Cat looks like he needs help and very hungry but don’t know if he has a owner

Sm0lTato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My partner and I found a cat meowing (almost like he was scared or in pain) super loud under a car, it was so loud we heard it from the end of the road. I panicked and thought maybe it was a injured cat but he looked fine, just a little skinny. I want to know if he would be feral or not, he seems way too friendly but does not have a collar (read more for details), if he is feral, my partner and I would like to take him to the vet to have a check up and ask for advice since my landlord does not allow pets.

The cat won’t stop following me and would be rubbing himself at my feet while we walk. He hangs around the neighborhood so I thought he might have an owner but it looks so scared and anxious of its surroundings, also with that loud, painful sounding meows, I’d assume the owner would run out to see what’s going on, because I could hear it far away let alone the cat meowing in-front of a house under a car. I then noticed a big and fatter cat come up to the cat and the poor guy panicked and ran to a bush, the fat cat then ran into the bush and beat him up. From that we assumed the cat was being bullied by bigger cats and have no where to go since it’s being locked outside, resorted to seeking shelter under cars and humans for protection.
I went to the store to get cat food and some ice cream for myself (30mins-1hour), came back and he was still in the same area. He recognized us and devoured the food in 3 minutes, I’m not experienced with cats so I wasn’t sure if it just loves food or he wasn’t fed properly.

Any advice for what to do would help greatly, I will be visiting the cat daily with water and food (just in case).:cringe: 48AAB828-55ED-4CB7-8D8F-0712EC3581D0.jpeg
374B1BA6-82CC-479D-83BF-413446045F69.png
07D0D378-0921-4A84-88F0-91354EF1CB1C.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been confronted by starving cats who ran out from under cars as I walked by begging for food. Two of my cats, now deceased, Zoe and Stella, I got in exactly the way that you are describing. This cat is way too friendly to be a feral. Starving ferals will not approach a human but a cat who at one time had humans and knows that humans bring food will. I agree that he is a lost or abandoned pet and you should do what you can to help him.

You are very kind to have helped this cat. Unfortunately, there is no "just in case" in his case. He needs you give him food in order to survive so please don't discontinue until you figure out a solution for him. No, it is not your responsibility, but I guarantee you that this cat is beyond belief that he found someone who gave him food. Please post how this progresses and you can get help and ideas here.

Inthedesert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor guy. He is either lost or a thrown away pet and he isnt doing well on the street. Is there any chance you can pick him up or trap him and have him checked for a microchip? If you can’t keep him until an owner can be found then bring him to a shelter.
I agree. That sounds like a cat who got dumped off. I have one like that right now, I suspect got dumped. We were at the vet yesterday. Hes trying SO hard to please. A really good boy. Ive had him about a week, and hes already gained 1 pound 😊

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do help this kitty. I recently had someone let my girl, a strictly indoor cat, outside. She has been missing a month and I am searching everywhere for her. I would like to think that someone, somewhere would help her if they found her. She is chipped but you have to get a vet to scan them to know this. In the past I have found, and reunited lost cats with their families. It’s heartbreaking to lose a loved fur baby and this one acts as though it was a protected kitty at some time. A vet, shelter or rescue may help. Check online at sites like Nextdoor for missing kitties. Put up “Found Cat” signs and flyers at places like the local post office and vet clinics. Maybe she was dumped but she definitely needs help. Thank you so much for watching over her! It gives me hope for my girl. :thanks::rock::clapcat::goldstar:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sm0lTato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been confronted by starving cats who ran out from under cars as I walked by begging for food. Two of my cats, now deceased, Zoe and Stella, I got in exactly the way that you are describing. This cat is way too friendly to be a feral. Starving ferals will not approach a human but a cat who at one time had humans and knows that humans bring food will. I agree that he is a lost or abandoned pet and you should do what you can to help him.

You are very kind to have helped this cat. Unfortunately, there is no "just in case" in his case. He needs you give him food in order to survive so please don't discontinue until you figure out a solution for him. No, it is not your responsibility, but I guarantee you that this cat is beyond belief that he found someone who gave him food. Please post how this progresses and you can get help and ideas here.
Thank you for the advice, I’ve come back again to feed him, he only comes out at night since I tried looking for him during the day and he was no where to be found. My partner and I are scared that if we take him to the vet we may be “stealing” someone’s cat, he looks to be very clean just a little malnourished and scared of the outside world (probably the bullies).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You aren't stealing if you are taking him to find whether or not he has a microchip. If he does, he will be returned to his owners more than likely and if he does not you can proceed from there.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Streetlife is difficult for cats.
You may consider leaving a note on-site, for a presumptive owner.
Some cats may roam very long distances, so I am not sure that the owner lives near the place you found the cat.