Cat Lost A Pound, Should I Worry?

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, new here.
So my girl cici is 6 years old and has a pretty extensive history in going to the vet (since about 2 years ago). Here's a little bit of a background. She has bladder stones and a small stone in the ureter (which urine can still pass around) which looks like it has caused some kidney damage judging by an X-ray, but no sign of that on bloodwork or urinalysis. Fast forward to now and that seems to be under control right now as she is on Hill's c/d canned food which has helped tremendously, the stones seem to be gradually lessening and the stone in the ureter appears to be breaking down. During her routine bloodwork 3 months back everything was fine except her ALT liver enzyme came back SLIGHTLY elevated, which never has happened. We agreed to check a few months later cause it was possible it was a fluke, but now 3 months later the level is still very slightly elevated at 141 (I believe up to 100 is the norm). During a recent checkup we also noticed she had lost about a pound (she was 13.6 lbs in March and now in June she's at 12.3 I believe). Her weight has always been known to fluctuate a bit between 12 and 13 lbs, so my question is, is this cause for concern? She usually hangs out around the 12 1/2 lb most frequently and she seems fine otherwise. She has some dental issues which are under control at the moment, and some days she's not crazy about her prescription food, but other than that she seems a ok. The doctor recommended some Denamarin for liver support and didn't seem too alarmed at the weight loss (he looked back into her chart and noticed the fluctuation over the months/years). He said obviously if she continues to drop weight that would be a real cause for concern, so I guess when we recheck her ALT in about 2 months we can see where we're at with her weight, unless anything else changes. Sorry for the novel, I'm just hoping this is nothing to be too alarmed about, and would love to not be constantly in a state of worry for the next 2 months! Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
A pound seems like a lot to me in three months. Have you changed her food or noticed a difference in her eating habit? At my cat's last full exam in January some of her liver levels were slightly elevated and the vet now has her on Denamarin and B-12 shots. We started the shots with every two weeks and then did blood work where all the levels had returned to normal, so we bumped it out to every three weeks. After the first visit after three weeks, she lost 3-4 oz and they had me go back to 2 weeks. We've now been back to every three weeks for quite a while as she only has been fluctuating by a few ounces every visit.

Having said that, do you trust your vet? If you do, then go with what he says. The Denamarin may help put some weight back on her and that may be what he is waiting to see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A pound seems like a lot to me in three months. Have you changed her food or noticed a difference in her eating habit? At my cat's last full exam in January some of her liver levels were slightly elevated and the vet now has her on Denamarin and B-12 shots. We started the shots with every two weeks and then did blood work where all the levels had returned to normal, so we bumped it out to every three weeks. After the first visit after three weeks, she lost 3-4 oz and they had me go back to 2 weeks. We've now been back to every three weeks for quite a while as she only has been fluctuating by a few ounces every visit.

Having said that, do you trust your vet? If you do, then go with what he says. The Denamarin may help put some weight back on her and that may be what he is waiting to see.
Thank you so much for your reply! It does seem like a lot, doesn't it? I should add that anything above 13 lbs is definitely on the heavier side for her and somewhere within the 12 pound range is her usual norm (maybe 12.6?).. so maybe she was just eating more food and treats 3 months back? I sometimes give her dry c/d in the middle of the day whenever she's hungry, but I feel like I've definitely tapered off giving it to her as much. I also switched to a better treat from the temptations she used to get before. I've now been giving her the Wellness brand kittles as a treat instead. I'm wondering if I should just switch to her dry food in place of treats instead. I've also been engaging her in play a bit more with her little mouse toy, probably a few times a week now. She loves chasing it around. The only thing a noticed maybe about 3-4 weeks ago was that if she ate her food too fast in the morning (after crying at me to feed her for some time) she would throw it up/regurgitate it immediately within about 30 mins of downing it- this would maybe happen like 2 times a week for about 2 weeks, but then she would still have an appetite. That has since subsided and I just attributed it to excess stomach acid and her eating too quickly. Having said that, I definitely trust my vet, been taking her and my dog all their lives, as well as a previous family dog of ours (who lived to be 15 1/2 years old and has since passed away a while back). I feel he has never steered us wrong and I feel comfortable going there as he knows her history and has always offered great advice. What he's thinking is that if the values don't correct in a couple of months time we can go ahead and check for a few things such as a gastro problem/IBD or pancreatitis. He didn't seem to think it was urgent at this time because the alt value is only slightly raised and she's not showing any other symptoms. He never mentioned b12 shots. I should add that I'm on the more anxious side, and tend to worry about her a lot given her history, but I just want to be proactive and make sure this isn't something that I'm going to regret not checking into sooner. Thanks again!

