Cat Losing Weight/vomiting/diarrhea..advice Please

rayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys!
I am beside myself and need some advice.
2 weeks ago vet said she suspected IBD and possibly hyperthyroid, because of weight loss and also he was having tummy gurgles, vomiting more than he should, loose stools and all his previous history of vet visits and symptoms. He was in for a different issue altogether ( fight with a tree rat that resulted in a bite) he wasn't really feeling bad. They wanted to do an ultrasound and blood work that day but he got so fractious they couldn't do it, handed us some more gabapentin so we could sedate him for his next visit and scheduled us to come in 1/11, tomorrow.

At the time he was vomiting about once a day (food) Thats about the time I switched him to Natures Variety Instinct Rabbit Medallions, which he was doing great on...for about 10 days...Now its another story all together...he's having liquid poo, it sounds like he is forcing/straining, because its coming out at high speed ( sorry...gross I know ), The vomiting has slowed down (1-2 times a day ) and seems to be more yellowy bile and is mainly after he goes poo. He's appetite is off, he doesnt even want the boiled chicken now
:( and I'm getting really worried. He is drinking normally, he did have a couple bites of chicken last night after several tries. He goes to the vet tomorrow morning, but i can tell he is feeling uncomfortable/sick and i just want him to feel better...any suggestions that i can try here at home to make him feel better until tomorrow?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may actually be a little blocked. Ask you vet to check for that. Sometimes when there is a blockage in the gut, the poop builds up behind it, liquifies, and squirts out around the blockage, which causes what you are describing. Now, there are other causes, but that is one.

And don't every worry about describing "gross" symptoms to us. We need all the information that we can get to help you. "Gross" has no place in situations like this. We simply want to help the cat.

@artiemom, you know as much as anyone here about IBD, can you give us some tech tips?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An update on Bubba~he's had two vet visits since my last post
The first visit after a list of symptoms and examination, the vet took blood and prepared us for the worst, letting us know it looked very much like intestinal cancer ( or very severe IBD ). He had dropped for his normal lean 9lbs to 5.4lbs! He went over different treatment options-and different tests-biopsy vs scope etc. Gave him a Cerenia shot, a sub-q fluid and sent us home with Cerenia, Mirtazapine and some Royal Canin Recovery RS in hopes we could get some food in him. Within 45 minutes he was "hungry" and i mean HUUUUNGRY!...The vet had instructed me to wait about 2 hours before feeding him to let the Cerania kick in. I ended up calling the vet and they did ok to feed him very small amounts and to wait to see if he held it down. He did!

Over the weekend his appetite continued to grow ( thanks to the daily Cerenia ) and he was up to a full 5.8oz can a day.
I had to stop by the vet office to pick up more! when i did, his bloodwork/urine happened to be done so they reviewed it with me. The vet is now pretty certain it is not cancer, T4 is in the grey area, possible pancreatitis ( but need to do more testing), and most importantly his kidney function is low and it looks like he has a very bad UTI that has gone to the kidneys. He asked us to come back in so the can do a urine test with sensitivity to see what kind of bacteria we are dealing with so we get him on the right antibiotic. His stool is pretty soft but formed and there has been no vomit.

We went in yesterday for his urine test and he has already gained a bit of weight from 5.4lbs to 6.2lbs. and we now have to do Sub-q at home daily to try and help the kidneys until we can get the infection under control, we will then retest kidney function and then we can deal with the other issues he has going on. He also started us on Clavamox but explained we may need to switch up the antibiotic once the test comes back. He is now eating roughly 2- 5.8 oz cans of the recovery rs daily. I am having some floriforta delivered today to help with his tummy on the antibiotics.

Whats strange is he has had UTI's before and he had symptoms galore...yowling, constantly trying to pee in and out of the litterbox, unable to produce and blood in the urine...requiring an er vet visit, he has had none of those.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok...OK!!! Better. Still some things to sort out, but SO MUCH BETTER! Love the weight gain. Hek had pancreatitis (that's what brought me here, actually) a couple of years back. She's never had another attack, so keep that in mind. Let us know what the tests say!