Cat litter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jealous!! I’ve wanted one for so long but think my girls are too big and would not use it. I’ll google and get some info on the litter, thank you
How big? It supposedly fits all size cats. I have smaller cats (all around 8 pounds) and they took right to it. I would never go back to a regular box. We are all spoiled now haha

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On the paper pellets are you using a sifter box? This is the stuff that breaks down into saw dust right?
No the paper pellets do not break down in any way. The ones that break down is Yesterday's News.

There's no clumping agent in the one I use so no way to use a sifter box or slatted scoop. I use a scoop with no holes from the dollar store.

Regular Okocat wood pellets can work with a sifter box IF it is wide slats.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also how did you transition your cats to this?
I always transition by making 1 box all new litter and leaving the rest as old litter. The length of time depends on how long it takes them to use the new one. Then I switch to 2 new and use the last box to finish off any of the old I have left.
This is the least stressful method for my cats. Nobel doesn't have any stress flare ups of FLUTD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic of the Arm and Hammer Double Duty clumping litter, with a quarter to get an idea of the size of the grains.
And in case anyone is wondering, I used clean litter for the pic. ;)

View attachment 434389
Okay great thank you! That looks like it has some weight to it which in my case is a good thing.. The arm in hammer I tried in the past was that sandy grainy kind and stuck all over my long hair cats booty and leg hairs.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How big? It supposedly fits all size cats. I have smaller cats (all around 8 pounds) and they took right to it. I would never go back to a regular box. We are all spoiled now haha
One cat is 15 pounds the other is 11 but she is very long like Maine coon style.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always transition by making 1 box all new litter and leaving the rest as old litter. The length of time depends on how long it takes them to use the new one. Then I switch to 2 new and use the last box to finish off any of the old I have left.
This is the least stressful method for my cats. Nobel doesn't have any stress flare ups of FLUTD.
Sorry for all the questions. I pulled out a bag the the paper pallets I had bought several months ago. I put it down for a week, they never used it so I put it back in the package and it’s sat in the closet. Anyhow I put a 5th litter box just to see if they would use it vs this dusty crap before I buy the suggested brand. I put my hand with weight across the top of the box to get an idea of what their feet would feel. I got stabbed like crazy with sharp shards. Looking closer many of the pellets are broken and very sharp. I kind of want to pick it as not to give a bad experience. Do you see this with your brand?
Also is it very noticeable once the cat uses it? Will I easily tell that it wet? Sorry the pictures of the single pellets don’t come out well as they are near the same color as my floor…

also there is foil stuck to the ends of some pellets and weird plastic things..
EE87CBD0-52A3-4F22-91AE-8BF96B19E857.jpeg
A529E9C3-F00C-475B-AEC6-643D26EB6216.jpeg
A5B1C377-5CCA-4284-880B-107A95C5BC2A.jpeg
15FC69F9-3693-4BBC-A1E0-BF2B2B608BE5.jpeg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for all the questions. I pulled out a bag the the paper pallets I had bought several months ago. I put it down for a week, they never used it so I put it back in the package and it’s sat in the closet. Anyhow I put a 5th litter box just to see if they would use it vs this dusty crap before I buy the suggested brand. I put my hand with weight across the top of the box to get an idea of what their feet would feel. I got stabbed like crazy with sharp shards. Looking closer many of the pellets are broken and very sharp. I kind of want to pick it as not to give a bad experience. Do you see this with your brand?
Also is it very noticeable once the cat uses it? Will I easily tell that it wet? Sorry the pictures of the single pellets don’t come out well as they are near the same color as my floor…

also there is foil stuck to the ends of some pellets and weird plastic things..
That looks like Yesterday's News. I only used a kitten box sized amount given to me by Magnus's foster mum. We only had it out for a day as I found it smelled strongly of urine after one pee. She said the boys preferred to use the adult litter in the morning which was wood pellets. I don't remember if it looked different when soiled.

Some cats have trouble adjusting to the way the pellets feel and you have to place some corn or something on top.

Yesterday's News is made out of newspapers so it has various colours. I don't know about plastic bits.

Okocat paper pellets look very different. The pellets are smaller. When it's used it looks darker. See attached photo :)

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What kind do you use?
My boy has been using bentonite clumping litter since the first day he came home when he was around 3 - 4 weeks old. He's now coming to 7 years old.