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any more helpful advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated for those who have had similar experiences or are knowledgeable with this sort of thing :)

Also wanted to add in that oftentimes she doesn't eat all of her food right away, and usually always leaves a little bit in the dish by the end of her feeding. She kind of likes to come back to it and eat little bits at a time. This of course happens on and off ever since she was put on the c/d about 2 years back. Which is pretty much the norm for her. If it's a treat she will of course devour it. My guess is she's not crazy about the food but just eats it anyway. Also it's probably a safe assumption that her dental issues might be causing some discomfort as well. There is always redness on the gums toward the back of the mouth, mainly where she had an extraction last year, but dr said they seem to be in pretty good shape/under control and there was no need to rush into getting a dental done again.

It's just kind of hard for me to figure out if any of these things are related to one another or separate incidents, but I'm most concerned about her weight loss at the moment. Please put this worried mama's nerves at ease (or even give some insight if any of you think this is something I should be overly concerned about). Thanks everyone!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! You've come to the right place for support, we are glad you are here. :wave3:

The weight loss does seem to be quite a bit in a short time; understandable you would worry. Now having said that I also read that you have a vet that you trust and you've been in contact with them, regarding this, which is awesome.

Since your kitty's only "symptom" that is troubling at the moment is weight loss and she seems to be eating, playing and I'm assuming using her litter box normally, I would feel confident in following what your vet has suggested at this time. I'm impressed that your vet offered the liver support as that is what is so worrisome about rapid weight loss in cats.

IMO, you are an excellent cat guardian and you won't hesitate to get her the care she needs if things change.

Hugs and support to you and your kitty!
:grouphug2: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! You've come to the right place for support, we are glad you are here. :wave3:

The weight loss does seem to be quite a bit in a short time; understandable you would worry. Now having said that I also read that you have a vet that you trust and you've been in contact with them, regarding this, which is awesome.

Since your kitty's only "symptom" that is troubling at the moment is weight loss and she seems to be eating, playing and I'm assuming using her litter box normally, I would feel confident in following what your vet has suggested at this time. I'm impressed that your vet offered the liver support as that is what is so worrisome about rapid weight loss in cats.

IMO, you are an excellent cat guardian and you won't hesitate to get her the care she needs if things change.

Hugs and support to you and your kitty!
:grouphug2: :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Hi! Thanks so much for your kind and reassuring words!! Yes, the vet did mention that obviously we will have to watch for if the weight loss becomes a trend, in which case it'd be safe to assume that something else may be going on. Being that she's been at this exact weight before previously, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if she comes back up in weight, stays the same, or continues a decline unless other symptoms arise before that. I'm gonna try to give her a bit more dry food in addition to the half a can 2x a day that she gets (5.5 oz can) and see if that evens things out a bit. She's a bit of a chunker, although large framed, so she is by no means underweight (more like a bit overweight), but still, for her to have lost that much in a short time is definitely concerning to a degree.
The only other indicator that something is going on is the ALT of 141 of course - all other liver values are normal. The rest of her habits are definitely normal (for her, at least). Since being diagnosed with bladder stones she pees outside the litter box periodically, but we have a pee pad set up right outside the box at all times, and she never pees anywhere else that would be considered inappropriate. The vet is aware of this and says that's quite normal for kitties with bladder stones.
The Denamarin is proving to be a bit of a challenge, I opted to try the chewable tab which is formulated for dogs taste buds but safe for cats, thinking I'd be able to crush it and hide it in a bite of food or tuna or syringe it with water. Not the case at all, she wants nothing to do with it! Lol. The vet told me the regular pills are quite large.. I'm hesitant to buy them but really have no other option. He said worst case we can try the "wait and see" approach but I really want to try my best to get this supplement in her. If you or anyone else has experience with Denamarin for cats, do you find them hard to give, particularly for cats that are difficult to medicate? Does anyone else know if Denasyl is smaller or the same size? Would be willing to try that as well if it's easier to administer. I suppose I can always post a separate thread in regard to that. Again, thanks so much for the advice! I really appreciate it! Sorry for my ramble, just trying to make sure I'm being thorough enough to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with. So glad to be a new member of this awesome site!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The Denamarin pills are big and my cat isn't a fan of them at all. Another member here suggested I buy Whisker Lickings moist treats and mold one around the pill and give it to her. That worked for a while, then she started eating the treat and spitting out the pill. What I've been doing lately is splitting the pill in half and putting it in one of the treats and hiding both pieces in a tiny amount of her favorite food. I give it to her first thing in the morning and it's the only time now I give her this food. It's been working OK most of the time, but sometimes she leaves me an empty bowl with a piece of pill in it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's a little bit overweight still at 12.3, then I might be counting my blessings rather than worrying over the weight loss. She may be self-regulating her weight, which would be a good thing. Perhaps you've been giving her fewer treats without really noticing?

