Cat loose

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello
I'm Bubblesmom and I need some help.
My grandson let my indoor cat out two weeks ago. I have tried everything I know to find out where she is hiding. Would any of you have good idea's on how to catch her or get her to be attracted to a live trap? I have 11 camera's on my property along with 9 live traps. I want to believe I almost had her in one trap except the trap was already tripped so she couldnt get in to eat. She has never been loose this long before and I'm starting to get worried about getting her back.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Bubblesmom2014 Bubblesmom2014 So sorry to hear your girl is loose.

Have you seen her on the cameras? If she is still close to home and coming out late at night to eat a few things there are a few things you could try.

Leaving her used cat litter in and around the trap rather than food.
Leaving something that smells very strongly of you, a worn t-shirt or used pillow case etc
Dust from your vacuum cleaner bag.

Cats are at their most active at sunset and sunrise, so this is the best times to look for her. Take a torch to shine under cars and porches and into tiny little hiding places. You'll see the light reflecting back from her eyes even if you can't see anything else.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have seen her on a few of our cameras. I have flyers up and have talked to all my neighbors. Only one neighbor is close enough to check their yard. I have been over there a few times but she could be hiding anywhere between here and the neighbors yard. She's closer than we think just can't find her hiding place to bring her home. If I knew where it was, I could just sit there and talk to her with treats and food waiting for her to come out.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always found that baiting a trap with something very appealing like Kentucky Fried Chicken is a huge incentive. Don't worry about the fact that the bait is not good for the cat but do whatever it takes. You aren't going to feed this food all the time once you recapture your baby.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a strong suspicion of where she’s hiding but can not confirm it. Hopefully my hubby’s new idea of a live trap will help us catch her. Instead of using the traditional live traps he made a modified box trap. It’s larger than the store bought ones. When he gets it finished I will post a picture

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so this evening around 10:15 one of my outside cameras picked up my cat. She looks good for being outside for two weeks. Now we just have to try and figure out where she’s hiding and go get her

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ll get her. It takes time and loads of patience but you are getting there. I just went through this with one of mine but they get a bit nervous and are more aware of their surroundings outside. She’s being cautious which is good. My girl was under a very tiny space under a storage building. I did get her though. Just keep doing what you’re doing. I think you are only steps behind her.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’ll get her. It takes time and loads of patience but you are getting there. I just went through this with one of mine but they get a bit nervous and are more aware of their surroundings outside. She’s being cautious which is good. My girl was under a very tiny space under a storage building. I did get her though. Just keep doing what you’re doing. I think you are only steps behind her.
I sure hope so! It’s been the worst two weeks of my life. I’m hoping she will eventually get hungry enough to go into one of the traps. But the waiting is nerve wracking for me. I can’t stand knowing she’s outside and I can’t get her

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is the weather comfortable enough for you to sit outside in the evening? She's probably close enough to hear you if you sit in your own yard. Go out around sunset. Take a deck chair and a blanket with you, so you'll be comfortable. A candle in a jar will give a more welcoming light than a torch will. Take something that smells very enticing, like KFC or an opened can of tuna. If she likes dry food take a bag of that to rustle, or a favourite toy with a bell on, etc.

Sit out and call her softly. Every 30 minutes or so get up and walk around the edge of your yard calling her. She'll hear you and see you and smell the food, but it may take her a while to understand that it really is you. Cats are used to seeing us in a certain place, so they get a bit freaked out when they see you somewhere you're not supposed to be.

I feed a couple of outdoor cats who are friendly enough for me to pet when they come to my door, but if I see them while I'm out on a walk they won't come anywhere near me.

Glad to hear you've seen her on camera, that must make you feel a bit better.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had the heaviest heart since she was let out of my house. I haven’t even been able to sleep very well because she usually sleeps right next to me every night and with her being outside for all this time 💔 I was excited to just see her and know she’s okay and not far away. Now we just have to figure out how to catch her because she won’t come to me even with her favorite treats. Any suggestions on how to get her close enough to catch I’m listening!

