Cat looks very out of it

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had a vet visit today and was diagnosed with cat flu. He's over the worst of it (we couldn't get an appointment when it started), but to ease any symptoms he may be having he was given 3 different shots (pain, anti-nausea & anti-inflammatory). He had them around 6 hours ago and he's acting very strange. The vet said he will be sleepy, but he's the complete opposite. Ever since he got home (approx. 4/5 hours ago) he has wide eyes with large pupils and won't go to sleep. I tried to put him to bed and finally he lay down, but literally don't even close his eyes.
He's purring, excessively cuddling and overall showing no worrying signs apart from looking and acting very "high". I'm worried the dosage given was too high or that maybe the combination of all of those 3 injections was too much. Is this normal? Should I look out for anything?
P.s. he ate some food when he came home, but won't touch it now. He ate his chicken yoghurt sachet and cat milk normally. Thanks

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what you are describing, it sounds like the pain med used was a type of opioid. Opioids can have a stimulating effect in cats. As far as the possibility of an overdose, I would expect to see respiratory signs/decreased respiratory rate if an overdose had occurred.

Excitatory behavior is a well documented side effect with opioids in cats. I would caution using opioids in your kitty in the future due to his response. If you are concerned about his behavior, I would recommend contacting your vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Validate what kind of pain med was given, as BlackCatOp BlackCatOp has suggested it could be some sort of opioid. I would call the vet and tell them what you are seeing. Ask if the pain med, once in full force, could affect his desire to eat, since he was given an anti-nausea med, and then did at first eat but is now not interested. Also, depending on his age, ask the vet if this kind of reaction could do with his age (kitten or older). Please keep us posted!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I'm not concerned about an overdose as he's breathing very well. The vet didn't inform me what he was specifically administrating, but my cats have been given those injections too and didn't act like this (not all 3, but a combination of 2). It's very strange because his eyes can be fixed on one thing for a long time and he just looks weird. He stared out of the window for over an hour!

I'll definitely be asking next time as I had no idea they used opioids. My mind is definitely at ease. I had the phone ready for the vet in case, but he seems to be calming down a little. Thanks again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Validate what kind of pain med was given, as BlackCatOp BlackCatOp has suggested it could be some sort of opioid. I would call the vet and tell them what you are seeing. Ask if the pain med, once in full force, could affect his desire to eat, since he was given an anti-nausea med, and then did at first eat but is now not interested. Also, depending on his age, ask the vet if this kind of reaction could do with his age (kitten or older). Please keep us posted!!
It would definitely make sense! I've never seen any of my cats act this way and they've been given these medications in the past. They had wide eyes and such, but not this strange. He seemed almost like he was freaked out by certain things. He's calming down a little now as I've been keeping a close eye on him. The vet is closed now, but I do have an emergency line just in case. I'll definitely have to follow up with the vet the next day. Will keep posting updates! Thanks for the reply.