Cat Loosing Weight

Carol.sen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is 13 yrs old and has been loosing weight constantly. Took him to emergency last night and Dr. Said he's emaciated. Taking meds for thyroid which is under control. Regular vet is telling me to wait a bit and try changing diet which we did but he continues to loose weight...he's strictly indoor cat.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding him, and how many calories per day is he eating?

You'll probably need to feed him with something that packs as many calories per ounce as possible. Kitten food may fit that bill. Aging cats also have increased protein needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carol.sen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What are you feeding him, and how many calories per day is he eating?

You'll probably need to feed him with something that packs as many calories per ounce as possible. Kitten food may fit that bill. Aging cats also have increased protein needs.
He's already on high protein food from his Vet, Royal Canine Gastrointestinal High Protein mixed with Fancy Feast which is the only way I get him to eat it

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know how many calories of food he's eating per day? Can you get him to eat more by adding some gently boiled meat or soft scrambled eggs?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You could also give him baby food- one of the meat meals. Just make sure that it doesn't contain onion or garlic, as these are poisonous to cats. If he's currently eating dry food, you could try him on wet, as some cats will find this more appetizing. If you heat wet food up in the microwave for a little bit (it should be at the temperature where it feels comfortable to put a finger in), that might also help because it will make the food smellier, which cats like. You could also try sprinkling some of your cat's favorite treats on top of the food.

Carol.sen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know how many calories of food he's eating per day? Can you get him to eat more by adding some gently boiled meat or soft scrambled eggs?
Tried giving him ground beef as recommended by Vet, but he was not impressed with that, I give him canned tuna sometimes and he likes that, as far as how many calories he's eating daily I have no idea...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Protein has 441 kcals per cup. Fancy Feast calories will be listed on the can or bag.

It might be handy for you to track how many calories he is eating per day, so that you know if his intake is increasing or decreasing.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would take him off the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Protein food and get him something with more meat protein in it, especially if he won't eat extra home cooked meat. The RC food looks like mostly corn, wheat, rice, wood and vegetable ingredients. The Royal Canin is too high in carbohydrates and carbs will not restore or build muscle mass in a cat.

Carol.sen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Protein has 441 kcals per cup. Fancy Feast calories will be listed on the can or bag.

It might be handy for you to track how many calories he is eating per day, so that you know if his intake is increasing or decreasing.
The Royal Canine lasts me about a week as I have to mix either other one, the Fancy feast probably 2days. Vet wanted him to eat 1 or half one of the Royal Canine bits that not happening as he would not take that food alone without the other, I'll check calories...never thought about that...I'm just panicking and so anxious about him Thank you

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it he on the Royal Cannin canned food? If so, I made a wrong assumption and looked up the dry food. The calorie count and ingredients will be quite different.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are the cat's teeth ok? Dental issues can be painful and a cat may not want to eat very much.

Mary Ann P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PLEASE consider better quality food. Most 'commercial' pet foods are garbage. Consider Cornucopia pet foods. It is only available on-line and it is expensive but what we eat is expensive too. Get the food and the supplements! E-mail the Doctor and he will answer you, he is great. He has devoted his life to making quality food for our loving pets! This food is 100% organic AND 100% human consumable! Commercial pet foods contain dead animals from "kill shelters" that should be a crime!! I will NEVER give that garbage to my pet again! PLEASE buy just one case and the supplements and see the difference it will make!