Before adding more food right now, I would buy a scale and not wait 2 months to check her weight. My pets get a Sunday weigh-in because I have one cat on a diet, one growing kitten, and one dog whose weight is about right.

If your cat's weight dropped suddenly, it is cause for concern. If she steadily lost the weight over 3 months, then it's good. More frequent weight tracking might give you some peace of mind, or alert you sooner if there is trouble.

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Denamarin pills are big and my cat isn't a fan of them at all. Another member here suggested I buy Whisker Lickings moist treats and mold one around the pill and give it to her. That worked for a while, then she started eating the treat and spitting out the pill. What I've been doing lately is splitting the pill in half and putting it in one of the treats and hiding both pieces in a tiny amount of her favorite food. I give it to her first thing in the morning and it's the only time now I give her this food. It's been working OK most of the time, but sometimes she leaves me an empty bowl with a piece of pill in it.
Yep, sounds like something Cici would do! Whisker Lickin's were the exact treats I used, but the pill was quite small. I guess I could give that a go and see what happens. Is it safe to break the pill in half?

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she's a little bit overweight still at 12.3, then I might be counting my blessings rather than worrying over the weight loss. She may be self-regulating her weight, which would be a good thing. Perhaps you've been giving her fewer treats without really noticing?

Before adding more food right now, I would buy a scale and not wait 2 months to check her weight. My pets get a Sunday weigh-in because I have one cat on a diet, one growing kitten, and one dog whose weight is about right.

If your cat's weight dropped suddenly, it is cause for concern. If she steadily lost the weight over 3 months, then it's good. More frequent weight tracking might give you some peace of mind, or alert you sooner if there is trouble.
Thanks for the advice! She is definitely a big girl and has a good amount of belly hang, always has. And yea your right, she definitely could stand to lose a bit of weight, especially from her previous 13.6 lbs. I was most troubled by the short period of time. Assuming she lost the weight gradually, do you think that's cause for concern? The baby scale is a great idea and would definitely put my mind at ease if it's nothing! Thank you :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming she lost the weight gradually, do you think that's cause for concern? :)
Slow gradual weight loss is a great thing. The concern is that you didn't intentionally have her on a diet to lose weight. If she was consistently eating the same number of calories every day over the three months, the weight loss is a concern. If she was eating "more or less" food (including treats) over that period, then she may have self-regulating her calories downward.

Hard to tell without having more frequent numbers. You don't know when or how quickly/slowly she lost the weight. For now, you can't really worry too much about the past. She seems happy and healthy right now, yes? So that's good. :)

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Slow gradual weight loss is a great thing. The concern is that you didn't intentionally have her on a diet to lose weight. If she was consistently eating the same number of calories every day over the three months, the weight loss is a concern. If she was eating "more or less" food (including treats) over that period, then she may have self-regulating her calories downward.

Hard to tell without having more frequent numbers. You don't know when or how quickly/slowly she lost the weight. For now, you can't really worry too much about the past. She seems happy and healthy right now, yes? So that's good. :)
You make a very good point! I actually just placed an order for a scale so I can keep track of her weight more frequently. Thanks so much. And yes, nothing out of the ordinary for her going on at the moment, but I will continue to monitor her and hope that nothing else changes :)

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to add this in, which may be helpful to some pet parents! I just got off the phone with the helpful customer service rep at nutramax and she told me that the pills can indeed be halved or split but must be given immediately afterwards to insure the integrity/potency of the ingredients. The Denamarin tablets are 8.2mm diameter x 5.2 mm high, so not incredibly large, but not tiny either. Denosyl is also the exact same size, so I guess I'm gonna give the Denamarin a go (halving them and hiding in treats if need be). I'll have to update here and let you know how it goes!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That's helpful! Yes, I did split the pill once the night before and the next morning it almost seemed mushy. I actually give her an extra few treats without the pill in them at the same time to try to trick her more. :lol:

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
AbbysMom AbbysMom
Lol yep, that's exactly what I use to do with a previous prescription. A few treats without the pill and then the one with the pill. Worked pretty well so really hoping it works out this time! She's a smart one and is pretty wise to my tricks :lol: However, now that I know they can be safely broken that eases the worry of how large the pill is. Wish me luck!