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need advice on whether or not to keep a lot of food stations out for her or just one? I kind of think we have too many traps with food in them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A family in my neighborhood is going through this right now. Identical to your story except that the cat accidentally feel from a second floor balcony and has now disappeared. Depending on your property, how much wildlife is around, anything else that would factor into your particular case, I might consider more than one trap. Three is my maximum set at once with careful monitoring. Try a really appealing bait. If you cannot get KFC, greasy frozen supermarket chicken is a good substitute.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A family in my neighborhood is going through this right now. Identical to your story except that the cat accidentally feel from a second floor balcony and has now disappeared. Depending on your property, how much wildlife is around, anything else that would factor into your particular case, I might consider more than one trap. Three is my maximum set at once with careful monitoring. Try a really appealing bait. If you cannot get KFC, greasy frozen supermarket chicken is a good substitute.
I have 2 for raccoons, and 6 traps specifically for cats. All the traps have cat food in them except the two for raccoons. The thing is bubbles will walk right past them even though they have food in them for her along with water

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have 2 for raccoons, and 6 traps specifically for cats. All the traps have cat food in them except the two for raccoons. The thing is bubbles will walk right past them even though they have food in them for her along with water
She must be getting food somewhere else. Is there any chance one of your neighbours is feeding her?

Try getting some Asian fish sauce, Nam Pla, diluting about 50/50 with water and spraying that around the trap. That will attract most animals.

Amazon.co.jp: Thai Taste - Fish Sauce - Nam Pla - 200ml: Food, Beverage & Alcohol

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will catch her. It’s just a matter of figuring out where her hiding place is. Once I can pin point it it’s on. I will go after her one way or another

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She must be getting food somewhere else. Is there any chance one of your neighbours is feeding her?

Try getting some Asian fish sauce, Nam Pla, diluting about 50/50 with water and spraying that around the trap. That will attract most animals.

Amazon.co.jp: Thai Taste - Fish Sauce - Nam Pla - 200ml: Food, Beverage & Alcohol
I have one neighbor and he doesn’t have food set out for any animals stray or other wise. He claims he has other animals roaming around here but I have been on his property looking for my bubbles and never seen any signs of him feeding any cats. I’m sure she’s eating something

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the weather comfortable enough for you to sit outside in the evening? She's probably close enough to hear you if you sit in your own yard. Go out around sunset. Take a deck chair and a blanket with you, so you'll be comfortable. A candle in a jar will give a more welcoming light than a torch will. Take something that smells very enticing, like KFC or an opened can of tuna. If she likes dry food take a bag of that to rustle, or a favourite toy with a bell on, etc.

Sit out and call her softly. Every 30 minutes or so get up and walk around the edge of your yard calling her. She'll hear you and see you and smell the food, but it may take her a while to understand that it really is you. Cats are used to seeing us in a certain place, so they get a bit freaked out when they see you somewhere you're not supposed to be.

I feed a couple of outdoor cats who are friendly enough for me to pet when they come to my door, but if I see them while I'm out on a walk they won't come anywhere near me.

Glad to hear you've seen her on camera, that must make you feel a bit better.
Some evenings it is decent, but today we are having scattered showers and thunderstorms due to a cool front coming in.
Seeing her on the camera's does help me a lot but it's irritating at the same time. I tried to catch her the other night but she heard the door open and got scared I don't know where she went. I know she's close by, it's just a matter of narrowing down where she's hiding

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an idea of the answer to this question, but once I find my cat and am reunited with her, should I keep her separated from the other cat and dogs for a few days until she has re acclimated to being in the house?

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement. A lot of people have told me to give up the search for her because she's been outside this long she doesn't want to be inside anymore. I beg to differ, she probably wishes she was inside!!! I know it's been the worst two weeks of my life and isn't getting any easier. I'm just hoping that one of my 14 camera's and 6 traps will help me reunite with my kitty! She is missed very much!!! I'm hoping that my husband will bring her in the house one morning before he goes to work. :):):)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how it feels. It took me two months to get my girl. She was happy to come back in so follow your instincts. You know her better than anyone else. They may have a few adventures but they still know what the comforts of home offer. No matter what, don’t give up. You’ll get her just when you least expect it. I did! Somewhere around 2 in the morning after talking to her from about 11 that previous morning. I spent time, off and on, all that day and night keeping her company and she finally just came and looked cautiously in the door ( did that twice) ventured in and stayed the second time. Time and patience. Everything will go at her pace with your encouragement and persistence.