonderland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Helped a friend find his cat in a residential neighbourhood. He found his kitty about 10 or more days after we put up posters. Dome neighbours we talked to called my friend to say the cat was in their yard.
Best advice I can give:
-keep searching your immediate area again and again, even the spots you've checked multiple times. Don't give up too soon.
-talk to as many neighbours as you can and give them a poser
-contact all shelters in your area and deliver posters to them as well
-try contacting
Missing Animal Response Network

Wish you the best of luck and a quick reunion with your precious boy. 🍀

Last edited by a moderator:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really excellent that he is microchipped.
Some kind person, may have taken him in to their home, and not know about the microchip,...but may contact a Vet place or Shelter soon,...so don't give up hope.

Have you also contacted all the nearest Vet places, and Shelters, pet food stores, grocery stores,...sending them the Posters, or emailing them some photos, too.
Also, placing as many posters or fliers, in the mailboxes, of people in the area that you had last saw him in...and also in areas, that may have been in the direction of your previous home.

Take a look at these two specific threads and Article...for some more ideas:
My cat went missing for 2 days and I’m really sad
Lost Cat
also
Help! My Cat Is Lost! – TheCatSite Articles

Don't know the general area, or country you live in,...but since this is an international cat site,...could you maybe post a photo of him, here, too.
(and just mention the general State or country, nearest city,...if you feel comfortable to do so.)
Never know,...the more people who see the photo of your cat...perhaps it will keep them more aware to look all around their yards, and sheds, and anywhere else he might be hiding, for warmth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mgetsova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's really excellent that he is microchipped.
Some kind person, may have taken him in to their home, and not know about the microchip,...but may contact a Vet place or Shelter soon,...so don't give up hope.

Have you also contacted all the nearest Vet places, and Shelters, pet food stores, grocery stores,...sending them the Posters, or emailing them some photos, too.
Also, placing as many posters or fliers, in the mailboxes, of people in the area that you had last saw him in...and also in areas, that may have been in the direction of your previous home.

Take a look at these two specific threads and Article...for some more ideas:
My cat went missing for 2 days and I’m really sad
Lost Cat
also
Help! My Cat Is Lost! – TheCatSite Articles

Don't know the general area, or country you live in,...but since this is an international cat site,...could you maybe post a photo of him, here, too.
(and just mention the general State or country, nearest city,...if you feel comfortable to do so.)
Never know,...the more people who see the photo of your cat...perhaps it will keep them more aware to look all around their yards, and sheds, and anywhere else he might be hiding, for warmth.

Yep it seems all I have left to do is to continue regular physical searches but here I am unsure how to approach doing them. How often should I search for, for example. Should I go out for say an hour or 2 twice a day (with one search at night)? Should I go closer to the other end of the street or not? Basically, I have no clue how hard to search now and it's starting to feel horrible that I have to stop dedicating all of my time to finding him even though I really want to. I read up on the lost cat statistics and this is the most successful way of making sure he is found and I suppose also of making sure he has a chance to see me or smell me every day and maybe inch closer to home. Also not sure if I should be calling his name out so he knows he's being searched for.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope and pray you find him soon.

Keep doing what you're doing. Don't lose hope. He could be very scared right now and hiding in places just nearby. It is important that his photos are posted out there for everyone to see.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep it seems all I have left to do is to continue regular physical searches but here I am unsure how to approach doing them. How often should I search for, for example. Should I go out for say an hour or 2 twice a day (with one search at night)? Should I go closer to the other end of the street or not? Basically, I have no clue how hard to search now and it's starting to feel horrible that I have to stop dedicating all of my time to finding him even though I really want to. I read up on the lost cat statistics and this is the most successful way of making sure he is found and I suppose also of making sure he has a chance to see me or smell me every day and maybe inch closer to home. Also not sure if I should be calling his name out so he knows he's being searched for.

I'm located in Virginia Beach, VA in the Thalia area with zip code 23452. I'll attach some pictures of him.
I know that cats are very active around here, usually at dusk, and I do see them early morning, too, on occasion....so I would concentrate your search at those times. (our weather is very cold, though, with snow coming...so hopefully the storm you said, is coming there, will not wash away all the Scent paths you created.)

Leave your scent everywhere, like you already did...even bushes, and trees.
If he is strictly indoors only,...he may be very spooked by other cats..and will wait to move...when the other cats are not moving about.