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! So I got the scale today and of course first thing I did was try it out. It's a normal digital scale that has a "tare" setting for infants and pets. My fiancé and I both tried it out with Cici and both times it said she was 12.2 lbs. Seems pretty accurate. Of course my nervous mind automatically jumped to conclusions in thinking that she had lost 1/10th of a pound since Thursday (she was 12.3 lbs at the vet).. but I guess I should keep in mind that they were two entirely different scales and prone to small fluctuations, right? Also a side not, when I weighed her in the bathroom (which she never goes in and was a little uneasy about) her anal glands expressed a bit onto my shirt when I was holding her. Is this normal for cats when they're scared or uncomfortable? Now come to think of it there have been a few instances fairly recently when a bit of anal gland substance ended up on our bed, but I thought it may have been the dog at the time. Now I'm wondering if it might have been her? Ugh. I really don't want to take her back to the vet again because she hates going in the car and I feel like I'm just being an over worried mom once again. She seems perfectly happy and content at the moment. Any thoughts on this? The Denamarin just came in the mail today so wish me luck with that as well!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that you bought the scale so that you could worry less, not worry more. :blush: 1/10th of one pound is 1.6 ounces and that could easily be from being weighed before/after one poop, or before/after one meal, or before/after differences in a day's water consumption.

Think about your own weight fluctuations for comparison. I know my weight goes up or down by 3 pounds on each side of an "equilibrium" pendulum. I don't get concerned unless my weight swings more than 3 pounds without a reverse toward the middle. With regular weight tracking, you'll find Cici has some "swing", but you shouldn't be concerned unless she is swinging several ounces too far in one direction.

The anal gland thing is peculiar. :confused2: Can't say that I've ever had a cat or dog "leak" on me. Perhaps someone else can help with any experience they've had.

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Remember that you bought the scale so that you could worry less, not worry more. :blush: 1/10th of one pound is 1.6 ounces and that could easily be from being weighed before/after one poop, or before/after one meal, or before/after differences in a day's water consumption.

Think about your own weight fluctuations for comparison. I know my weight goes up or down by 3 pounds on each side of an "equilibrium" pendulum. I don't get concerned unless my weight swings more than 3 pounds without a reverse toward the middle. With regular weight tracking, you'll find Cici has some "swing", but you shouldn't be concerned unless she is swinging several ounces too far in one direction.

The anal gland thing is peculiar. :confused2: Can't say that I've ever had a cat or dog "leak" on me. Perhaps someone else can help with any experience they've had.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease a bit! She did poo and pee in the carrier on the way home from the vet the other day after her checkup (as she does from time to time on the way to/from the vet- she's known for peeing in the carrier literally every time), so that could definitely have made up for the extra 1/10 lb. I'm a natural worrier, especially when it comes to Cici due to her medical history. She finally seemed to be at really a good place health wise for a while and then this whole ALT elevation began and now I'm back to worrying again :ohwell: Thank you for the reassurance though, I'll try not to drive myself insane and hold off on weighing her every single day. How often do you think is sufficient for regular weigh ins?

I have heard that cats can excrete a bit of their glands when they're excited or scared so I'm thinking it was just that? I know my moms cat did it to me once a few years ago, so maybe I just have bad luck with being in the line of fire :lol: lol. I don't believe it to be related but I guess I can bring it up to the doctor if it continues. If anyone's else's cat has done this please do chime in!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that everyone should weight their pets once a month as an early alert to potential health issues. Twice a month since you are concerned about whether she is consistently losing weight. I weigh my cats and dog every Sunday, because I'm compulsive with number crunching...and because I have a scale so I can compulsively weigh them too often. :biggrin:

I'm actually a big worrier too. We worriers are good at telling other worriers not to worry...because we all know in our heart of hearts that worrying doesn't help anything one darned bit. :hugs:

Cici'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that everyone should weight their pets once a month as an early alert to potential health issues. Twice a month since you are concerned about whether she is consistently losing weight. I weigh my cats and dog every Sunday, because I'm compulsive with number crunching...and because I have a scale so I can compulsively weigh them too often. :biggrin:

I'm actually a big worrier too. We worriers are good at telling other worriers not to worry...because we all know in our heart of hearts that worrying doesn't help anything one darned bit. :hugs:
Lol! Ain't that the truth! I feel like if I'm not worried about her, I'm worried about something else, and if I'm not worried about something else, well then things are pretty dang great! Worrying never does me any good except for wasting time, and I'm sure if anything significant pops up with her I'll be the first to notice it, so might as well not worry too much in the meantime, right? I'll probably do once a week weigh ins for now, but I admit it's gonna be pretty darn tempting not to do it sooner, especially now that I have a shiny new scale ;) Thanks so much!