Cat Lost Canine Tooth

ryannfritz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat, Potato, lost her canine tooth last night. I called the vet to get an antibiotic to prevent infection and she is telling me that she will have to have dental surgery. Her plan is to create a flap to cover up the hole left behind from the tooth since her roots came out when the tooth fell out. Has anyone else had experience with this?
Thank you in advance for the help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I haven't had direct experience with this, just regular feline dental work. But wow, the roots came out? Has she been in to the vet recently to have her teeth and mouth looked at?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryannfritz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
0D3076E8-9FEB-4B8F-8E23-18B83D82AA5E.jpeg

This is the tooth that I found the brown part is what was up in her gums I believe. She was just at the vet a month or so ago and they didn’t find anything wrong with her teeth! She likes to rub her face really hard on things so we’re assuming she knocked it loose because it was so big it stuck out the side of her mouth at all times. Does the needing surgery to have the hole closed sound normal?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She was just at the vet a month or so ago and they didn’t find anything wrong with her teeth!
You'd be surprised at how many regular vets have no clue on identifying basic dental issues. It's not a subject taught in depth in vet school.

She likes to rub her face really hard on things so we’re assuming she knocked it loose because it was so big it stuck out the side of her mouth at all times. Does the needing surgery to have the hole closed sound normal?
Most likely the tooth was bad to begin with and just fell out while the cat was face rubbing or something.

The hole in the gum needs to be closed to prevent further dental issues and infection. A veterinary dentist would be best to address any other dental issues the cat has.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check and see if the whole is bleeding or any pus or discolored discharge
Is she eating normally

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gum tissue and oral tissues heal amazingly fast
If it closed up itself