Usually, cats do not want to cross the path...of another cat...when outdoors...and have their own routine, and routes that they follow.
(this was from a bbc episode on cats in a small town with gps trackers on them).
So he might, actually wait, until he does not see any other cats...and then decide to move about.

If there are any creeks, or places with water, ...and parks, or open fields with mice...I would check those areas out, too.

I would do exactly what you said...and go out twice a day...at dawn and dusk...but then...I would also go out at the other times, as well.
If going out at night, with a car...I would have a huge flashlight, so that you can shine, in yards, or bushes, trees, under cars, too,...and see if any cat eyes are reflected back at you.
Please remember to be Safe, and always aware of your surroundings, as well.
(if it's dangerous or sketchy to go at night, then go just during the day)

You did amazing with rubbing your clothes...or even sweat...on to light posts, and poles, signs, and curbs, too.
I didn't even know that was suggested, but read up in the comment section of the above article, that someone had also, gone around, and wore layers of clothing, or else sweated while working out at home, and then rubbed that all over the area.
Another member, in the comment section used wet cat food with added water...and dripped it into the grass around his home.

As for where to start...I think I would just start from where he ran off from...and then make my way back home.
But wherever you start from is okay...even walking out from your home.

I would also call his name,...or whistle, rattle, or use a bell...if he had one...in any of his toys.
See this thread for another idea to try...about using a recording of a mama cat trumpeting to her kittens:
I need a sound recording of mom cat "trumpeting" call for kittens
I think anything is worth a try...when you are walking around.

All the Luck sent your way, and hope that your gorgeous guy...just waltzes on back to his home, tomorrow. :vibes::vibes::caticon:

mgetsova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that cats are very active around here, usually at dusk, and I do see them early morning, too, on occasion....so I would concentrate your search at those times. (our weather is very cold, though, with snow coming...so hopefully the storm you said, is coming there, will not wash away all the Scent paths you created.)

Leave your scent everywhere, like you already did...even bushes, and trees.
If he is strictly indoors only,...he may be very spooked by other cats..and will wait to move...when the other cats are not moving about.

Usually, cats do not want to cross the path...of another cat...when outdoors...and have their own routine, and routes that they follow.
(this was from a bbc episode on cats in a small town with gps trackers on them).
So he might, actually wait, until he does not see any other cats...and then decide to move about.

If there are any creeks, or places with water, ...and parks, or open fields with mice...I would check those areas out, too.

I would do exactly what you said...and go out twice a day...at dawn and dusk...but then...I would also go out at the other times, as well.
If going out at night, with a car...I would have a huge flashlight, so that you can shine, in yards, or bushes, trees, under cars, too,...and see if any cat eyes are reflected back at you.
Please remember to be Safe, and always aware of your surroundings, as well.
(if it's dangerous or sketchy to go at night, then go just during the day)

You did amazing with rubbing your clothes...or even sweat...on to light posts, and poles, signs, and curbs, too.
I didn't even know that was suggested, but read up in the comment section of the above article, that someone had also, gone around, and wore layers of clothing, or else sweated while working out at home, and then rubbed that all over the area.
Another member, in the comment section used wet cat food with added water...and dripped it into the grass around his home.

As for where to start...I think I would just start from where he ran off from...and then make my way back home.
But wherever you start from is okay...even walking out from your home.

I would also call his name,...or whistle, rattle, or use a bell...if he had one...in any of his toys.
See this thread for another idea to try...about using a recording of a mama cat trumpeting to her kittens:
I need a sound recording of mom cat "trumpeting" call for kittens
I think anything is worth a try...when you are walking around.

All the Luck sent your way, and hope that your gorgeous guy...just waltzes on back to his home, tomorrow. :vibes::vibes::caticon:
Thanks! I'm going back out in a bit because he just loves to play at 3AM. I've actually literally been rubbing my butt on light posts to be honest. In broad daylight too.

mgetsova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it bad that the only bright flashlight I have that I've been using to search for him is a strobe light? It's actually the light that I got to use as a laser toy but I am unsure if it might be scaring him.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm going back out in a bit because he just loves to play at 3AM. I've actually literally been rubbing my butt on light posts to be honest. In broad daylight too.
Nothing wrong with the rubbing in broad daylight,...if you can get down low enough, to a cat's height.
Sure, if I saw you out the window, I might think, "hmm, what's that person up to?", but if you moved on,...it wouldn't matter.
(actually now that I know that this is an actual technique to try and get a cat to come back home, by using a person's scent...then I'd be not as surprised, as before I read your thread.)