Bentonite clumping litter is too dusty for him and me. My boy likes to dig and dig with his nose very close to the litter and thus inhale lots litter dust which I experience while scooping his litter and while pouring in new litter for him and I can see clouds of dust falling from the bag. I have to wear a mask each time I clean his litter box.

My boy pees a lot each time and almost each time he pees, his leg9s) is soaked in the litter and I have to clean his leg(s) and that is when I'm home. Sometimes when I'm not home, he'll leave litter stain around the house and I know that he'll ingest the litter when he grooms/cleans himself after he pees and works, if his leg(s) was soaked in the pee. And also after he does his business whether pee or poo, litter is all over the place.

At the beginning of October '22, I started to switch his litter over to Tofu Cat Litter, as Tofu litter has much much less dust and it's safe if ingested and the clumping is better than clay because my boys pees a lot and always leave a puddle of pee and sometimes his leg(s) get soaked in the pee while peeing.
Of course he was not use to the texture and was feeling weary during the times he needs to do his business because the scent and feel is different form clay litter. He'll go in and jump out several times till he cannot hold on any more, he'll then start to dig cautiously and eventually pee or poo.

I did not do a 100% change of litter. I sprinkled some new litter over the old one and gradually increased the amount and try to get a good mixture of old and new at different level of the old litterbox so that when he digs, he'll feel the different texture.

So each time I clear his pee or poo clump, I clear off a little more of the clay litter and top up with the new litter. Gradually the clay litter will become less and the new litter will be more. I left another litterbox close to his present litterbox just for him to get used to the scent and eventually when the clay litter runs low, I'll switch the new litterbox over. Also I left his fresh pee in a bag and placed it in the new litterbox so that he can smell his pee and hopefully he'll use the new box but to date, he has not use it yet.

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

I mixed another smaller pellet (grey) as it is a little closer in texture to the clay litter which eventually I think I should be using the smaller size pellet as the feel is closer to the clay litter.
IMG_2867.jpg

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That looks like Yesterday's News. I only used a kitten box sized amount given to me by Magnus's foster mum. We only had it out for a day as I found it smelled strongly of urine after one pee. She said the boys preferred to use the adult litter in the morning which was wood pellets. I don't remember if it looked different when soiled.

Some cats have trouble adjusting to the way the pellets feel and you have to place some corn or something on top.

Yesterday's News is made out of newspapers so it has various colours. I don't know about plastic bits.

Okocat paper pellets look very different. The pellets are smaller. When it's used it looks darker. See attached photo :)
Thank you so much for taking the time to give so much detail. I’m going to chunk this stuff, order what you have suggest and start over new. The name of this stuff is exquisicat. I picked it way back when because it has good reviews and seemed to be a good price point. I’ve given up on online reviews tho as so many are paid for thru incentives. So hard to go by them anymore. Thank you again!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking the time to give so much detail. I’m going to chunk this stuff, order what you have suggest and start over new. The name of this stuff is exquisicat. I picked it way back when because it has good reviews and seemed to be a good price point. I’ve given up on online reviews tho as so many are paid for thru incentives. So hard to go by them anymore. Thank you again!
Perhaps you could donate it instead to a local rescue?

i agree about the reviews! It's hard to tell.

I have really liked Okocat and Catit (the nonscented one).

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy has been using bentonite clumping litter since the first day he came home when he was around 3 - 4 weeks old. He's now coming to 7 years old.

Bentonite clumping litter is too dusty for him and me. My boy likes to dig and dig with his nose very close to the litter and thus inhale lots litter dust which I experience while scooping his litter and while pouring in new litter for him and I can see clouds of dust falling from the bag. I have to wear a mask each time I clean his litter box.

My boy pees a lot each time and almost each time he pees, his leg9s) is soaked in the litter and I have to clean his leg(s) and that is when I'm home. Sometimes when I'm not home, he'll leave litter stain around the house and I know that he'll ingest the litter when he grooms/cleans himself after he pees and works, if his leg(s) was soaked in the pee. And also after he does his business whether pee or poo, litter is all over the place.

