Cat losing hair and major dandruff

audra.bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my boyfriends cat, sebastian. he is about 2 years old and has never experienced this kind of skin thing before. a couple weeks ago he had a couple patches of hair loss, so i started aggressively treating him for ringworm (keto shampoo baths, prescribed topical cream every single day). today, he started shedding massive flakes of skin, and he has not been responding to treatment. i’ve dealt with cat ringworm before and usually it’s gone in a couple weeks, or at least healing, but this is just continuously getting worse. i’m going to take him to the vet, but if anyone has experienced anything like this before please let me know what it could possibly be! there is patches all over his ears and a big patch on his left shoulder. the only change i can think of is he got a new flea collar around the same time, but the area around his neck where the collar sits is completely fine.

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . Remove the collar.

Does your boyfriend have indoor/outdoor animals that puts his cat at risk for fleas? There are things the vet can provide. Of it's an indoor only cat the risk of fleas is minimal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

audra.bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . Remove the collar.

Does your boyfriend have indoor/outdoor animals that puts his cat at risk for fleas? There are things the vet can provide. Of it's an indoor only cat the risk of fleas is minimal.
We just finished dealing with a massive flea infestation that was caused by him letting his cats outside without any protection. i’m scared that if we take the collar off, there still might be live fleas in the house that will latch onto him and cause another infestation. we tried frontline plus on them, NOTHING. we tried a different brand of flea collar, and it’s like the fleas were just immune to everything. when i take him to the vet, i’ll ask for something else, an oral medication possibly; just anything to stop his skin condition and prevent fleas!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Diatomaceous earth is one possible way of dealing with fleas inside although it's dusty, but anyway you may need to consider cleaning for the inside fleas if you haven't already. Hang in there with this!

A product I like is from online Only Natural Pet called Easy Defense flea and tick spray but they have a variety of items for fleas, ticks and others.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ensure that it's food safe diatomaceous earth. Otherwise it is toxic.

Yes it's a very good defense. Also flea baths. I usually use Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo. They test on animals (or used to), so I've found it to be safe and more readily available.

Was all the cats bedding and such washed? Through the dryer for at least 20 minutes is best and then you can finish by hang drying if you prefer that. Any soft toys as well you can put them in a pillow case to prevent them from breaking.

You can get a flea spray for the house by Zodiac.

I've never used Frontline. Only Zodiac and Advantage. I'm not sure how long the topical ones take to work when you're already infested however.