Maybe using sweaty towels, gym socks, or t-shirts...would be a lot easier, though, to get to ground height.

Wow, you went out late last night.
Please don't overly exhaust yourself, either.
Remember to get good quality sleep, too.
I know that in the first week, or two,...you try to do everything in your power...to search, and hope, ..that he is just nearby hiding.

Is your cat timid, or shy?
Do you think he would go up to people, or follow other cats?

He is very pretty, and very unique in colouring...so I'm thinking that anyone seeing him, will definitely want to feed him, or take him in.
I don't usually see ginger and white bi-colours, or orange and white tabbies...(sorry if I'm describing him wrong, since I really don't know all the proper terms.)
He is gorgeous.

(My cats also get active around 2am ..so I guess yeah...you have to go by the personality of your own cat.
(Mine have the 4-5 am, or 7am, then 2pm, and 4pm-7pm...and 10pm..and 2am....type of alert schedule going on.)
Is it bad that the only bright flashlight I have that I've been using to search for him is a strobe light? It's actually the light that I got to use as a laser toy but I am unsure if it might be scaring him.
Not sure about the strobe lights.
Are they the ones that are extremely bright? Like when you accidentally flash them at yourself, or someone else,..you tend to see red spots.

If it is too bright, then yeah, it might make him turn his eyes away, fast.
Then again, the higher the lumens, of a flashlight,...the greater the distance you can be away...from the subject.
So maybe the one you have is okay to use.
Especially, since you are kind of sweeping it around, and not just keeping it stationary, for too long.

Are there any dollar stores, or walmart, homedepot, near you. They tend to have small flashlights, with 50 lumens...to mid range with 120 or 280 lumens. The cheaper ones, are in the camping section of walmart, and usually only 50 lumens, with 3 AAA batteries...which are probably not bright enough to shine over 10-20 feet.
I would look at the higher lumen ones,...and see if they mention anything about distance. Also, if you don't find them good, then walmart or home depot, usually have a good return policy. (at least here, they do.)

How did it go yesterday night?
Did you see any animals, at all? at the 3 am time?

Oh, and this is the sticky, at the top of this section, ...which also may have other tips, too.
Tips for finding a lost cat
I only noticed it late last night, and I do think you are doing a lot of the things already mentioned.
Only thing, is maybe making some 'neon signs'...and placing them at crossroads...that may help, to get people looking.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go strobing around a neighborhood, people might get mad. Probably best to get an actual flashlight.

Post on the local lost and found pets Facebook pages for your town/neighborhood and every other group between your town/neighborhood and the one you moved from. I've also seen lost pet notices on the rummage sites and the general town news sites.

mgetsova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so I haven't figured out how to do the quotes yet but in reply to cat nap cat nap , for whatever reason the actual flashlights we have at home are less bright yet more expensive which makes me think what one needs is a spotlight which tend to be costly if you get an actual one (ie. one labeled as such).

However, my neighbor/their dog found him! He hadn't moved from the area where I lost him at all and was under a shed that I had previously checked so I guess he must have moved from under their deck which was hard to see under. Now I'm trying to learn what kind of toys dogs like... though I think they like anything? But I feel he needs something fancy for finding my kitty.

mgetsova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so I haven't figured out how to do the quotes yet but in reply to cat nap cat nap , for whatever reason the actual flashlights we have at home are less bright yet more expensive which makes me think what one needs is a spotlight which tend to be costly if you get an actual one (ie. one labeled as such).

However, my neighbor/their dog found him! He hadn't moved from the area where I lost him at all and was under a shed that I had previously checked so I guess he must have moved from under their deck which was hard to see under. Now I'm trying to learn what kind of toys dogs like... though I think they like anything? But I feel he needs something fancy for finding my kitty.
and also W Willowy about the flashlight. It doesn't really strobe too fast - maybe about the speed you'd blink at if you had a blinking competition. But it is a spotlight.

And yeah I should have maybe taken my dirty clothes off and just carried them. cat nap cat nap And thank you for complementing Neutrino he is very handsome indeed imo. Also, thankfully he is totally fine if a bit skinnier.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, I'm glad he was found! Most housecats don't go very far.

