Cat litter with least amount of dust?

TV Dinner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I buy "dust-free" cat litter from my local store and have found most of them to still have an incredible amount of dust that gets kicked up when my cat uses it. Can anyone suggest any that actually is minimal dust?

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's brand. It's a bit more expensive but it's available on Chewy and the regular version doesn't have much dust at all. They also have a respiratory relief one, although I have found that one to be a bit dustier than their regular.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I havent noticed much dust with World's Best. If you don't like scents don't get the lavender.

Weird point I noticed. When you get a tight vacuum sealed pack that is practically a block, the scent is MUCH stronger than when it's loose (like it didn't vacuum well).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fresh Step and Scoop Away at Walmart beat the more expensive brands hands down. They not only have less dust they track less and control odor better. I tried that lightweight litter, what a nightmare. Somehow my cats stepped in it while they peed, maybe pooled around their feet? They then tracked big white cat tracks that looked like mud everywhere! I ran down and got more Scoop Away after cleaning my wood floors daily. No more problem!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried that lightweight litter, what a nightmare. Somehow my cats stepped in it while they peed, maybe pooled around their feet? They then tracked big white cat tracks that looked like mud everywhere!
Ugh, yes! I wanted to like the lightweight litter but that stuff is awful. It's also super sticky at the bottom of the litterbox, if you try to scrape it out it just sticks to the scraper and makes a huge mess.

I like Tidy Cats with the black lid (4-in-1) or the light teal (unscented) lid. I find those 2 formulas to be less dusty than the red or blue lid "standard" formulas. Fresh Step unscented is also pretty decent, I don't care for the scented kind though.

mrb2563

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love World's Best Cat litter. 28 pounds lasts 3 weeks with two cats and it does not have irritating perfumes or chemicals to me or my cats (at least not the one I buy) and a low dust factor. I clean it once a day and no one knows I have a cat... Well at least until they see the hair on my clothes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m pretty sure you both refer to lightweight clay litter. Grass seed litter is very lightweight but it doesn’t have any of the problems you bring up.
Oh yeah definitely. I meant the "lightweight" versions of the usual clumping clay litters.

One possible problem with lightweight litters, whether clay or otherwise, is that the cat may be able to tip over the litterbox. That happened to me a few times; the cats stepped on the edge of the box and everything went flying.

mrb2563

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So do I. I use the Febreeze scented one. I have litter boxes on each side of my bedroom dresser and there is never an abundance of dust from the boxes on the dresser.
I havent noticed much dust with World's Best. If you don't like scents don't get the lavender.

Weird point I noticed. When you get a tight vacuum sealed pack that is practically a block, the scent is MUCH stronger than when it's loose (like it didn't vacuum well).
I noticed that too, but it isn't unpleasant.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use grass seed by smart cat. Haven't had any issues with dust when it comes to grass seed in general, and the odor control is decent. It has a natural earthy smell, like a clean barn, if you stick your face into it lol

I recently tried the PetFive Sustainably Yours litter and despite the sand like texture the dust was almost non-existent. Clumping was the best I have ever seen. Downside was absolutely no odor control, and my boys hated it. So back to grass seed.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use arm& hammer clump an seal cloud control no dust clouds when graycie digs but it does track out but not much i can do about whats caught between her toes etc :lol: all part of having a cat

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently tried the PetFive Sustainably Yours litter and despite the sand like texture the dust was almost non-existent. Clumping was the best I have ever seen. Downside was absolutely no odor control, and my boys hated it. So back to grass seed.
The clumping of this litter is out of this world :D I agree the dust is not bad too. And I’m pretty sure for some cats the sand like texture is a plus, mine liked it a lot. I don’t use it though because it doesn’t absorb urine quick enough and my boy tends to lower his butt a little bit too much :D and he ended up with this litter crumbles on his back end, very difficult to remove because it clumps so well and sticks to the fur. And it’s soooo expensive. Also, it’s tapioca and corn which makes me feel uneasy. I do however sometimes mix it with grass litter (I use Garfield which is the same as Sustainably Yours but cheaper, although hardly ever available on Amazon) because clumping is so good that it really helps to clean the high corners of the litter box where my girl pees- nothing sticks to the litter box with this litter.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The clumping of this litter is out of this world :D I agree the dust is not bad too. And I’m pretty sure for some cats the sand like texture is a plus, mine liked it a lot. I don’t use it though because it doesn’t absorb urine quick enough and my boy tends to lower his butt a little bit too much :D and he ended up with this litter crumbles on his back end, very difficult to remove because it clumps so well and sticks to the fur. And it’s soooo expensive. Also, it’s tapioca and corn which makes me feel uneasy. I do however sometimes mix it with grass litter (I use Garfield which is the same as Sustainably Yours but cheaper, although hardly ever available on Amazon) because clumping is so good that it really helps to clean the high corners of the litter box where my girl pees- nothing sticks to the litter box with this litter.
Right?? I never had to scrape pee off the bottom of the box or anything. The clumps were like rocks. Litter sticks to my boys' butts too but they always get to it before it dries so I never had any issues.

I'm glad yours liked the texture. I thought mine would because of how Teddy prefers to scratch on the sides of the box instead of the actual litter, but they acted like I had committed some kind of secret cat crime when I introduced the petfive lol

Never heard of Garfield. I'll have to look into that one.

TriciaS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As others have said, grass seed is what I like the best. SmartCat or I use Chewy's Brand,Frisco, unscented grass seed. If you want clay, the Dr. Elsey litters work great too. I have tried a good share of the litters out there and these are the only two clumping litters that I have found are dust free. I have a cat with mild asthma and even litters that say they are low dust like World's Best and Swheat Scoop have all triggered asthma attacks. I've been using the grass litters for two years now and he has had no asthma attacks.