Cat Losing Whiskers? Is it normal?

LittleRiceBall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all! I've found some whiskers here and there over the past month from my kitty, Henry. I've been finding about 2-3 a week, and to me it does look like there's less on his face. I'm not sure if this should be a concern, or if this is a normal amount of whisker loss?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just curious, how old is this cat and do you have any other cats? First off, whiskers are like any other hair (on a cat or a person), they fall out and are replaced frequently, whether or not you even realize it. Secondly, a number of members have brought this up over time, and it would seem that they have found that another cat is biting them off - either in play or while grooming. If you don't have another cat, just keep an eye on the loss and regeneration to see if it escalates or stays about the same. If it gets worse, you could mention it to the vet to see what they say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleRiceBall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Just curious, how old is this cat and do you have any other cats? First off, whiskers are like any other hair (on a cat or a person), they fall out and are replaced frequently, whether or not you even realize it. Secondly, a number of members have brought this up over time, and it would seem that they have found that another cat is biting them off - either in play or while grooming. If you don't have another cat, just keep an eye on the loss and regeneration to see if it escalates or stays about the same. If it gets worse, you could mention it to the vet to see what they say.
Hi! My kitty is about 8 months old. He doesn't interact with any other cats, tho he does seem to scratch at his face more often than usual. He's been to the vet many a time and he's been cleared for ear mites, fleas, etc, anything that would cause itching like that. I'm starting to think it might be a food allergy or something, but I'm not for sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleRiceBall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem is is that I've already tried that :( he had a really rough time about a month ago and had to be hospitalized because of what turned out to be a bacterial intestinal infection (it was super scary!) Since then, he's been eating prescription hills sensitive stomach and skin wet food. I used to feed him Solid Gold Indigo Moon mixed in with that, but he suddenly stopped liking that so I gradually integrated Hills science diet grain free sensitive stomach and skin (the salmon flavor). I'm starting to think it's an issue with chicken, but not for sure.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I flagged that double-post for the site IT folks - sometimes the system gets a bit wonky...
Here's hoping your change to the salmon flavor helps - your baby is so lucky to have you :heartshape:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! My kitty is about 8 months old. He doesn't interact with any other cats, tho he does seem to scratch at his face more often than usual. He's been to the vet many a time and he's been cleared for ear mites, fleas, etc, anything that would cause itching like that. I'm starting to think it might be a food allergy or something, but I'm not for sure!
Hello! Even if the vet cleared him of ear mites & fleas, did you consider the possibility of trying a flea and/or ectoparasite preventative? Even with an indoor kitty, it is possible to get a variety of mites, and it can take just one flea that hitches a ride on your clothes or shoes as you come in or out of the house, to set up an indoor "settlement" of fleas.

I am not sure how recently your kitty was removed from his litter mates, but sometimes fleas or parasites can go through a few life cycles without our being aware that our cat(s) or kitten(s) may have "caught" them some months ago from their litter mates (or other cats if from a shelter or rescue, etc.). Some cats might not show any symptoms of certain mites (no itching or hair loss, et cetera) while others can really react to the fleas or mites.

Also, there are a huge variety of mites that can plague a kitty. Finding the little buggers on your cat can be difficult, even for vets! Again, these microscopic critters go through stages in their life cycles, plus they also may just not be in the right location on your kitty when the vet tests for the mites... it can often help to test frequently, in the hopes of finding any mites.

My kitty was plagued by certain mites for a while, and she actually did lose more whiskers than was normal for her. I found several whiskers, almost every other day. So, I would definitely keep that in mind! It just depends on what you "know" is normal loss of whiskers for your particular kitty. The mites that plagued my cat liked to hang out around her face, neck, whiskers, eyes, ears.

edited to add: I just read that your dear kitty was just hospitalized, hope he is better soon! One other idea, though, is that sometimes cats can unfortunately pick up mites or fleas while at a vet or hospital -- here's hoping that didn't happen!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he have watery eyes, a lot of hair loss anywhere else, fragile nails, or bad breath? These, along with unusual loss of whiskers, can be signs of a vitamin deficiency. Maybe some of his diet is deficient in terms of what he needs for his body. Is he pooping normally? Did he have stool issues with the intestinal infection? Sometimes bacterial infections can play a role with the whiskers, but if he wasn't losing his whiskers when he had the intestinal issue, it would seem weird that he would start now. Also, I have heard metabolic issues can affect whisker loss/re-growth. Just some stuff to talk to the vet about to see if they could test for any of the above?