Not all dogs like everything so it would be best to ask his owner what a good reward would be. Some dogs prefer food, some have allergies, some like squeaky toys better, some like chewy toys better, etc.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...However, my neighbor/their dog found him! He hadn't moved from the area where I lost him at all and was under a shed that I had previously checked so I guess he must have moved from under their deck which was hard to see under. Now I'm trying to learn what kind of toys dogs like... though I think they like anything? But I feel he needs something fancy for finding my kitty.
...And yeah I should have maybe taken my dirty clothes off and just carried them. cat nap cat nap cat nap cat nap And thank you for complementing Neutrino he is very handsome indeed imo. Also, thankfully he is totally fine if a bit skinnier.
Fantastic!
Omg...I am so happy. :clap::cheerleader::banana1::woo::banana2::banana2::jive::woohoo:
This is so awesome, and like the best news a person can hear.:catrub::)

We have to add this now to the List of things to do when a cat gets lost: Ask neighbour's friendly dog...to help in the Search.
Way to go. :yess:
Way to think...:thumbsup:
I know that dogs can often sniff out other animals,...but wouldn't have thought that a neighbour's dog could do it.
Especially if he didn't grow up with the cat.

That dog is a hero...in my eyes right now. :bluepaw:
And yeah, depending on the dog,...they usually love those rubber Kong toys,
KONG Classic Dog Toy, Large - Chewy.com
Or even these type of 'chuckit' rubber balls:
CHUCKIT! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy, Medium, 2 pack - Chewy.com
(you can usually buy them at any pet store)

I guess it's best to ask the owner/neighbour...what the dog likes.
Depending on the dog, size, age, health,...he might just like you to cook him a couple of pork chops...hahaha.

What a great name for a cat...Neutrino.
Never ever heard of that one, before.
A cat that has unique markings...comes a unique name.

Hey, M mgetsova ,...it might be a good idea, but not right now,...maybe after a while...when Neutrino forgets all about his 'escape artist days', ...to actually place him in a secure cat carrier, and take him around outside the home, and close by in the neighbourhood...so that if he ever does want to 'escape again'...he will be familiar with his surroundings.
(I think I'd only do this, months from now, though. After he's back to his normal self, and healthy weight, and probably after he's well and settled in his new home.)

The other thing you can do, is take some of his litter, or urine,..and spread it around, nearby, ...so he has markings to follow, too.

Hoping, though, that Neutrino, has had enough of his 'staying outside days'...and will be content to just stay and cuddle.
Explain to him, that he's "now grounded indefinitely". :nono::whistle: :lol:

(PS... I'll now ask a mod...to delete the area, zip code, from before,...since Neutrino is at home. YAY!!
You can do it yourself, too. Just by 'flagging the post'...with that little flag beside the bell, at bottom of post.
The mods here, are great.)

PPS. I would really like to know what type of dog, this is? 🤔
And does he live with cats, too?

Last edited:

mgetsova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fantastic!
Omg...I am so happy. :clap::cheerleader::banana1::woo::banana2::banana2::jive::woohoo:
This is so awesome, and like the best news a person can hear.:catrub::)

We have to add this now to the List of things to do when a cat gets lost: Ask neighbour's friendly dog...to help in the Search.
Way to go. :yess:
Way to think...:thumbsup:
I know that dogs can often sniff out other animals,...but wouldn't have thought that a neighbour's dog could do it.
Especially if he didn't grow up with the cat.

That dog is a hero...in my eyes right now. :bluepaw:
And yeah, depending on the dog,...they usually love those rubber Kong toys,
KONG Classic Dog Toy, Large - Chewy.com
Or even these type of 'chuckit' rubber balls:
CHUCKIT! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy, Medium, 2 pack - Chewy.com
(you can usually buy them at any pet store)

I guess it's best to ask the owner/neighbour...what the dog likes.
Depending on the dog, size, age, health,...he might just like you to cook him a couple of pork chops...hahaha.

What a great name for a cat...Neutrino.
Never ever heard of that one, before.
A cat that has unique markings...comes a unique name.

Hey, M mgetsova ,...it might be a good idea, but not right now,...maybe after a while...when Neutrino forgets all about his 'escape artist days', ...to actually place him in a secure cat carrier, and take him around outside the home, and close by in the neighbourhood...so that if he ever does want to 'escape again'...he will be familiar with his surroundings.
(I think I'd only do this, months from now, though. After he's back to his normal self, and healthy weight, and probably after he's well and settled in his new home.)

The other thing you can do, is take some of his litter, or urine,..and spread it around, nearby, ...so he has markings to follow, too.