At the beginning of October '22, I started to switch his litter over to Tofu Cat Litter, as Tofu litter has much much less dust and it's safe if ingested and the clumping is better than clay because my boys pees a lot and always leave a puddle of pee and sometimes his leg(s) get soaked in the pee while peeing.
Of course he was not use to the texture and was feeling weary during the times he needs to do his business because the scent and feel is different form clay litter. He'll go in and jump out several times till he cannot hold on any more, he'll then start to dig cautiously and eventually pee or poo.

I did not do a 100% change of litter. I sprinkled some new litter over the old one and gradually increased the amount and try to get a good mixture of old and new at different level of the old litterbox so that when he digs, he'll feel the different texture.

So each time I clear his pee or poo clump, I clear off a little more of the clay litter and top up with the new litter. Gradually the clay litter will become less and the new litter will be more. I left another litterbox close to his present litterbox just for him to get used to the scent and eventually when the clay litter runs low, I'll switch the new litterbox over. Also I left his fresh pee in a bag and placed it in the new litterbox so that he can smell his pee and hopefully he'll use the new box but to date, he has not use it yet.

View attachment 434665

View attachment 434666

View attachment 434667

I mixed another smaller pellet (grey) as it is a little closer in texture to the clay litter which eventually I think I should be using the smaller size pellet as the feel is closer to the clay litter.
View attachment 434668
Mind.Blown tofu litter! Never heard of it! I just did a quick google before responding and I’m seeing a couple of options. I’ll have to look more into this. I think you are doing a fantastic job on your transition. That’s something the breeze system pressed upon…. Putting the old poo in the new box. I totally forgot about that. I have the same issue with my long hair cat. I know she has ate soooo much litter as it just sticks all over her.
So you mentioned you have two sizes of pellets. Are you using two different brands? How is the smell or the litter and the smell of it after use?

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could donate it instead to a local rescue?

i agree about the reviews! It's hard to tell.

I have really liked Okocat and Catit (the nonscented one).
Great idea to donate! I am new to a small city but I’m sure if nothing else may the vet could use. Thanks again !

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Mind.Blown tofu litter! Never heard of it! I just did a quick google before responding and I’m seeing a couple of options. I’ll have to look more into this. I think you are doing a fantastic job on your transition. That’s something the breeze system pressed upon…. Putting the old poo in the new box. I totally forgot about that. I have the same issue with my long hair cat. I know she has ate soooo much litter as it just sticks all over her.
So you mentioned you have two sizes of pellets. Are you using two different brands? How is the smell or the litter and the smell of it after use?
My boy is still using the old litter box with the mixture of Clay litter and the new Tofu litter. so far, the tracking is much better though the Clay and Tofu pellets still get stuck in his paws whenever he comes out of the litter box. But it's much less than before. Even though manufacturers claim that it's 99% dust free and no tracking, I think it's not accurate but definitely the Tofu is much much much less dust and much much much much less tracking even though he has not transited over to full Tofu litter.

He has not gone into the new litter box to do his business yet but just go in and nibble on the litter. Once the Clay litter in the old litterbox is way low, I'll sieve out the balance Tofu litter and top it up into the new litterbox.

I bought 3 different brands of Tofu litter as it's my first time buying them and I don't know what to expect. The first 2 brands I bought was in natural scent and the 3rd brand I bought was Charcoal scent reason for this scent is to musk of the natural scents of the other 2 brands as they smell like milk even tough it says natural scent. And also the charcoal one is grayish and looks like the color of the Clay litter and the other 2 is creamy white in color.
I guess many brands of litter comes scented and unscented and I though natural scent is neutral but it smells like milk so I bought the Charcoal scent to musk the milky scent. Some brands even have scents called activated charcoal.

All 3 brands comes in different size pellets. The one I bought was 3mm in size and the Charcoal one is 2mm which is thinner and I think it is closer to the Clay litter when step on. My boy feels weird stepping onto the new litter. So I'll be ordering more of the 2mm Charcoal scent to mix with the rest and eventually use the Charcoal scent which is smaller in size and I hope it'll be alright for my boy to use.

So far the containment of pee smell is pretty good but I can't really say for the poo because I clear the poo immediately after he poops. One other thing good about this Tofu litter is it is supposed clump up the pee pretty well and once mixed with water it dissolves and can be flushed through the toilet and they claim that it's safe to ingest. You can Youtube Tofu Litter and see it for yourself.

IMG_2870.JPG

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy is still using the old litter box with the mixture of Clay litter and the new Tofu litter. so far, the tracking is much better though the Clay and Tofu pellets still get stuck in his paws whenever he comes out of the litter box. But it's much less than before. Even though manufacturers claim that it's 99% dust free and no tracking, I think it's not accurate but definitely the Tofu is much much much less dust and much much much much less tracking even though he has not transited over to full Tofu litter.

He has not gone into the new litter box to do his business yet but just go in and nibble on the litter. Once the Clay litter in the old litterbox is way low, I'll sieve out the balance Tofu litter and top it up into the new litterbox.

I bought 3 different brands of Tofu litter as it's my first time buying them and I don't know what to expect. The first 2 brands I bought was in natural scent and the 3rd brand I bought was Charcoal scent reason for this scent is to musk of the natural scents of the other 2 brands as they smell like milk even tough it says natural scent. And also the charcoal one is grayish and looks like the color of the Clay litter and the other 2 is creamy white in color.
I guess many brands of litter comes scented and unscented and I though natural scent is neutral but it smells like milk so I bought the Charcoal scent to musk the milky scent. Some brands even have scents called activated charcoal.

All 3 brands comes in different size pellets. The one I bought was 3mm in size and the Charcoal one is 2mm which is thinner and I think it is closer to the Clay litter when step on. My boy feels weird stepping onto the new litter. So I'll be ordering more of the 2mm Charcoal scent to mix with the rest and eventually use the Charcoal scent which is smaller in size and I hope it'll be alright for my boy to use.

So far the containment of pee smell is pretty good but I can't really say for the poo because I clear the poo immediately after he poops. One other thing good about this Tofu litter is it is supposed clump up the pee pretty well and once mixed with water it dissolves and can be flushed through the toilet and they claim that it's safe to ingest. You can Youtube Tofu Litter and see it for yourself.

View attachment 434763
Wow that all sounds pretty neat! I would prob go with the charcoal as well. I am not keen to scented things! That’s pretty awesome that it is safe to flush the litter as well. Can you keep us updated in a couple of weeks and let us know how it working out once you make the final switch over? I’m also curious to see if this stuff ends up sticking in the hair. I’ll check out YouTube as you mentioned as well. Thank you!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wow that all sounds pretty neat! I would prob go with the charcoal as well. I am not keen to scented things! That’s pretty awesome that it is safe to flush the litter as well. Can you keep us updated in a couple of weeks and let us know how it working out once you make the final switch over? I’m also curious to see if this stuff ends up sticking in the hair. I’ll check out YouTube as you mentioned as well. Thank you!
The Charcoal still has a scent but not as flowery or milky or fruity but I guess it's better than any of these scents.

I'm still waiting for the Clay litter to drop to a lower level before I sieve the pellets out and put it in the new litterbox. I dare not make a quick change and I'll still do the transition slowly. My boy still doesn't go into the other litterbox and so at the end, I hope I can transit him over.

I think as long as the pellet is not damp due to the pee, I think it won't stick to the hair. If your cat does not pee a lot, should be ok. My boy pee form a lake after he's done and usually his legs will be soaked in it and if I'm not around to catch him after he pees, he's going to lick all the clay into his system.

You check out the YouTube on it and you may get a better understanding of the Tofu litter as it comes in different sizes and scents.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Charcoal still has a scent but not as flowery or milky or fruity but I guess it's better than any of these scents.

I'm still waiting for the Clay litter to drop to a lower level before I sieve the pellets out and put it in the new litterbox. I dare not make a quick change and I'll still do the transition slowly. My boy still doesn't go into the other litterbox and so at the end, I hope I can transit him over.

I think as long as the pellet is not damp due to the pee, I think it won't stick to the hair. If your cat does not pee a lot, should be ok. My boy pee form a lake after he's done and usually his legs will be soaked in it and if I'm not around to catch him after he pees, he's going to lick all the clay into his system.

You check out the YouTube on it and you may get a better understanding of the Tofu litter as it comes in different sizes and scents.
I hope your guy will end up making the switch. Wishing you luck!!

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom

I just bought unscented tofu (8lbs for $19) litter because thats all chewy had in stock. PS, they're have a special deal for national cat day.

Will I smell it since I got unscented? Worse comes to worse, I could always use baking soda or one of those scented baking sodas.