Cat losing fur on belly

elulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Pics above.

Kitty is around 10 years old, spayed female. The little green mark that can be seen in the above images are remnants of her spay stitches.

I'm not sure why her belly has less fur, it's been this way ever since I returned to the US from an extended stay abroad around two months ago (she lives with family). Wasn't like this from what I remember when I left the US in April of last year (returned November).

She hasn't been liking the food family bought her so I purchased a different brand a few days ago that I know she likes more, which she has been enjoying. From a look when taking these pics today it does seem like there is a bit more fur on the belly than before, so perhaps the change in diet helped. Otherwise, she eats, drinks, and uses her litterbox normally.

Does anyone else have a cat with this? At first I thought it was because she was quite old and the age was just showing; her tail thinned out considerably in the last year, she is no longer as eager to jump high distances, and does not go as crazy playing with the laser pointer...but still does! lol. But there do seem to be improvements in the belly area and she's acting perfectly fine. :(

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be over grooming due to something causing her stress or, it could be an under lying issue internally. You may, with her age, want to get a blood test done. Maybe even x-rays and or ultra sound. My last cat Tama was scratching a lot to the point of causing scabs. Around the time he was doing it I had to take him in for his normal check up. He had no fleas or any other apparent reason for him to be doing this. They told me then that it could be an under lying issue but they didn't see anything in his balance or behavior that made them think anything was wrong. He was 16 and a lot of things I wrote off as him just getting old. It wasn't but 6 to 8 months later that he was diagnosed with cancer and passed away.

I don't mean to scare you or anything but, knowing what I know now, I would have her thoroughly checked out if you haven't done so in the last few years. I think around the age of 10 most vets recommend blood test every couple years anyway.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree with sabian sabian on many counts. If the belly hair is beginning to grow back in since you have returned, it is possible she was overgrooming because of your absence. Or, as you said, it could be the diet change that helped. Nonetheless, at her age, a full senior check up is in order - if for no other reason than getting a baseline to use as comparison for future check ups as she ages. It will certainly help with detecting any issues more expediently.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really think that, since the fur is re-growing, it was the stress of missing you, or the diet change. But I will also agree that a vet-check is in order, if for no other reason than it can be invaluable later on to have a "base-line" for her vitals and blood work. I had Hek's done when she turned 11 years old, so we would know what was normal for her.