Hoping, though, that Neutrino, has had enough of his 'staying outside days'...and will be content to just stay and cuddle.
Explain to him, that he's "now grounded indefinitely". :nono::whistle: :lol:

(PS... I'll now ask a mod...to delete the area, zip code, from before,...since Neutrino is at home. YAY!!
You can do it yourself, too. Just by 'flagging the post'...with that little flag beside the bell, at bottom of post.
The mods here, are great.)

PPS. I would really like to know what type of dog, this is? 🤔
And does he live with cats, too?

I didn't actually ask the dog, he just did it himself. I think he's rather large? I only ever saw his head poked put of their window and I forgot to ask them what their names were which is really unfortunate...as is the distinct lack of luxury dog toys on the market.
I should definitely ground Neutrino, I dont think he's going outside again any time soon. Plus we will not be living here permanently, I'm just with my parents right now until I move out to go to grad school or otherwise pretend to be an adult.

I am very happy though! I did discover that he seems to have some frostbite on his paws but it seems it will heal on its own.

PS: Ironically, his name didn't mean anything for the first 3 years of his life but since it's a small, very hard to detect particle it suddenly is very fitting. 😀

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't actually ask the dog, he just did it himself. I think he's rather large?
Lol. Yeah, I kind of worded the 'asking the neighbourhood dog to help out' part...a little bit strangely. :lol:
IF you had asked the dog directly, and he helped,...then I would say his name is "Lassie". :crackup:
(It's an old tv show, before your time, I think. I'm not sure, since I watched it in re-runs, too.)

Ah, well, I will forgive you for not knowing what type of dog he is...since we are on a Cat Site, too.
Saying that he looks rather large...does narrow it down, a bit though,...not much, but a little bit.:flail::flail::crackup:
Ahhhh, you are cracking me up, now. :blush:
I'm just giving you a hard time,...all in fun. :wink:
I'm just happy that your Neutrino is home. :thumbsup:
I only ever saw his head poked put of their window and I forgot to ask them what their names were which is really unfortunate...as is the distinct lack of luxury dog toys on the market.
Makes sense, if you only saw the dog's head.
For some reason, I first thought, that you went walking around the area,...with the neighbour,...and their dog.
(Like another tv show, called Hudson and Rex.)
But then I realized, that it might have just been a neighbour, that phoned you, and said that their dog found your cat.
Whatever happened,...the main thing is that Neutrino is home.:)

" distinct lack of luxury dog toys on the market"
Hmmm....Let's not go all wild...and try and find the perfect dog toy.
He's a dog,...he will probably like whatever,...and if he does not like it,...he will bury it. :hide:
Which does not mean he hates it,...but rather he might just want to save it for later. :think: :idea:
I should definitely ground Neutrino, I dont think he's going outside again any time soon. Plus we will not be living here permanently, I'm just with my parents right now until I move out to go to grad school or otherwise pretend to be an adult.
Ohhh,...you're cracking me up laughing again,...for the "or otherwise pretend to be an adult" part. :spew::lol: :crackup:
Yeah, I'm just going to tell you to enjoy the years, and especially school, too.
Good Luck in your studies. :goodluck:
Wait to pretend to be an adult, until you reach your 30s, 40s, 50s. :lol: :cloud9:
I am very happy though! I did discover that he seems to have some frostbite on his paws but it seems it will heal on its own.
If you notice any blisters, or the frostbite looking bad, then it's best to take him in to your Vet for advice or fluids, pain meds.
But if you apply warm compress,...not hot, but warm,..then it may help to get the circulation back into his paw pads.
I read that the ear tips get the frostbite, too, so make sure to check those, as well.
Frostbite in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
PS: Ironically, his name didn't mean anything for the first 3 years of his life but since it's a small, very hard to detect particle it suddenly is very fitting.😀
."..since it's a small, very hard to detect particle"
Yup, definitely a fitting name. :agree:
(had to look up 'neutrino.'.. (Not the wikipedia page, though,...that page had to be written by some scientists. :stars:)
This one had an interesting video:
What’s a neutrino? | All Things Neutrino

PS....Tell Neutrino, that basically cats have nine lives.
And that now, he might have just used up a couple of them,..So he has to remember to spread out all the ones he has left. :gingercat:
PPS. Maybe give your Neutrino...another middle name, too,...just to balance out,...the 'hard to detect part'. :catrub::clover: 🤔

Last edited: